Metal mix with zero samples used

Hey man that sounds cool.. it's really unique compared to the sounds pulled around here I think. Respect to not using any samples either... For some reason this mix gives me a bit of a System of a Down vibe... I dunno why! Anyhow... I think the kick may just be a little bit too much. I know you seem to be going for that huge sub drop every time the kick gets hit, but it's probably really eating up your headroom! The snare is a personal taste thing... I think it works great for the song in question, but I tend to prefer slightly more roomy/fat snare sounds. The overall sound is great though... you should be proud!

+1 on everything mentioned, and the song is cool, too. Except for the part with the blast beats and high screams..not my cup of tea.

Sounds good. Really digging it. Especially the overall warm and dynamic sound. The kick might have just a bit too much low end though... After a couple of minutes that huge "thump" started to feel too dominating.

Thanks! You might be right about the kick. I forgot to mention that this is not the mastered version. It will be mastered elsewhere. I will ask the mastering engineer if he wants the kick with less "energy" :)

DRUMS

My Tama Crestar (birch set) w/ Sonor metal piccolo snare (22", 8", 10", 12" and 14").
Aquarian and Remo heads.

- Kick Inside: Beyerdynamic M88 N(C)
- Kick Outside: DIY subkick
- Snare Top: EV Co4
- Snare Bottom: GA Project FC4
- Rack Toms: Sennheiser BF 504
- Floor Tom: Sennheiser E602
- Overheads: Rode NT5
- Ride: GA Project FC4
- HH: Shure SM7B
- Kit Front: Audio-Technica AT4047SV (didn't use this one in the mix)
- Mono Ambience: Shure SM57

Mic preamps were mostly my MS Audiotron modules (w/ Lundahl transformers) and D&R Mic Amp.
Converters: RME Fireface 800 and Fostex AC2496.

The drums were recorded in a very small room in a low basement.

GUITARS

- EMG81, I don't remember anything else ;)
- TS808 clone
- Peavey Windsor (cheap as hell!)
- Marshall 1960 cab
- Shure SM57 & Sennheiser E606
- D&R Mic Amp

BASS

- Peavey Windsor
- Mesa Vintage PowerHouse 1000 bass cab

VOCALS

- Audio-Technica AT4047SV
- TLA 5050 Ivory II (compressor on)

Dude, that song totally rules, when your album is done I WILL own it, your singer is a complete maniac, I love it. The mix is awesome, Rock on.

Really cool song dude, that kick is totally dominating the low end, can't make out the bass much?! Agree blasts are lost on the snare. But I really like the vibe of the mix anyway man!

if only your methods were contagious, the music world might be saved.