Metallica - Frantic & What Doesn't Die : the same riff?

nythraxfan

Feb 10, 2002
upstate new york
Visit site
After watching Metallica MTV Icon last night, and the debut of (2 minutes of) "Frantic", I noticed right away that the opening riff sounded like classic Scott Ian to my ears. It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but then I realized that it sounds VERY close to WDD.
What i'm wondering now is, is this a coincidence? Which band wrote and/or recorded which song first? Obviously both have to be within a reasonably close time frame.
I'm GUESSING that nobody ripped off anybody, and that this is just a coincidence.
I found the below posts on the Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater drummer) message board -

MWeston
titleAndStar(20,0,false,false,"")Forum Member
0star.gif

blank.gif

m1.gif
RE: The "OFFICIAL" Metalli... (in reply to Big Suave) !!showPicture("5/6/2003 11:49:11 PM",0)
board_sn.gif
document.write(pgdCode(" Did the very start of Frantic sort of remind you of "What doesn't die" from the new Anthrax album? I liked the Anthrax version better, a bit smoother.

"))Did the very start of Frantic sort of remind you of "What doesn't die" from the new Anthrax album? I liked the Anthrax version better, a bit smoother.

NoImage = NoSigImageNoImage = NoImageRes Date: 5/7/2003 12:49:11 AM
cassiano
titleAndStar(161,0,false,false,"")Forum Member
0star.gif

blank.gif

m1.gif
RE: The "OFFICIAL" Metalli... (in reply to MWeston) !!showPicture("5/6/2003 11:56:56 PM",0)
board_sn.gif
document.write(pgdCode("
ORIGINAL: MWeston
Did the very start of Frantic sort of remind you of "What doesn't die" from the new Anthrax album? I liked the Anthrax version better, a bit smoother.

Well, yeah... The band sounds almost identical to Anthrax after the chorus on WTD. But then again, the riff sounds like One too, don't you think? [:)]

Now, the second riff reminds me a LOT of Sepultura, Beneath The Remains era."))quote:

ORIGINAL: MWeston
Did the very start of Frantic sort of remind you of "What doesn't die" from the new Anthrax album? I liked the Anthrax version better, a bit smoother.

Well, yeah... The band sounds almost identical to Anthrax after the chorus on WTD. But then again, the riff sounds like One too, don't you think?
s1.gif

It reminded me of WDD but the difference is Charlie plays it with his feet and Lars plays it with his hands..........Charlie is the Man.

I liked the song, it sounds promising and Robert Trujillo is awesome to watch perform. The bands that performed were fucking AWFUL........its sad when Limp Bisket does the best job. Korn was terrible, Staind sucks, that guys voice is so fucking annoying, Sum 41 was OK, Avril was just wrong......and Snoop was classic.

I just went to the Metallica board and tried to find these posts about the new track Frantic.

Oh my God. On that board there are so many 'bitches' just slagging at each other and hurling abuse at one another.

If that's what having a shitload of fans can do, then let their board have it. At least everyone on this board is civil.

As Scott would say: 'Drinks to all my friends'.

Cheers.

I saw about three seconds of Limp Bizkit (had to change the channel) and went back after a while to see Metallica come out for their little medley thing. It seemed to me that Hetfield was having a hard time remembering the words to "Battery". "Frantic" didn't do a whole lot for me, maybe full length is better, maybe studio is better, who knows? The whole idea of this show would have appealed to me a lot more if it had happened, say...6 or 8 years ago.

Thrax has ALWAYS been "harder" than Metallica. Just my 2 cents, no need to go on a witch hunt!

timmyc said:
I just went to the Metallica board and tried to find these posts about the new track Frantic.

Oh my God. On that board there are so many 'bitches' just slagging at each other and hurling abuse at one another.

They slag on each other because they're all 12-year-olds.