Dark Tranquillity in Warsaw - impressions

grzybik

Mar 30, 2002
Warsaw - Poland
First band was Enslaved. I'm familiar only with their older stuff like 'Frost', "Eld" and split album Emperor but I enjoyed their their show, crowd response was good espiecially when they played old songs like 'Jotunblod' or 'Loke'.
Next band was Rotting Christ, IMO it was a good show but maybe too many new songs from 'Genesis', but still crowd went wild. They played only one song from "Thy Mighty Contract" (that was mad moshpit when they played it). And Lastly Dark Tranquillity. Here's tracklist, in no particular order:

The Wonders at Your Feet
The Treason Wall
Hours Passed In Exile
Haven
There In
Punish My Heaven
White Noise Black Silence
Hedon
Insanity's Crescendo
Lethe
Format C: For Cortex
Final Resistance
Not Built to Last
Damage Done
Zodijackyl Light

Mikael Stanne have great stage presence and good interaction with polish metalhaeds, their response was great too.
Crowd requested something from "Skydancer" but unfortunately they don't play it. Only dissapointment no "Monochromatic Stains"

Summary: All bands played for 1 hour: Enslaved was good the rest of bands were great.

:headbang:

EDIT: I mistook the Warsaw gig for the DVD filming, when it's actually Krakow on Monday :cry:
Let's hope they play the same list on Monday (extra songs aren't going to do harm though). Of the 15 songs on that list 9 were on my 15 song dreamlist I posted a while ago. The only song that I think really should have been there is The Sun Fired Blanks (here's to Monday), but Insanity's Crescendo is a nice surprise, so I'm not complaining (they better play that on Monday too). Thanks for the info grzybik!

Very cool setlist. I was gonna say that the setlist couldve been better but yeah....thats a really good varied setlist with DD of course dominating hehe. Tho I do find it odd there was no Monochromatic Stains, since its the song they have a video out for (and one of the better songs on DD)

But I'm jealous :D Hope they come back to the US for the bums who missed them :cry:

they should've played Monochromatic Satins or Hours Passed instead of Final Resistance, well, I'm not in Warsaw

They definitely should play something from Projector as well - both Sun Fired Blanks and UnDo Control have been on their recent setlists, so I really hope either of them will appear on the DVD as well.

Any idea of what kind of extra there might be on the DVD? I tried to mail Niklas some questions about the whole DVD, but he had already left for Poland...

-Villain

I *think* that they do not play song from Projector because it would be very hard for Mikael to sing clean only for 1 or 2 songs and only small parts of 'em... He would have to practice a lot more his clean voice before every show, and I guess that it is not very convenient.

Samarkol

Had I know ROTTING CHRIST were who these guys were touring with .. . haven't seen them since '99, I believe, here in the States and the liklihood of my seeing them again (Stateside, anyhow) is SLIM-TO-NONE!

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!!

You lucky SOB! Stanne & Sakis in the same evening!!

Originally posted by Wanderingblade
Villain: Therein is on that list...

D'oh! Anyway, my relationship with this particular song is really more a ignorance/hate -one than anything else Thanatos tries to imply. It is an okay song, but there are many far better ones on Projector, IMHO. Thus, I'd really be disappointed, if neither Sun Fired Blanks or UnDo Control appeared on the DVD.

-Villain