Michael Freakin Angelo

XeroX.

Death-Prog-HeadBanger
Mar 31, 2004
Guadalajara, Mexico
all right can some one help me figure out what he does on... maybe all his live and instructional videos? he plays songs but he improvises some parts doing a wierd fast thing, he moves his left hand like crazy and its sounds like open strings but with something else i dont know.. you can see this on the speed kills and speed lives instructional videos
does someone know what he does? :OMG: it looks quite impressive

yeet_SAY_jama said:
yeah im wondering too. its fuckin amazing.

angelo has a very clean right hand picking and he is extremely fast but what he plays is pretty basic imo. ı mean the positions and stuff.
he does 3 weird things playing reversed is basicly playing the same stuff overthe fretboard like a piano.
going over and under the neck like crazy:he kinda pull offs and hammer ons the open strings with incredible dexterity.

and he is ambidex.

generally ı dont like his music

Angelo's cool for a little while, but then you realize his music gets repetitive, and the stuff he does is usually very geometric and straight-rhythm runs. And during the over/under the neck thing, his left hand doesn't really hit a whole lot! That bothers me, because that's potentially a sweet technique.

What really impressed me was the 4-neck guitar thing... being ambidextrous (sp?) must be nice! That's completely crazy when he plays two necks at once.

Overall I'm more amazed by guys who can shred and make it melodic at the same time - Yngwie, Vai, Romeo, Petrucci (maybe 4 albums ago), etc..

In the Instructional Videos he explain that "thing" and, you know, explain that the 4 necks guitar (what was stolen) and the "over under the neck" it is just to show off at the stage, and it works in his case.

I dunno why everyone gloryfies this "ambidextrousity" thing. every fucking pianoplayer can do the same thing and with a bit of practice every half decen guitarplayer will be able to play an one of his two-necked guitars. i mean look at all those touchstyle-players (chapmansticks, warr-guitars, megatars, etc) - everyone of those whipes away angelo ambidextrousity-wise. plus what they make is actually music.

Angelo is a amazing player and from what I have heard, a great instructor-speed kills is supposed to be one of the best instuctional videos around.

Musically, I am no impressed. He can play, but does he say anything?

Michael Angelo is a piss-poor guitarist who relies on speed to convey his message and neglects other important aspects of guitar skill, such as the ability to feel the music that one is playing.

yea he aint that good at songwriting... and playin is all about speed.... and ambidextrousity(sp?) isnt that hard, but the thing that makes me bow in awe is the over/under thingy.... it doesnt sound that cool but looks awesome and impresses people who dont play guitar.... and i want to do it but i just cant :(

God now I think of it, I think there is video of me doing this over / under technique at a high school talent show years ago. I remember I changed one of my solos just so I could do it. Not as fast as the master, but people thought it was so cool. :cool:

I remember I first saw it in Shock em' Dead. Shread heads must get this movie!!!

It's always the same: :yuk:

dude: "Hey, look at this guy! He's really fast!"
guitarist: "Nah, I can do that", "He isn't that good", "He has no feeling" etc.

If your impressed of Michael Angleo, then look at him and learn from him. Personally I would like to see if he can play that fast on an acoustic.. ;)

Just for all the guys who said it isn't that hard to play with both hands. Well I saw him 2 times live at the Music Fair in Frankfurt and he doesn't just do legato playing on his 2 Neckguitar. He also plays "normal" with the other neck, e.g. picking, sweeping. And also that piano thing. I mean he can play normal on both necks and that pretty fast. So tell me, WHO can do it. And he was so cool and nice while he was presenting the stuff: Always joking and saying that he just practiced all his freaking stuff too be different, not too show of and mainly for the gitls ;)

You guys wanna here someone whos cleaner and probably faster than George with immense melody and structure....George bellas

I normally dont make comments like this comparing guitarists but i thought i would use this as an opportunity to put George's name out there....not to take anything away form Angelo of course...i love some of his stuff and he great at what he does