Midi Export in Fruity Loops

taylor666

Oct 8, 2006
I can't figure out how to export my files in fruity loops as midi :mad: . The file get's created but no sound plays. Anyone familiar with FL have any advice? Also, what is the most simple program to program decent midi drum tracks in because I'm getting tired of FL haha.

wait...
maybe theres some confusion here as to what midi is
"I can't figure out how to export my files in fruity loops as midi . The file get's created but no sound plays."

midi makes no sound, its a series of events, note on, note off, note velocity and a few others
maybe I am misreading what you are asking, but I have seen before when people using midi didnt understand that its just a controller for a sound source, this was particularly common before vsti's and everyone started getting into computer sequencing, they would use an external module for something, sending midi from the computer, then mix down from the sequencer and wonder where their midi modules sounds went.

If you have ever seen a pianola, the piano you stick the card rolls in with the holes cut out, thats what midi is, hence the piano roll view in your sequencer

of course if you understood all that and I am barking up the wrong tree, ignore me!

Well, there is an issue specific to FL where if you do not do the step I described above, any MIDI files you export will be empty. So I figured perhaps that was the cause of the problem he was having in this case.

Yeah the problem I am having is the midi file was empty and even after preparing it for midi export it is still coming out empty. I also realized if I open up a midi file it won't play but I have all the outputs setup correctly so for now I've just been using Guitar Pro for making midi tracks. It would be great to figure out how to make it work in FL because I do have a ton of saved FL projects that I would like to export as midi but I've been having good luck in GP.

I know what you mean, it didn't work well for me either exporting from FL.
I suspect there are very few situations where it would actually work properly, the program is pretty complex in terms of everything going on.. I'll take Samplitude any day over FL if I can help it..

I use FL Studio, so here's how my MIDI exportation works. First, make sure:

(1) You aren't trying to export MIDI into MP3
(2) You aren't trying to export non-midi sounds into a midi file...

Step one: Click Options, and put a check mark next to "Enabled MIDI Output"... That is all you need to have checked in this area.

Step two: Open Options > Midi Settings. Set Midi Mapper to Port 0, and make sure the other ones are not set to a port as well. If you have more than one set to the same port, it will probably say it is "in use" and will turn it off...

That's it. It should work after that. Put in your MIDI notes using Channels > MIDI Out, select your midi instrument, and write them in there. If you're copying notes from a real sound into this MIDI Out channel, just right click on the channel, copy everything, paste it into the MIDI Out channel, and then delete the real sound channel.... The settings are all flat when you start with a MIDI Out channel, so it is nearly impossible for the channel volume to be turned all the way down in the piano roll. Just turn up the volume with the little round knob if you need to. Make sure your MIDI volume is turned up in your volume settings too, for your computer. You can find that.. Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices... I have it selected to "Show volume icon in the taskbar".. then open it, turn everything up...

Hope this helps. :)