Metallica - The Day That Never Comes - Video Premier

I disagree, Wasn't it just Hetfield that wrote blackened???

Once Kirk started getting recording duties and input, and Lars started getting even more input the band went downhill...

Stop being pedantic (and entirely incorrect) :)

I'm pretty sure it was actually Hetfield, Ulrich and Newsted from memory... as far as I can recall Motorbreath was the only song that was credited with JUST Hetfield. And considering Hetfield/Ulrich wrote most of load and reload I'd say that THEY ARE THE SAME BAND.

And yes I agree with you, Metallica were better when Kirk wasn't allowed to play rhythm on record. But regardless of that fact, ...And Justice For All wasn't released as a hetfield solo record, so therefore I'm gonna stand by the fact that (bass players aside) Justice and St Anger were written by the same band, regardless of quality or who played what.

EDIT: If we're going to be super pedantic about it, hammett actually had 4 out of 9 songwriting credits on AJFA, and 6 out of 13 on Reload which works out as almost exactly the same percentage.

Stop being pedantic (and entirely incorrect) :)

I'm pretty sure it was actually Hetfield, Ulrich and Newsted from memory... as far as I can recall Motorbreath was the only song that was credited with JUST Hetfield. And considering Hetfield/Ulrich wrote most of load and reload I'd say that THEY ARE THE SAME BAND.

And yes I agree with you, Metallica were better when Kirk wasn't allowed to play rhythm on record. But regardless of that fact, ...And Justice For All wasn't released as a hetfield solo record, so therefore I'm gonna stand by the fact that (bass players aside) Justice and St Anger were written by the same band, regardless of quality or who played what.

And I'll stand by my statement :)
I'm just going by what I've read Hetfield say in interviews and whatever of him being the "alpha dog" in the band.

And I don't think it can even be argued that Kirk isn't the worst rhythm player ever.

wow that kit sounds like complete garbage.... not a huge disappointment after they're last release. But still, that drum sound is horrible and just gave me a headache.

Jesus.... Thomas Vinterberg has gone from making Festen to doing Metallica videos....fucking hell. I think I'll shoot myself now before Lars Von Trier starts making them for Motley Crue (actually....now I think of that, I would like to see that)

The budget for that Metallica video was probably a hundred times what (the brilliant) Festen was made for.

Fuck Lars....that muppet was on the BBC's "Culture" Show last week. UberTossbag.

Jesus.... Thomas Vinterberg has gone from making Festen to doing Metallica videos....fucking hell. I think I'll shoot myself now before Lars Von Trier starts making them for Motley Crue (actually....now I think of that, I would like to see that)

The budget for that Metallica video was probably a hundred times what (the brilliant) Festen was made for.

Fuck Lars....that muppet was on the BBC's "Culture" Show last week. UberTossbag.

I agree on how poor is the song/video compared to the Festen movie (and most of the Dogme 96 stuff). Though directing a Metallica video is a huge opportunity and i don't see why Vinterberg should have refused this.

As a film maker myself, this is my deduction of the video.

1. It is physically possible to make a music video of that size and caliber relatively cheaply. You can rent the equipment (camera, film/data, light, sound and jigs), the man power, and the talent (cough hack spit barf) actually is PAYING you to make the video. I am assuming all the military equipment and vehicles were used by permission by a local Reserve or Guard unit. However knowing the band and the director, they probably chose every expensive route to go and stressed over the minutest of details to no avail.

2. Too much slow motion. Under cranking the crap out of a video literally slows it down (duh) to the point where it's boring. The technique of slowing film down is prolong any emotion represented on the screen and to stretch reality just a bit. You make an entire video in slow motion and the result is people die, buildings collapse and may I quote, "up is bacon and TS808's are not tubescreamers." The world comes to a crashing end because you failed basic videography.

3. LACK OF PLOT. Do I need to elaborate? I think no.

4. Although commonly forgivable because is this is a 'music video', I personally HATE it when people misrepresent military action and protocol. There's no way a comrades in arms (that's smaller than a squad) and 1 driver would be going through enemy controlled areas unprotected and without any screening or convoy. Especially in an un-armored vehicle that could magically withstand an RPG hit. How'd the guy get hit beneath his flak jacket? Yes shrapnel can piece the armor, but wouldn't that also dictate if shrapnel can pierce infantry armor it can also blow the crap out of an un-armored light transport? Further still, if such a hit was sustained, there would have been a medic on hand dealing with the situation and had either patched the guy up till they hit friendly territory or their HQ or he would have died within 2 minutes from unstoppable bleeding and internal damage. But no, Metallica has a political statement to make, so let's change reality to conform to their ideas. Point in case? Green Day's 'When September Ends' is more accurate than this video. Can you say 'pwned'?

The funny thing is the Metalli-speak in their newsletters where they ask us to go and check out "the awesome vision" of the director. So much for spioraid's point #3 :D

I mean, I even fast forwarded to the end because I got so bored after 1:30 minutes ...