Micing help needed.

wretchedspawn

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2007
I was told before that when micing a cab you should make it sound good where the mic is, not in the room. My problem is that when I try to dial the amp in to sound good at the mic I can't even get a sound I would be happy with for showing another band member an idea. I spent just under 5 hours this morning trying to get at least an almost decent sound and failed. I've recorded many of my ideas using a DI track with modelers and impulses but I just can't seem to get the hang of micing the cabinet.

I have spent so much time trying different spots on the speaker. It always either sounds really bright or really muddy. There is a spot just past the edge of the dustcap where it is a nice balance between the two but it sounds really lifeless at that spot. Maybe I'm missing something really simple. I would really love to be able to get a decent sound with a mic instead of always using programs to do it for me. It would be awesome if someone could shove me in the right direction or give me a few pointers.

IMO if you throw a mic anywhere near the dustcap you should be able to beat any modeler. You should have no problem dialing in a better tone with your amp's knobs.

Not sure if you're a newbie but keep in mind the key part of your distortion is coming from the speaker's movements, not the gain knob.

Most of the time I find that guitars sound like shit by themselves. Guitars are weakass instruments, but when you throw in some kickin' drums and a fuckin' badass bass groove, it can bring definition and reason to THE RIFF.

The amp I was having trouble with yesterday was a Line 6 Spider II Combo(My practice amp)with an SM57. Despite how bad that amp is I should have been able to get better sounds than I did. I've also had the same problems with a Double Rectifier through a Mesa 4x12 and a JSX through a Peavey 4x12.(Not sure what kind.) My friend also has a Vader 4x12 that I could use as he leaves it at my house.

Even with all the other instruments the guitars still don't sound right. They seem a tad bit distant on top of the mud/brightness.

And yes I am a newbie too recording. I know to use less gain than usual when recording, but something I haven't done is record with speaker movement. The only time I ever play that loud is when I'm jamming with friends or band practice. But I will give it a shot. Maybe that is what I was missing.

I dont think you really have a chance of getting a good mic'ed sound from a spider.
The best sounds come from Tube Amps, and the spider is a solid state modeller. Dont waste time on trying to mic the spider, when you could DI such an amp.

The room I'm in is about 18'x20' with a carpeted floor. There isn't a whole lot in it other than drums and amps. Not the greatest acoustically but I've heard worse. Is there anything I should look out for regarding the room?

man to be honest ive tried an i was never able to get a good sound outa a spider you just get this weird fuzz shit that if you cant get rid of. check out the shit that sliperman wrote on his site http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html that really helped me also try watching this http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/ as well you might wanna check out the thread on getting the clayman guitar tone. i found that using the dual mic technique really helped with the spider amps. hope this helps.

garry666, that video is killer! thanks for sharing it!

credit goes to Black Neon Bob or that one im just reposting some of the stuff that helped me dude, but id also add that just cuz it works for him doesnt mean itll work for you just experiment with shit

i know you guitar heads are gonna kill me for saying this...but i have to disagree on not being able to get a good sound outa spider cab......if you get the sound you want in that cab, and then proper mic'ing and eqing you can get a decent track from it.

i know you guitar heads are gonna kill me for saying this...but i have to disagree on not being able to get a good sound outa spider cab......if you get the sound you want in that cab, and then proper mic'ing and eqing you can get a decent track from it.

usable maybe but compared to something from a 5150 :puke:

This video rocks! Are there any other videos such as this out there?:worship:

i dont know of any others on the web but theres a series of dvds called 'Shaping Your Sound' and they are prety good as long as you dont mind the dudes shirts.