Metalheads vs. Everyone else

I was really into punk when I was a teen, around 13 til I was 15. Then I got into metal, you mix those 2 and you get thrash, thats what I think anyway. Thrash is like punk/heavy metal.

I love The Ramones, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Nofx, Lagwagon and many more.

Been listening to a lot of punk lately and a lot of my friends are punks, so probably no.

This I believe is a media creation

This so called war between metalhead and punks, when I 1st got into Slayer a few of my friends were punks and they loved Slayer, I think punk is mostly to do with attitude and what have you, Jeff Hannerman was a big fan of punk and yet he's in a band that could be classed as Godfathers of extreme thrash metal, I personally never had any problems with punks but then again it's like all forms of society, you will always get a few bad apples

I will throw this in, Madness is classed as a Ska-punk band and yet they had at the time a diehard skinhead following, their gigs were notorious for violence, hard to believe but it's true, the fans took an intense dislike to the skinheads yet both sets loved the band, it's not an exclusive thing to punks and metalheads

I do recall at the time when Thrash 1st started at being aghast at what the heavy metal scene was like at the time, bland hairspray bands with no talent like Poison, Winger, Cinderella, wondering is this what metal was all about till I came across Slayer and needless to say, my life changed and the best bit is, those thrash metal bands are still going strong today and I remember people saying it was just noise and there was no talent to thrash metal, look at them now, they are still going strong and those hairspray bands are just nogalstic nonsense, I think punks loved it when thrash came along as the new romantics kind of took the outrageous image away from the punks and now they had a way back in.

The biggest laugh to me was this so called punk revival by American bands like Green Day, Blink 182 and others, that wasn't punk, it was just another form of hairspray metal except it was see my tattoo's and piercings bands, again, it was just image based.

Bands can come and go depending on the scene but it's talent that will always last, so when you guys are talking about Megadeath, Metallica, Exodus, you aren't reminiscing about a bygone era, you are talking about bands that still have a major impact on the metal scene and embrace it, you didn't listen to the media saying you must listen to this band, you sought it out, maybe on the advice of a friend but still, we all share the love of music, just like the metalheads and punks shared the love of Slayer

It's a media creation this so called war between punks and metalheads

All the so called fights between different groups of fans is a thing of the past, and was largely down to media encitement/exaggeration. Go see a Motorhead gig, and look at all the different types of fan in attendance - Old School Punks, Skinheads, Metalheads, Goths (the real ones from the 80's - NOT Manson fans!), Bikers - just about any group of fans you could mention.

The only people I have a problem with, are those people who buy "the look" from a catalogue, and care more about their hair, make up and clothes than they do about the music (so that's Emo's, fake goths, KISS fans etc).

This I believe is a media creation

This so called war between metalhead and punks, when I 1st got into Slayer a few of my friends were punks and they loved Slayer, I think punk is mostly to do with attitude and what have you, Jeff Hannerman was a big fan of punk and yet he's in a band that could be classed as Godfathers of extreme thrash metal, I personally never had any problems with punks but then again it's like all forms of society, you will always get a few bad apples

I will throw this in, Madness is classed as a Ska-punk band and yet they had at the time a diehard skinhead following, their gigs were notorious for violence, hard to believe but it's true, the fans took an intense dislike to the skinheads yet both sets loved the band, it's not an exclusive thing to punks and metalheads

I do recall at the time when Thrash 1st started at being aghast at what the heavy metal scene was like at the time, bland hairspray bands with no talent like Poison, Winger, Cinderella, wondering is this what metal was all about till I came across Slayer and needless to say, my life changed and the best bit is, those thrash metal bands are still going strong today and I remember people saying it was just noise and there was no talent to thrash metal, look at them now, they are still going strong and those hairspray bands are just nogalstic nonsense, I think punks loved it when thrash came along as the new romantics kind of took the outrageous image away from the punks and now they had a way back in.

The biggest laugh to me was this so called punk revival by American bands like Green Day, Blink 182 and others, that wasn't punk, it was just another form of hairspray metal except it was see my tattoo's and piercings bands, again, it was just image based.

Bands can come and go depending on the scene but it's talent that will always last, so when you guys are talking about Megadeath, Metallica, Exodus, you aren't reminiscing about a bygone era, you are talking about bands that still have a major impact on the metal scene and embrace it, you didn't listen to the media saying you must listen to this band, you sought it out, maybe on the advice of a friend but still, we all share the love of music, just like the metalheads and punks shared the love of Slayer

It's a media creation this so called war between punks and metalheads

Yeah, but were you in LA in the 80s?

Of course the good bands will live on and the shit ones will fade away. The fact is that all those mainstream bands you mentioned (Blink-182 etc) had their time... All they're good for now is money making reunions. It's bands like Iron Maiden, who are still making albums and touring 35 years later who are the ones with the most respect, and the ones who will be remembered and listened to in another 35 years.

Well in Egypt during the 90's when metal starting becoming a craze among Egyptian youths, religious fanatics started campaigns against it calling it Satanic and even the media followed suit. Luckily this didn't last and now the biggest criticism metal gets in Egypt is that it's "noisy".

Id rather be around a punk than an emo fairy, but I hate them both really. Who needs punk when you have metal, it's so much better than musical idiots banging out 3 chords over and over and over and over and over and over again.