mic position help..please answer andy#!@#@!

RealisticMicLover 666

New Metal Member
Oct 3, 2006
i am working on recording my mates drums at the moment, and for some reason i just can't get the snare to sound up front and pop.
i am using a realistic mic (of course)
and i placed it in between the kick drums underneath the snare angled at the floor.

any tips on how to improve my mic technique?

Thats exactly like Andy does it. I wonder why it's not working for you?

My friend told me about an article that his cousin's mother's neighbors dog had that was written by this guy Sandy Neep. It said that Andy doesn't even use stick when he's getting drum samples. I guess he hits the drum with his massive quads. Maybe you could try that.

daveotero said:
I guess he hits the drum with his massive quads.

For some reason I read that as "I guess he hits the drum with his massive cock."!!!!!

Someone pass me the brain bleach PLEASE!!!! :lol:

Muttley

RealisticMicLover 666 said:
i am working on recording my mates drums at the moment, and for some reason i just can't get the snare to sound up front and pop.
i am using a realistic mic (of course)
and i placed it in between the kick drums underneath the snare angled at the floor.

any tips on how to improve my mic technique?

Whats up Mr. Hunter dont think your safe from the onslought of tech questions, for example what mic and pre-amp do you prefer, how many layered track do you put down?
And not everyone in here are gear geeks some of us have even be so cool to have smoked with some of your bandmates......a few times lol:Smokin:

radio_shack.gif

Actually this is a good question Realistic...is the choice of preamp a huge factor here? Can I get that pop out of my 001?

I'm having a difficult time getting good pop unless i process the hell out of it, ie uber-compression + lots of high frequency boost. Not the ideal way to do it, but it works for demo stuff.

who needs pop? with andys method you get excellent poop through the mike.
if you're using a realistic one that is ...

Andy Sneap said:
ah yes you forgot to stick it up your ass for 30 min before tracking. Try that!

thanks for the tip mate! i tried it, and it worked out fucking great!
my snare sounds like a homeless dude getting slapped in the face.
and my mic smells like a homless dude as well!

top notch advice from a top bloke

On a serious note, I'll be the first one to vote for you guys to have a music video from the new album showing the recording process at Backstage w/Andy. Yeah, it's been done before but it's Backstage w/Andy! Come on, get some video shot in there! :headbang: :kickass:

Radd said:
On a serious note, I'll be the first one to vote for you guys to have a music video from the new album showing the recording process at Backstage w/Andy. Yeah, it's been done before but it's Backstage w/Andy! Come on, get some video shot in there! :headbang: :kickass:
They're not recording at Backstage :heh: