Metalcore (think As I Lay Dying etc)

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
here's a mix I'm working on atm (not my band!)...
although it's kinda generic metalcore I'm still digging it in a way and would like to lift the band to the next level (this is a very young band ('cept the singer, who has lots of experience (Wacken, Touring...), members are like 18-20yrs old and rather talented I think, the band exists for like 2 month now, first recording ever).

please tell me what you're thinking about the mix.
(not really finished yet, needs some automation, leveling, touchups....)

Metalcore

Wow, that sounds really good. Drums are very good.
I think I would bring up the bass guitar. I can hardly hear or feel the bass.
They guitars could be a little bit brighter.
But other than that, very impressive.

Dude nice. You're right tho, they are promising regardless of being semi generic but hey... I thought everything was pretty much good except for the blast beat at the end of the bridge, I despise blasting on crashes but they didn't ask me first so I can't hold it against them. I would definitely appreciate them in my studio. They sound like they may know how to play their instruments which would be a change for me as of lately. Guitars are tasty brother!

Dude nice. You're right tho, they are promising regardless of being semi generic but hey... I thought everything was pretty much good except for the blast beat at the end of the bridge, I despise blasting on crashes but they didn't ask me first so I can't hold it against them. I would definitely appreciate them in my studio. They sound like they may know how to play their instruments which would be a change for me as of lately. Guitars are tasty brother!

thanks,
yeah, one of the few bands that didn't complain about just one guitarist playing all the guits.
the drummer was (although only 18 or so) the tightest I've ever recorded....don't like the blastbeat either though ;)

guitars were my customshop ESP MII with 18v modded EMG 85 in the bridge-->
808 modded TS-9

2 tracks of Recto and 2 tracks of Krankenstein+ (pretty much equally loud)--> Engl 4x12 w/ V30 --> sm57-->API preamp---> RME ADI8.

a bit EQ (notch some fizz etc) and multiband on the guitargroup (as shown in the picture).

overdubs were 5150

ifrit-guits

Kicks ass :headbang:

I'd lower the snare, though - it gets a bit annoying. Also, I'd bring the bass and the kick (with less click) up a bit.

That's definitely better. Just needs some low-mids to be cut it seems. I think it could stand a bit more hi-end and that's all I can point out. Those guitars are thick :kickass: The kick is pretty punchy now. Liking it :kickass:

Lasse, would you mind posting a small sample of a single guitar track ? It sounds really amazing, and Id love to listen how's the dry tone of the guitars, just for the sake of curiosity.

Sounds great, only comments I can make is that the snare is very dark - at times the lowend on it is painful - and seems to be obviously clipping (a little bit of GClip is good but this is too audible to my ears) at the beat at around :14.
Guitars sound great (long chords at the end :O), as do the vocals and the rest of the drums. Bass guitar seems to be just the treble though with the guitars taking care of the lowend - however I think thats the headphones I'm listening on as the same was the case in another mix I was just listening to here.
Also your subdrops (I think thats what they are, like at 1:37) are distorting a little too.

thanks for your help and comments...
updated (close to the final version, quite a bit different from the old one ;) same link)

I even raised the subdrops a bit, hope it's not taking the piss ;)

comments still welcome, I think I'll leave it pretty much like it is now though

Sounds great. Very Sneap-esque IMO. Very clear and powerful. A bit too "clean/polished/modern" for my taste though (i'm not a huge fan of Andy's production anyway).

The singer has a very powerful voice, i like it. Didn't like the song though and thought the very slow suffo-blasts were lame, as well as the blast with the crash at the end. They seem to be very "pro" for their age but the song sounds like nothing special to me. No specific cool part/riff to remember for me.

And about subdrops i'm just wondering when the frenzy is gonna stop.