Metal World Cup

Sweden also doesn't seem to have anything that can compete with Manilla Road or Cirith Ungol.
Yeah when it comes to uspm/trad and especially epic trad USA is miles ahead and for me the biggest argument for voting USA, the quality of other genres makes Sweden the winner for me though.

I mean Sweden has their gems like Heavy Load, Gotham City, Mercy, Quicksand Dream, etc. but it is just nothing compared to the US.

Yeah when it comes to uspm/trad and especially epic trad USA is miles ahead and for me the biggest argument for voting USA, the quality of other genres makes Sweden the winner for me though.

>doom and thrash don't exist

Thrash don't ;) Atleast not as factor for me when I decide.

And I'm not a big fan of the US doom scene, most bands have way too "southern" (for lack of better term) sound, even bands like 'Vitus, Pentagram, etc. often lean that way. There are ofcourse several exceptions, like Solitude Aeturnus.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, American doom metal often shows it's blues influences whereas European doom metal like Candlemass, Solstice, Scald etc do not. I also appreciate that about European doom metal.

For me the main reason I must go with America is due to it's death metal/deathgrind bands. Autopsy/Abscess, Necrophagia, Repulsion, Macabre, Impetigo, Dr Shrinker, Exhumed, Nekro Drunkz, Nunslaughter, Obituary, Nekrofilth, Meatshits, Incantation, Mortician, Blood Freak, Deicide, Possessed, Death, Deceased and so on.

I love doom, epic metal, USPM, trad, etc but I'll always be a deathgrinder at heart.

i think the only way you can vote sweden is if you're very extreme metal-centric, and even then it's close (particularly if you're somewhat ambivalent toward a lot of sunlight studios stuff as i am). if you have comparable love for trad, doom, thrash etc, only the USA makes sense.

Reactions: CiG
I don't think Switzerland would be so low if we used a point system instead. Does any of Italy, Czech Republic or France top Celtic Frost, Samael and Coroner?

I haven't paid attention to this shit, but is it for best country? All around the best country for metal has to be either Germany or Poland but I'd choose Germany any day. The sheer amount of ass kicking bands they have is nuts. I mean Obscura, Sulphur Aeon, and Alkaloid all from the same country? Fuck off. Not right.

I don't think Switzerland would be so low if we used a point system instead. Does any of Italy, Czech Republic or France top Celtic Frost, Samael and Coroner?

Yeah, Switzerland ended up in a tough group and then drew a tough round of 16 match. But that's the nature of a tournament format.

Also, I'd agree with you on Italy and Czech Republic, but contest you on France. Deathspell Omega and the first two Mutiilation records are superior to anything Celtic Frost or Samael produced. Add in less consistent but still at times exceptional acts like Aosoth, Mortifera, Vlad Tepes, Belketre, the rest of LLN, SVEST, Peste Noir, and so on, and the choice is easy.