Metallica Sound (1983-2008). Audio Samples!!!

Theres quite a lot of sample in on some of these later drums actually (garage days stuff), not that that's a bad thing, I'm all for it if it sounds good.
I've done quite a few of these mixes for Rockband and Gtr Hero now and you have to provide them with stereo stems of kick, Snare, Rest of kit, Bass, each gtr part separately, main vox, BV and keys if any. They then compile it so it may not be the exact album mix you are hearing, especially on the old stuff but very cool to hear.
Yep. The engineer I've been interning with has been doing Guitar Hero tracks for Victory and it seems they want a lot of extra room to be able to tinker with the panning, ambiance, etc. But they want the timbre of the various stems to be as close as possible to the original, so theres really not much creative control. I suppose people are used to hearing songs sound a certain way.

Theres quite a lot of sample in on some of these later drums actually (garage days stuff), not that that's a bad thing, I'm all for it if it sounds good.
I've done quite a few of these mixes for Rockband and Gtr Hero now and you have to provide them with stereo stems of kick, Snare, Rest of kit, Bass, each gtr part separately, main vox, BV and keys if any. They then compile it so it may not be the exact album mix you are hearing, especially on the old stuff but very cool to hear.

that can be quite emberassing for some bands I think...
thinking of the ones where the original kick is just ignored/deleted and a sample pasted in whereever a kick should be....
I mean you won't hear it in a full mix, but if you listen just to the overhead tracks later....
should download some GH metal mixes and look out for that ;)

that can be quite emberassing for some bands I think...
thinking of the ones where the original kick is just ignored/deleted and a sample pasted in whereever a kick should be....
I mean you won't hear it in a full mix, but if you listen just to the overhead tracks later....
should download some GH metal mixes and look out for that ;)

i actually done a shitload of that with kicks on my
bands last demo but it was well mixed (Machinated as he is known on here)
and like u said yeah you cant notice it on a full mix pritty interesting
to see a band like Metallica do it though.

I was like a kid in the candy store last night, playing with this for over an hour. Am I the only one who threw some delay on Hetfield's vox on the new track?

BTW we are all meats for saying there is no bass on AJFA...bass was a HUGE part of that album's sound!!!!

BTW we are all meats for saying there is no bass on AJFA...bass was a HUGE part of that album's sound!!!!

What supports this presumption? Can you tell more about your recognizing? This theme is interesting, because a musical tragedy is linked with that. For Newsted "it was a humiliation!" Like he said in some interviews.

Okay to all you guys...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Was Jason Newsted completely been muted on "...And Justice for all"? Or do you think his Bass sound was even important for the overall sound on this record? I´m not sure...

Well playing with the seperate tracks of that Dyers Eve clip, the bass merges so well with the guitars. So I'd say his bass wasn't muted, but simply mixed where the tone doesn't stand out in the mix.

Never has Hetfield sounded more powerful than on The Unforgiven. Especially now when hearing the vocals only. Fucking extraordinary!

Is anyone willing to throw some of these old classics in a remix?

To me the '83-'86 years were the golden age, so much albums with loads of character. (Melissa, Ride The Lightning, Hell Awaits, Seven Churches, Spreading the Disease, Bonded By Blood, ect...)

Agreed! Many of those albums don't sound technically perfect but are very distinctive and after two powerchords or drum beats you'd recognize the album by the sound itself! I find those traits to be mostly missing in today's recordings, I really miss those days.... :erk:

Well playing with the seperate tracks of that Dyers Eve clip, the bass merges so well with the guitars. So I'd say his bass wasn't muted, but simply mixed where the tone doesn't stand out in the mix.

I agree, it makes sense. Too bad his parts were merely following the rhythm guitars...
Now after listening to bass and guitars separately I can finally tell it apart in the whole mix by listening to the subtle nuances it brings to the mix, very interesting... And sheds a whole new light to that record and no-bass infamy :)

I'm starting a collaboration of all the AJFA songs that come out on multitrack, then I just get the original song mp3 and just add the bass track to it! I'm just waiting for a few more songs to come out in a new version of rockband/gh.

I'm starting a collaboration of all the AJFA songs that come out on multitrack, then I just get the original song mp3 and just add the bass track to it! I'm just waiting for a few more songs to come out in a new version of rockband/gh.

I'm pretty sure this has been done before...I've seen it floating around the net for quite some time.