Midweek Mayhem - Your input requested

Thanks Yippee38 for nailing it down for a lot of us. Most important reason for not coming in Wednesday this year was cost.
Cost: It wasn't too expensive. It's just that with our financial situation, we had to choose to cut back in places, and we chose to skip that ...
Just had to cut corners this year. Hopefully, next year will see an improved economy and my business prospects. Really hated missing Wednesday.

Line-up: Having never been a fan of Manowar (or that type of power metal in general), I had no interest in seeing Ross the Boss. (Just not my thing.) I was somewhat interested in the other two bands, but not hugely so.
There just wasn't enough of a personal draw for me to spend the extra money on hotel, food, beverages etc. If it had been someone I really wanted to see, I'd have considered it, but it would have to be special. This didn't do it for me.

Fatigue Factor: The main fest was 13 bands, plus 4 on Thursday. Friday ended up being about 12.5 hours of standing. Saturday was a bit less. I knew that would be a problem because it was last year.
This was a huge factor as well, and the longer lineup on Friday definitely played into it.

Second most important reason:

Social: We spent Wednesday night catching up with a ton of friends. We used to do that during the karaoke night, which used to be on Weds.. Since that's gone away, there isn't an opportunity for a casual social gathering, so we made our own. BTW, the first time there was a formal Wed. night show (or maybe it was when the Thurs. night show was up in The Loft) there was a special room for the Gold Badge holders. It was a bit quieter, but had audio and monitors. That was a good time to catch up too. Now, we've got neither. It's just not practical - or polite to the bands - to socialize during the show.

It looks like we're gathering quite a consensus. Wednesday night was always special for the social factor. Another night of bands makes that difficult. I would really prefer to have a more casual gathering planned to facilitate our need to connect with friends we usually only see once a year.

Four nights does get a little exhausting. I like the idea of last year when some of Pagans Mind an Circus Maximus members were going to play a set. Even though it did not play out that way last year, Something along those lines I think would be an amazing idea and generate tremendous interest.

I agree in parts with people mentioning the social aspect of Wednesday. However, in all fairness, I find that there's plenty of time throughout the whole weekend to socialize with people other than Wednesday. I don't think there's anyone who will actually watch every single set by every single band on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You can hang out with people at the hotels before the shows, at the vinyl/lobby in between sets or during the sets you don't want to watch, the after parties... If everyone starts saying that Wednesday should be left for socializing, then chances are Nathan will just give up on putting the show on. That would be a damn shame, since he worked his ass off to put MidWeek Mayhem together.

I say go on with the show. If the lineup is worth it, people will show up. If you guys really need to socialize on Wednesday night, then well, come on Wednesday and hang out with your buddies at the hotel (Artmore courtyard, anyone?). Don't tell me that there shouldn't be a show though. That's just not fair to the people who put it together.

First of all, thanks for putting this together. I'm sure it has to be difficult and exhausting for you. But that being said my wife (mandaX) and I were in the "Did NOT attend" category. Here are the reasons:

Money: It seems ProgPower is getting more and more expensive every year. There are now 4 nights of shows with 3 different tickets (5 shows with 4 tickets if you add the special Saturday show). When you're going with your significant other, the cost is doubled. Combine that with food, gas for your car/plane ticket, alcohol, merch and that's a lot of dough to be spending. We have to pick and choose where we can spend money and the Wednesday night show is one of the places we chose to save. The lineup wasn't a problem, Amanda loves Manowar, but we had to budget and this was the first thing to go.

Social: As mentioned earlier, ProgPower has become a social event first and a concert event second. We've made many friends during our trips here. People who have become wonderful friends who we unfortunately only get to see once a year. We need time to catch up with them, find out what's going on, how they've been doing and all that. With show after show after show, that becomes difficult and with the shows running so late, there's not as much time after the shows to catch up. That generally leaves Wednesday night and Thursday night (another show we skipped) to do that.

Overkill: Not the band. It's just too much music. I know that sounds odd at a music festival, but there's the show itself, the special show before the show, the show before the special show before the show, the show before the show before the special show before the show, and now the show before the show before the show before the special show before the show. And now the main show is 6 bands per night instead of 5. That's a hell of a lot of music. It's great to have that many choices of bands to see, but it also cuts down on the social time I mentioned earlier.

Now how can you get people like us to go to the Wednesday night event? I wish I had a good answer for you. Maybe if you did something like an acoustic set from someone or an open mic night for bands and fans or combine it with a silly karaoke thing that would work. A lot of people enjoy seeing bands taken out of their element. One of my favorite memories of ProgPower is Rikard from Evergrey and Carina (Tom's wife) doing Dancing Queen at karaoke a few years ago. It was great and bizarre. At something like this, you got to hang with members of the bands a bit more and the socializing still happened here. I think the casual experience of something like this could appeal to a lot of people. Charge some kind of reasonable cover price and I think you'll get a lot of people there. I'm guessing you want to know how you can make a bonafide show work so this response is probably not helping, but that's how I feel about it.

ETA - Reading this post over I realize that the number one aspect among the three I mentioned is the social. I'd be willing to spend money (maybe not as much as this show was) if we were able to get the socializing in in a setting similar to the suggestion I made above. Just something else to think about.

I think the Wed night event should remain something more of a get together and fun event. Let the audience sing some songs. Bring in quality tribute bands to sing songs that EVERYONE knows. I'd lay odds that: "A tribute to Iron Maiden, with Maiden fan karaoke following", would both cost less to put on AND bring out more people.

PP is special, and it's a long enough concert as it is. Let's go back to an evening hang out with some special events.

Steve in Philly

+1 ... excellent idea. A Maiden tribute would go over well.

If we're talking tribute bands .. nobody seems to do my boy King Diamond better than the guys in "Them" out of New York. That would be fun .. for me at least ;)

Britt

you know what would be kind of awesome on Wednesday? An accoustic set, maybe a few bands from the main fest or something. This would play down the fatigue AND the social factor. Maybe have one all out set or something from another band to close it out. the sonic assault of 4 days seems to be an overpowering factor for people, as well of the length of the whole festivities.

If everyone starts saying that Wednesday should be left for socializing, then chances are Nathan will just give up on putting the show on. That would be a damn shame, since he worked his ass off to put MidWeek Mayhem together.

I say go on with the show. If the lineup is worth it, people will show up. If you guys really need to socialize on Wednesday night, then well, come on Wednesday and hang out with your buddies at the hotel (Artmore courtyard, anyone?). Don't tell me that there shouldn't be a show though. That's just not fair to the people who put it together.

Sorry, but I think it would be a lot MORE of a shame for everyone to say, "Yeah! Four nights of ProgPower!" and then just show up for three of them, thereby misleading Nathan. We're just giving our honest opinions, which is all Nathan was asking. No one is saying he didn't bust his ass, and no one is saying he didn't do a great job. And, honestly, I think your suggestion of having a separate event for socializing would do more harm than good, because it would split loyalties even further. I think whatever the consensus wants, be it a full lineup, a short, intimate show, or simply a social event like metal karaoke or whatever, is probably the best option.

Sorry, but I think it would be a lot MORE of a shame for everyone to say, "Yeah! Four nights of ProgPower!" and then just show up for three of them, thereby misleading Nathan.

Well, then just don't say that. :lol: Isn't that easier?

booB said:
We're just giving our honest opinions, which is all Nathan was asking. No one is saying he didn't bust his ass, and no one is saying he didn't do a great job.

As was I. I didn't imply anyone was saying he didn't do a good job or bust his ass. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. :)

booB said:
And, honestly, I think your suggestion of having a separate event for socializing would do more harm than good, because it would split loyalties even further.

Dude, it isn't really splitting loyalties further. Those who want to attend the show go to the show. Others who don't, well, don't. It's that simple. It's a matter of what you want to do that night.

I tried to thank all of you as you were exiting but I'd like to offer public thanks this time -- it was wonderful to have such an enthusiastic crowd for our line-up!

A very classy move on your part – it was nice to meet you! Kudos to you and Claus for putting together an evening of great music. Personally, I wasn’t familiar with the line-up, but I really wanted to support the cause. (Oddly enough, I got through the 80s as a card-carrying metalhead without being familiar with Manowar’s music...and from talking to others, I know that I wasn’t the only one.)

