Metallica just became more awesome tonight

Metallica was a very important band, but they weren't THE only band that really set the standard for the future of metal.
If you want to give them so much credit, do the same for their influences and contemporaries

you guys are so gay you can't see that metallica is the foundation of today's metal. They sent out metal to the masses, you faggots

that was targeted at the haters
yeah they stole most of their good ideas from dave and NWOBHM. they started getting original during mop and coincidentally got boring around there too. still released great music, but far from the earlier consistently good songs.

as for bringing it to the masses, you're like 12, what the fuck do you know about the 80s?
today's modern metal is shit, by the way. it's formulaic and so rigid and has no adventure in its execution.

ajfa&mop>RTL&KEA
plus, you are like 20, what do you know about the 80s?
You faggot, watch live shit, and you will see more people at those shows, than at the most popular contemporary's band shows. Nevermore, fits in the modern metal style, i don't mean numetal or faggotcore, but their sound is modern.
Yes, I give credit to the influences of Metallica too, but Metallica made a much heavier, and thrashier, and original version of NWOBHM, very popular (justice tour).
Metallica are also very influential, appart from faggots like trivium or a7x, sepultura, testament, gojira, and meshuggah, quote metallica as a great influence. Didn't we have this coversation before?

if you listen too some good metal bands these days you can tell megadeth was more influential then metallica...

but hey i dont hate metallica i just think they make crappy music and are a bunch of ...well fill this in yourself, i dont want lars to sue me :p

Maybe you should watch some Mercyful Fate and Venom bootlegs, and compare their crowds to the Metallica crowds. Why do you think Metallica was an opening act for them? Those were the formative years that really had the strongest impact on the developing scene.
The size of the crowd also doesn't take away from how influential a band is or was
Metallica was part of a group of bands that really helped develop the very early 80's metal scene. You can't give them all the credit.
And even though they weren't a thrash band, Motorhead deserves faaar more credit for writing the blueprints for thrash, than Metallica does. Especially on the Overkill album

And demos-RTL>>>>>>>>>MOP and AJFA

Metallica are by far the greatest metal band of all time.

Do you really think the mid-section to Master of Puppets, or the whole seemless, dynamic introduction to One are complete shit?

AJFA > everything. Master of Puppets just a little behind.

For me, if I wish to go beyond Metallica, I must listen to Beethoven.
yes because we all know metallica where such vitruoso's that they could be used in the same sentence as beethoven...

i never claimed to be an expert on the 80's. but i know well enough how big metal was back then, which is exactly why they got stadium shows. judas priest, poison, ozzy, the crue, etc all got the same attention. they became a name by touring a shitload, and mainly with ozzy. but it was all about rock and metal back then, that's why people flocked.

metallica didn't really do anything that wasn't already done. palm muting and power chords? go listen to some of their influences LIVE shows. shit was beyond heavy. same techniques.

Meh, Metallica is alright. I never caught on to the fad, I was always more into Maiden though I will say I liked Ride the Lightening.

One works by totally separating the soft and heavy parts while making a story.
MOP? NO. they made a rocking thrashy metal song and totally fucking blew it by throwing in some random, retarded acoustic passage thing in the middle. stupid move. same thing with battery, fight fire, damage inc.
dipshit intros. DO NOT WANT.

There was nothing random about that mid-section -- it created a melodic and tragic contrast to the two outer portions of the song -- such a three-part structure is not unusual, at least in classical -- and they transitioned into this section with the utmost fluidity; instead of many bands nowadays, like Iced Earth, who abruptly shift into some lame acoustic passage which has almost nothing, harmonically, to do with the previous material; the mid-section to Master of Puppets retains all the main instruments (except vocals), and rearranges them for expressive and dynamic contrast. There are still distorted guitars, bass, and drums, just all very carefully arranged. Most bands will suddenly drop everything and rely on a sole acoustic guitar, which Metallica didn't even use in this case. Even so -- even though the sonorities of this section are very different -- it still retains a musical unity with the outer sections, through its continued use of E harmonic minor, and through its retained chord progression, played distorted and palm-muted over some heavy E power chords later.

I love Metallica solely for the high quality of the music they wrote, not their influence. Nothing, before or since, has been as harmonically, melodically, and structurally fluid or ambitious. Other bands have much more technical musicians, but the music is never as clearly composed, in which every bit of material has a clear connection to the rest -- nothing arbitrary. They wrote the most complete melodies -- melodies which explore the many tensions of the scale, which pay attention to the dominant-tonic relationships, and even play with them. That mid-section you condemn has a clean guitar passage more carefully worked through, more chordally ambitious than anything else in the genre. James created a seemless fusion of 5 arpeggiated chords, all which move carefully up to the dominant, then effortlessly right back to the tonic -- at which point, the twin guitar harmony begins, on the anticipated tonic, perfectly introduced. Most bands now might arpeggiate one or two chords, and usually these have absolutely nothing to do with the harmonic implications of the material before or after -- just chucked in there for cheap effect -- without any attention paid to the various tensions of the scale and key. Such a band is Trivium. There are exceptions, but none of them place these progressions so carefully and tastefully in the middle of an even more elaborate structure.

I haven't heard any other band with the same meticulousness of detail, the same structural approach.

As for influence, I would say Slayer are the greatest influence on underground metal, whereas Metallica most influenced the more popular strains of metal/hardrock (System of a Down, creed, Trivium, Shadows Fall). And if you refuse them this, they at least made certain techniques very popular, which they had adopted and brought to highest perfection.

i honestly don't know and am just saying this out of my ass but i seriously doubt that james and the other guys in the band used music theory and planned on creating an extremely complex masterpiece. they just don't seem like thats what they'd be thinking when they wrote it.