Metal mix with zero samples used

Gonna have to check out one of those Windsor amps. Looks like a Chinese built JCM 8-900 clone with reso & prescence controls thrown in for good measure. Not only that, I live in Windsor, Ontario!

429792.jpg

Only $399 for an all tube head in the ever-weakening US greenback. Fucking cool.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=481331

Definitely like the remix better, the whole mix just sounds warmer and less harsh. Although I think the snare gets lost in the blast beat on this mix, but I didn't feel that way on the first mix.

The snare doesn't bother me or the drummer. It's called dynamics ;) Can't wait to hear the mastered version! Hopefully it will sound even better. I will post some more info about the band when they have their website up and running.

I have to agree with you on the whole dynamics issue. That's why I like live bands better than Studio (as long as they can play good). You get to hear everything, the way it was meant to be. That doesn't mean I don't like killer studio work, but if the band is tight, they should sound better live IMO, although, very few bands can pull that off. Plus I like the fact that you did not use triggers or samplers to replace sounds, and still got a killer mix. Not to sound like a I'm dissing on mix or thought of dynamics, but I always thought that in terms of dynamics, blast beats tend to dominate the music, not get buried? Just thinking outloud. Either way, it sounds great, and when the rest of the band is happy, then it's a good place to stop, I've been in situations where nobody can agree, or someone wants this louder, or bring this out more, or you cant hear this as well, and the mixing goes on forever.

the guitar sounds really good. sounds like a $1500 amp instead of a $400

guess the whole "good players, hands, etc..." thing goes a long way here. the mix is great by the way. i also love the unconventional use of mics. i am totally digging the guitar sound.

ps - what is the name of the band?

i think you've managed to capture the entire band to tape quite nicely! The guitars are a bit different than what I'm used to hearing, but they're really growing on me. The only thing I don't like is the singer. Just a matter of taste really.

Hey Daunt, thanks again. I picked up a Windsor today at GC for the grand total of $320 :)

It's a little noisy compared to a Recto, but for the price, I'm not expecting perfection. Fucking brutal tone, though.

BTW, I can't tell from the pic. Was your boost switched in?