I do think that the economy had an impact on ticket sales. While the tickets themselves were very reasonably priced (and thanks to TA for not gouging us on “convenience” fees!), adding an extra night of food/hotel is a significant expense. I tend to agree with the folks who suggested that “An evening with...” type of special performance or perhaps another tribute band might be a good draw for next year. If the economy ever gets out of the toilet, I think that more people will be willing to open their wallets and take a chance on bands that they are unfamiliar with.

As for the social aspect, I’m kind of on the fence. Yes, I would *love* more opportunities to carry on conversations with fellow attendees without worrying about rupturing my vocal cords...but at the same time, I’d hate to miss an opportunity for an extra night of kick ass music!

How about this .... 2 up and coming bands, one power, one prog, and if a band from the main fest want to do something then that, but if not, just party and do the whole heavy metal sing along and everyone have a great time.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! This feedback is incredible. I am taking copious notes and I think I have the perfect idea for next year. Unfortunately Glenn has already retired to his cave so it might have to wait a week for it to be unveiled.

PLEASE KEEP THE FEEDBACK COMING! This is extremely helpful! If promoters everywhere had THIS good of a crowd and feedback, I think concert-going would improve 3000%.

Keep on posting -- YOU ARE BEING HEARD!

Kindly yours,
Uncle Swordzy

Nathan,

We didn't make it to the Wed night festivities this year. I appreciate your efforts, but we also were really not that impressed with the lineup. While Vangough seemed interesting, it wasn't enough to pull us down early for another day.

Money is always going to be an issue...not to mention that it is a Wed night so you have to expect a somewhat low turnout.

Although my friend and I pretty much keep to ourselves regarding the social aspect and would prefer to see bands than chatting, I understand what many folks who would come out early might be saying. And, I can honestly say that having something completely unique like acoustic sets, or combos between PP bands, or local heroes, or the crew's band, etc would make it potentially worthwhile.

I also echo that the tribute band thing is intriguing (I play in one myself)...especially when you bring in the "live without a net" approach of the audience members getting up and giving it a whirl like with Mindcrime. That really worked well.

Unfortunately, I probably didn't add anything to the mix, but thanks for the chance to speak at it.

Feedback from someone who was there and enjoyed it - kudos to you, Claus, and all other parties involved for putting together a great show!

I like the basic formula that GorillaBoy alluded to - 1 up and coming power, 1 up and coming prog, and something special. Whether that 'special' be a band from the main fest doing an acoustic/secondary set (Jon Oliva/Circus Maximus/etc.), bringing in a band that we're very likely not going to see elsewhere (Ross the Boss), or even if it's just guys from the main fest jamming on covers. Even a headlining set from someone like Circle II Circle (what was that, 2 years ago?) is cool since they don't tour often. I like getting in on Wednesday and don't expect to get expensive international bands every year, but for me to justify the extra night at the hotel, I need some sort of musical value - I know I'm in the minority on that front, but coming in for socializing and karaoke doesn't appeal to me.

I was there Wednesday and my initial reason for doing so is simple: It is rare for me to have the ability (due to geography) to attend and support one of your shows. When I saw you had been given the opportunity to be a part of the Mid-week Mayhem show, you were the reason I attended. Initially, I didn't have a lot of familiarity with the two openers and I know my Manowar and Ross the Boss familiarity pales in comparison to many. Having said this, I enjoyed the hell out of this event -- all 3 bands. While for some (and I can understand this) making a special effort to see bands that are largely unfamiliar (probably not the best word choice but these post wisdom tooth extraction meds are scrambling my two good neurons) I actually enjoy discovering new music in a live setting. So, if it says Swordlord Productions and if I can get out to support, I'm there!

Others have stated good reasons for not being able to be there like economics, time away from work/school, the desire to socialize with friends seldom seen, etc. At the Wednesday show I was actually able to both socialize and enjoy good music so it worked out well for me. I also have a bit of flexibility with my employer and was able to mitigate my financial outlay for an extra day in Atlanta because I traveled and roomed with 3 other friends so many costs were shared.

