Metallica - Death Magnetic ripped!

You all got your answer...

METALLICA's LARS ULRICH Breaks Silence On 'Death Magnetic' Sound Quality Controversy - Sep. 29, 2008
METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich has commented on the fan-generated controversy over the audio quality of the group's new album, "Death Magnetic".

In a brand new interview with Blender.com, Ulrich responded to the complaints by saying, "Listen, there's nothing up with the audio quality. It's 2008, and that's how we make records. Rick Rubin's whole thing is to try and get it to sound lively, to get it to sound loud, to get it to sound exciting, to get it to jump out of the speakers. Of course, I've heard that there are a few people complaining. But I've been listening to it the last couple of days in my car, and it sounds fuckin' smokin'.

"Somebody told me about [people complaining that the Guitar Hero version of 'Death Magnetic' sounds better]. Listen, what are you going to do? A lot of people say [the CD] sounds great, and a few people say it doesn't, and that's OK. You gotta remember, when we put out '...And Justice for All', people were going, 'What happened to these guys, this record? There's no bass on it. It sounds like it was recorded in a fuckin' garage on an eight-track.' And now '...And Justice for All' is sort of the seminal METALLICA record that supposedly influenced a whole generation of death-metal bands. The difference between back then and now is the Internet.

"The Internet gives everybody a voice, and the Internet has a tendency to give the complainers a louder voice. Listen, I can't keep up with this shit. Part of being in METALLICA is that there's always somebody who's got a problem with something that you're doing: 'James Hetfield had something for breakfast that I don't like.' That's part of the ride.

"I will say that the overwhelming response to this new record has exceeded even our expectations as far as how positive it is. So I'm not gonna sit here and get caught up in whether [the sound] 'clips' or it doesn't 'clip.' I don't know what kind of stereos these people listen on. Me and James made a deal that we would hang back a little and not get in the way of whatever Rick's vision was. That's not to put it on him — it's our record, I'll take the hit, but we wanted to roll with Rick's vision of how METALLICA would sound."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=105822

sounds like someone well and truely spat their dummy out :OMG:

jameshetfieldghero4pe5.jpg

oh dear....... the thing that makes me laugh is the fact they've got so big, 10000+ peoples opinion doesnt matter. thats considered "a few"! To most bands that would be absolutely devastating. Why stick your head in the sand over this tho? Why not just admit its fucked and do something about it, even if its in 6 months time with some bonus tracks. In the 80's you were always getting re-pressings on vinyl. I think most people would be more than happy with just the same mix a few db quieter. Really is a shame because its a good album.

oh dear....... the thing that makes me laugh is the fact they've got so big, 10000+ peoples opinion doesnt matter. thats considered "a few"! To most bands that would be absolutely devastating. Why stick your head in the sand over this tho? Why not just admit its fucked and do something about it, even if its in 6 months time with some bonus tracks. In the 80's you were always getting re-pressings on vinyl. I think most people would be more than happy with just the same mix a few db quieter. Really is a shame because its a good album.

Meanwhile there are almost 12700 opinions...but even it will be 20000, it´s still a "few" for them.

A good thing would be a 5.1 mix or something..like Opeth´s "watershed" or some other bands offer. I´d love to listen in this qualiy.

Now..Does someone know, who is the mysterie mixer of this one Metallica song ? This is so far better, than the original cd. On some other metallica message boards they call it "sneap-version" :lol:

Rick Rubin's whole thing is to try and get it to sound lively, to get it to sound loud, to get it to sound exciting, to get it to jump out of the speakers.

To get it to sound loud and jump out of the speakers...? That's what I use the 'volume' knob on a stereo for.

I just listened to Death Magnetic and the Black Album back to back and they were the same volume. Because I turned up the volume knob for the black album.

If stereos were fitted with an 'anti-clipping' knob then Lars would maybe have a point, but unfortunately they are not.

Clipping aside, how does he explain the really annoying harmonic ring on the guitars on "the end of the line" at about 5:33 - 5:40? Can't believe they either missed or intended that!