Metallica - St Anger

Blue_Jay said:
My favorite album from the new Metallica. This album is just plain flat out outstanding.

I hope its sarcasm. If not, don’t leave an ignoramus like Myself in the dark Bluejay-tell us why the new metallica have outdone themselves with this 8th studio album. I'm so far past this band now.. have they even released anything since? I wont be buying or downloading it.

I've always held the view that St Anger, whilst being a terrible album, particually by 80s metallica standards, was killed by the production. There are moments in some songs which are fantastic, they are just over crowded with needlessly long and ranting bullshit, hence rendering the good parts, wich are few and far between, utterly pointless. St anger and sweet amber are good songs, also SKOM has its moments. Thats aboot it though

Fair enough point. I've read remarks praising hetfields personal insite / expression with the lyrics on this album; dont see it myself (or hear it). Yep, the quality is really bad but it's supposedly some whole " lets go back to our roots " vibe thing.

Another thing. St anger is a very forced album, they forced it to be a certain way rather than letting just naturally evolve, everything from the production to the song length/themes were forced so that they would appear a certain way. While Load/Reload are utter shit, I have more respect for those albums than for st anger becuase they did what they wanted and didn't give a fuck about who thought what.

CCR said:
Next time guys - try doing a few White Stripes & Hoobastank combo’s but beware the k-hole…. hmmm?

Hey, dont demean the White Stripes by comparing St. Anger with them. Only Nicklebacl, Celine Dion and Paris Hilton deserve such criticism.

speed said:
Hey, dont demean the White Stripes by comparing St. Anger with them. Only Nicklebacl, Celine Dion and Paris Hilton deserve such criticism.

lol agreed.:lol:

I never understood the hate for St. Anger. To me it's Metallica going heavier. There is no boring parts for me (except Dirty Window which was the only song I hated for being boring) and the drums to me are pretty cool. I thought the guitar style was pretty different compared to other stuff I've listened to. Althought there is one thing I do not like about the album. The vocalist sometimes changes his vocal style into some sorta immature ranting. I didn't like it that much. My favorites off the album would be St. Anger 2nd Invisable Kid and 3rd Sweet Amber. Highly underrated.

^ You may be the only human being I've ever heard outside Metallica themsleves who feels this way. In all the years I've listened to Metal I can think of few examples of a more universally depsired(and rightly so) record than this. For my own part, it isn't just bad...it's simply unlistenable. To each his own I guess...