So as far as offering constructive criticism/advice I'm really not sure what to add. It seems these days, uniqueness is working its way up many peoples' pre-ProgPower events decision making criteria. That is to say, if people have a chance to see something they don't get the chance to see everyday or even at all suddenly your event becomes more enticing. It has been suggested that something that deviates from what we might have once considered the ProgPower norm is such an enticement. Glenn has started really mixing things of this sort in his line-ups and, from the people I have talked to, the results are positive. But I think Wednesday night gives you an even better opportunity to experiment and to maybe take a stab at something really unique and build your show around that. For example, I think you could successfully focus on a group or groups that people would never expect to see at ProgPower. While most of us really like power and prog, for example, many of us also enjoy a mixed bag of groups ranging from thrash to black to death to folk to you name it. I know we've talked a bit about things like this before. I even like the idea of the King Diamond tribute act (though perhaps not as the headliner) because I'm a huge King Diamond fan.

The reality is that you can't please all the people all of the time and people will have legitimate reasons for not being able to attend. But if you can give them at least one band, something unique, something that would grab people and make them think "he booked WHO? wow, how did he do that??!! i've got to see this!" then you're going to put people at your show. That's my thought at least. Ross the Boss was a good idea but perhaps some felt that "well Manowar or that style is something I'm going to hear for the next 3 days" and that just made them opt out of attending. Who knows? Just a thought at least. Like I said, I enjoyed his band immensely but perhaps others need "something different".

Now I'm rambling.....

I could shoot you some ideas I have and see what you think if you like. And I look forward to reading others' thoughts on what you might do. I think you did something very positive, very enjoyable, and that's what you needed this first time out as you were getting your feet wet with promoting something out of state and considered associated the ProgPower festival. My compliments and congratulations on a job well done and I know whatever you decide to do next I'll be there in support.

I was there and had a blast, and will gladly do it again next year. As for line-up, I for one would like more non-prog and power metal bands, since we get enough from the main fest, maybe try for some of the bands from the US that seem to only play Keep It True, but I may be alone in this.

Great SHOW!!!!! Ross the Boss made the show.. Thanks for your hard work and your great booking!!!!!!!!

For me it was not-going due to overkill of music like several others had said. Not that I don't like live music, but knowing the entire weekend was about to be filled with it made going Wednedsay seem a bit much. That said, a SPECIAL set, like last year's Circus Maximus deal, would have sealed it for me. Something Unique is better than just another night of bands...even if they are good ones.

All I have to say is thank you for bringing Vangough to the show; it was an amazing experience for me as I specifically came down Wednesday just to see them In my opinion, Manikin Parade is one of the best releases of the year and they proved it. I had a blast Wednesday night

As a first timer and a huge fan of traditional metal the Ross The Boss set was a perfect choice, it also coupled well with Accept on Thursday.

What I was really digging about it was that both RTB and Accept were both bands that had a big influence on the power metal bands that played the actual festival (as it was proven Thursday when you saw guys like Oscar from Hammerfall in the crowd rocking the hell out to Accept) Plus it gives some of the inexperienced bands like SK (who in my opinion has a long way to go as a live band before they play with a band the caliber of Blind Guardian, Ross The Boss or any legend for that matter but that is strictly from a performance and stage presence aspect, they sound great on their album)

If you ask me Nathan I would take what you did for Midweek and take it one step further and maybe try something like a New Wave Of British Heavy Metal night or a straight up traditional power metal night, or even a old school prog-rock night and get some of those bands that influenced the current lineup of the festival, that way for first timers you get a full experience and they can see what inspired the great bands they will see later on in the week to do what they do.

If I may make a suggestion, next year I would book bands that are more on par with the headliner (and I don't mean from a "talent" level, I mean more genre specific)

Because this can be a show that you can put on that can stand on its own two feet, and you could easily gain some new fans, you could even get some people that would possibly travel just for that show and once they get there end up staying for the rest of the festival.

Plus if you book some bands that influenced the bands that are playing the fest you could see them at the show and how cool would that be?? Imagine the guys from Dream Evil hanging out at The Loft while they are watching one of their favorite bands from the 80's! That would give the fans a chance to meet even more musicians.

That's just my opinion.

And May The Power, Glory and Might of Metal Be With You!