Metallica Sound (1983-2008). Audio Samples!!!

Thanks for the interesting clips!
My favourites are:

Guitars: Ride The Lightning
Bass: ...And Justice For All
Drums: Garage Inc.
Vocals: Garage Inc.

James tracks his vocals in the control room, hand held SM7. He doesn't like headphones.

In the "öne and a half year-videos" from the Black erea you can see James recording vocals in front of monitors (outta fase). Mike on stand.

To me the '83-'86 years were the golden age, so much albums with loads of character. (Melissa, Ride The Lightning, Hell Awaits, Seven Churches, Spreading the Disease, Bonded By Blood, ect...)

What´s that for a weird delay on this MOP snare??? But it works in the mix??? JESUS, FUCK ME!!!

Hahaha Jason Newsted played his ass off for Dyers Eve...and what´s the result in the final product? :lol:

The drums of "KING NOTHING" is purely AWESOME!!! Also "Wherever I may roam" is an unbelievable great step in comparison with the 80´s records.

The drums of "My Apocalypse" are not that bad! Looks like there was done good work for the RECORDING process!! Unfortunately we all know, it was been destroyed in the mix/mastering process.

Yeah man i really have thought that since i first heard the album. I think drums were tuned great, micd well and in a great room. They are just unbelievably boring and dry and then completely clipped to hell.
I also think the guitars and bass are great recordings as well and that they would do great in a proper mix where rubin wasnt allowed to steer the direction in that dry, clipped direction.

The vocals are incredibly underproduced and there is demos circuilating with harmonies and doubles that have potential to be way cooler.

Theres quite a lot of sample in on some of these later drums actually (garage days stuff), not that that's a bad thing, I'm all for it if it sounds good.
I've done quite a few of these mixes for Rockband and Gtr Hero now and you have to provide them with stereo stems of kick, Snare, Rest of kit, Bass, each gtr part separately, main vox, BV and keys if any. They then compile it so it may not be the exact album mix you are hearing, especially on the old stuff but very cool to hear.

This is awesome!

Am I right in thinking James used to double a lot more of his vocals on the older stuff?

Killer guitar tone on the Justice album too...

I'd love to get my hands on these rips for a proper listen! :heh:

Excellent post!

Jason's bass tone on Dyers Eve is awesome. Too bad he was cut out of the mix... thx Lars!!!

Also wanted to point out that it's really interesting to hear how James' vocals have changed over the years.

Thanks for these. That's really interesting stuff.

The guitars and drums on King Nothing sound huge. The verb on MoP's vocals is awesome. I hadn't realised so many albums had distorted bass guitar.

The delay on the snare really is weird in MoP, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the way things were compiled.