Metal's Most Brilliant Band

If we're talking about brilliance in terms of innovation and originality, etcetera, then these are the bands:

Neurosis: They progress, they're completely original, great musicians, etc, etc. Nuff' said.

Isis: same as Neurosis, but not as good IMO...but to be as good as Neurosis is impossible ;)

Arcturus: Very original and innovative, eh?

Enslaved: The past two albums from these Norwegians, "Mardraum: Beyond The Within" and "Monumension", have been absolutely phenominal, covering all the areas of 'brilliance'.

There are others. Many of the bands other people said are very good, (ie. Katatonia, who are actually amazing), but I don't know if they could be called brilliant.

Also, just because you're original and innovation doesn't make you brilliant.

Just my $0.02.

I think Opeth is. I mean hell, there's not even a genre for them. They come up with some of the most ingenius pieces of music.

I was kinda pissed that I saw it on there though. I honestly doubt Mikael or any of them would have agreed to have stuck that thing on, the label probably forced them to do it. That's pretty damned cocky to put something like that on your album.

Originally posted by Silent Downfall 2
isnt maudlin of the wall an opeth clone? i may check them out one day if im bored.
Opeth and motW are completely different. Its like saying In Flames are an Opeth clone. Only those that listen to both bands on a very shallow level would ever call them similar.

Im pretty sure you would like Opeth better though. motW are weird and jazzy, and i get the impression that you arent so into that kinda thing.

as far as brilliant metal bands go, my votes on ISIS, Opeth, Emperor, and Katatonia. I would also include Ulver, for their embracement of so many different genres and consistently brilliant output, Virgin Black, and maybe even Tool.

But i think there should be more in the question... there's so many brilliant artists in metal... Devin Townsend and Dan 'im in the credits' Swano... Peter Tagtren for sure, Darkthrone for capturing fearful, cold hatred in a soundscape so accurately.

Others that deserve mention would be Roger Waters (as a musician and songwriter, not specifically for his solo career), Radiohead for their immense creativity and successful experimentation, and Jeff Buckley (r.i.p.)

The first record to come into my mind is Evergrey's In Search Of Truth. I have to judge the band based on a single record, though...