Metalcore/Hardcore Live DJ Mashup/Remix with Traktor Pro

locustreign

Mar 28, 2006
Orange County, CA

This isn't your typical mix/tone critique, but I figured I could get some helpful feedback by posting here.

I've recently gotten more into DJ controllerism (don't worry, my primary instrument will always be guitar) and while it is significantly easier to work with heavily beat gridded music like modern pop and certain types of metal, some of my favorite hardcore/metalic hardcore/metalcore/whatever bands kept a healthy interpretation of time on their records. Initial attempts at getting this to lineup on a grid were problematic, so I ended up making heavy use of the cue points and triggered the slices in a more drum machine like fashion.

Tracks used:
Converge "Jane Doe" off Jane Doe
Coalesce "Cowards.com" off 0:12 Revolution in Just Listening
Modern Life Is War "D.E.A.D.R.A.M.O.N.E.S." off Witness
Botch "Mondrian Was A Liar" We Are the Romans

I was really intrigued by the fact that sampled screaming loops with additional reverb added come across as having a very black metal aesthetic. I'll have to do more with this in the future.

Anyways, any advice on what worked/what didn't work/stick with instruments you play with a pick and stop trying to turn everything into electro rubbish are greatly appreciated. So far you have everyone and their cousin doing remixes/mashups of pop tunes and it gets boring to hear metal tracks just faded in and out in metal bars so I figure maybe this could be something different.

Last edited by a moderator: