metalheads - what do people think about them?

Around where I live, if you wear black, band shirts with indecipherable logos, and have long hair, you are a goth. It get's quite annoying.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't pigeon-hole me with those faggoth manson lovers.

faggot manson lovers? You are getting mad at people that stereotype you, yet you are stereotyping people as well. I'm not going to go into a whole discussion about what gothic is, except i'd like to inform you that goths are not faggot manson lovers.
My non-metal friends think of me as a goth/stoner/metalhead. unfortunate that they have no idea.

shadedlife said:
faggot manson lovers? You are getting mad at people that stereotype you, yet you are stereotyping people as well. I'm not going to go into a whole discussion about what gothic is, except i'd like to inform you that goths are not faggot manson lovers.
My non-metal friends think of me as a goth/stoner/metalhead. unfortunate that they have no idea.

I'm refering to the manson fans that I am surrounded by at my school, I have met all of them and I know that I am not the same type of person they are..AT ALL. And they call themselves "goths", hence the "Faggoth" statement. This does not mean I'm calling the people who are into REAL goth music and lifestyle "fags", only the trendy mallgoths.

thank goodness. sorry for the misunderstanding. I know what you mean about those people - There actually is only one guy like that in my class. He also bitches about all of his problems, cuts himself only to display the scars and get attention, and proclaims himself as a bulimic (he willfully wrought that disease upon himself). whoops - went off ranting. anyhow, i know how you feel.

shadedlife said:
There actually is only one guy like that in my class. He also bitches about all of his problems, cuts himself only to display the scars and get attention,
those people are the worst. There's like 50 of them at my school. They think cutting themselves shows how cool they are, and how fucked up and depressed their life is that their parents won't give them money to buy the new pair of bondage pants at hot topic.

most of those kids are also the pharmaceutical companies' angels, since they all go to psychiatrists who give out prescriptions to anti-depressants as if they were lollypops.

my best friend is an ex-cutter. He never did go around showing everyone his scars. He kept them hidden away. He knew the truth in his depression. Thanks to his words of advice, i'm never going to cut, no matter how low i fall.

I don't mind metal heads, unless they are the ones that believe that anyhting that isn't true metal sucks.

In New Zealand there are metalheads but not so many as to make the 'culture' seem 'normal'. While metalheads may not be seen walking around a town centre during the day for instance, at night if there was a decent, at least semi-well-known metal band playing, the metallers would be out in force hehe. I'd say it's probably the same as in similar countries (in terms of people who live here). We're despised and feared by some people, not so by others.

I notice that if I am walking around in my local city centre during the day there's a lot of the people who would get lumped in the preppy/trend-following category. Amongst people like that, I stand out. Because I have long black hair, wear black clothing and metal shirts, and boots, I may as well be carrying a big neon sign that says "Look at me!". I don't like being part of a crowd, even if at a gig I am just "part of the crowd" because everyone else is a metalhead and looks the same as me. But that's just my style and I'm sticking by it.

I'm really into metal and I like to represent it. That's why I'll wear a shirt with one of my favourite bands on the front. I find that people always take notice of me like that, whether they give me unfriendly or worried looks hehe.

One day I was walking past a bus stop and two old ladies were sitting there, one of them had a bag of shopping sitting by her feet on the ground. As I got closer, they looked at me. One of them looked at me as if I was the most vile creature on the face of the earth, and shopping-bag-lady looked a bit scared and grabbed her bag to her and held it tight hahahahaha. Just by walking past I incited such emotion in someone, old people or not. Just makes me laugh :lol:. Another time I heard a group of preppy-skatee kinda teenagers, about the same age as me saying stuff like "Fucking bogans" and "Weird freaks" etc as me and some mates walked past.

However...I've also noticed that when I do see other like-minded people it's always cool because there's always a sort of instant connection I guess. Kindred spirits if you will hehe. Always with the \m/ salute in those situations ;).

When I was in Melbourne last week to see Opeth, it seemed that metalheads were in more of a minority and more despised than here in New Zealand. I felt quite a bit of animosity from people. I think quite a few people wanted to hurt me hahaha. Oh well...that's why I wear steel caps after all ;). The long thick chain on my wallet isn't just an accessory or to make sure I don't lose it either...

MoonsOfJupiter said:
:lol: I know the type. They're going through a "phase". Those kids give people a bad name who are really into metal, goth, punk,etc. ; and who aren't part of the counterculture just because it's a fad.
Ha, exactly. Out of nowhere one day, this chic in my class started wearing all black, and made spikes for herself because apparently she is a goth for listening to Linkin Park and...The White Stripes. *smirk*

But with these people you can't help but just sit back and laugh. They're only fooling themselves, well, and also people who are ignorant and don't know any better. Heh, let them have fun with their identity crisis'.

It frustrates me when AFI & Marilyn Manson listeners just start following some of the true metalheads and then start listen to true metal bands just to try and fit in. I know trying to fit in with metalheads seems insane, but they do. They think they'll be more "Original" by being a poser.
I hate when they think they know a band so well and then they say "Isn't that (so and so)?" But it's actually a band that sounds nothing like the band they stated. They just name a band that they heard some of the metalheads talking about and hope they guess right.

I'd also like to say that you don't always have to dress metal to be a metalhead. I have friends that don't dress metal but they are true metalheads. They know their metal & they aren't posers.

I was considered a satanic when used black clothes hehe, now I use gray and dark blue but its almost the same, am a satanic because I listen anathema, katatonia, the gathering, lacuna coil :(
wish to be in norway where dimmu can play in tv and grammy lol :)