Mikael, when you guys come to America this time...

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
...consider having less warm-up bands. I saw you guys at the pound in SF, which was packed, and I didn't hear one single person say "Whoa, I can't fucking wait to hear Tapping the Vein!!"

I know there's label politics and costs to consider, but I swear to you that venue, and every other one on the tour, would have been just as full if you'd only had one warm-up band.

You guys might not realize as much, but you are basically like Iron Maiden in your fan's eyes. That is...people who are Opeth fans come to see OPETH.

Of course, if you bring somebody good, that's a different thing altogether....ahem. (The Porcupine Tree tour, obviously, was a cool exception....)

Just a thought........

I don't mind having 2 or 3 openers if they're any good. I'd rather see Opeth and 2 good bands opening than just Opeth alone. Unfortunately openers tend to be hit and miss. Worst case, if the band sucks, just go have a couple beers at the bar, head over to the merch tables, etc. It's not the end of the world.

I was at the Pound show, and my probelem wasn't so much with the fact that there were opening acts, but rather that they played such long, long sets (especialy Paradise Lost, which I geuss makes some sence considering they hadn't been to America, in what, ten years. But lets be honest 95% of the people there came to see Opeth, and having to sit through a whole hour of PLs average brit rock got real realy old.

Yeah, that's all I'm saying. By the time Opeth went on it was really really late. Now, it's not like I had to be anywhere....but sitting though those bands, and the unreal (it was really quite long) time between sets....well....Christ almighty is all.

Anyway, point taken about having a couple of beers when the sucky band is on, or bands......I'm only sayin' that I've rarely seen shows where the bands were a good match; where I really wanted to see them both. NIN and A Perfect Circle....and Opeth and Porcupine Tree are really the only good matches I think I've ever seen....and I've seen a fair amount of shows. Oh, wait...Iron Maiden, Motorhead, and Dio was cool.

But, how many times has it seemed like management just chose the other (opening) band's name out of a hat....like 80% I'd say. I better quit griping....

I'll go see Opeth (or any favorite band) either way....just...Opeth with 3 openers, all of whom interest the average Opeth fan not at all....is a bit much. You get it...heh.

Hey, here's an alternative, bring your guitar, get on stage, and pull your own shit out, and entertain the crowd with your music. That would be cool, until Mikael comes out and kicks you in the balls and starts playing Serenity Painted Death.

I was at that show at the Pound, and I know what you mean. It was absolute hell standing, waiting through that absolute shit band. Most of it was because of the venue itself. The Pound was much too small of a club, and word was they let in more people than the capacity allows for. So there was nowhere to go sit down, except for outside, but it's always freezing there. If there's a way to 'get away' from the crap opening bands (because nowadays you can't go to a concert without seeing at least one), it would be at a bigger venue where there's room to stretch out. And Opeth, judging by their increasing popularity, will certainly be playing bigger venues from now on.

ElectricWiz said:
NIN and A Perfect Circle
:eek: when was this?

Barefoot In The Dark said:
...And Opeth, judging by their increasing popularity, will certainly be playing bigger venues from now on.

Yes...they played the Fillmore with Porcupine Tree for the Damnation tour. And I'm sure they'll play a larger venue when they come this winter as they almost sold out that show. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that the Fillmore is having metal shows now.

I completely understand how sitting through crap or even decent opening bands is annoying but aren't you referring to the 4 Absent Friends tour? With Lacuna Coil, Paradise Lost and Tapping The Vein. That was a package that Opeth headlined, not just a normal tour.

"when was this"....

Yeah...it was the Fragile tour. The first APC record had only been out for about a week or so when the tour came through my area. It was really one of the best bills I've ever seen. I thought The Fragile was amazing, and I was obsessed with the APC record.....I saw them in Nebraska (of all places) where I was living at the time....

Judas Pissed said:
I completely understand how sitting through crap or even decent opening bands is annoying but aren't you referring to the 4 Absent Friends tour? With Lacuna Coil, Paradise Lost and Tapping The Vein. That was a package that Opeth headlined, not just a normal tour.

Yea, even though I love Opeth, I was more excited to see Paradise Lost (kicked ass BTW :p ) Tapping the Vein isn't exactly in the Opeth vibe, but they were decent I give them credit :tickled:

MindInsane said:
Quote: Originally Posted by Funeral Portrait
i had to sit through half an hour of yakuza when i saw opeth. man i hate yakuza...
God that was complete torture! That is one strange band indeed!
I like Yakuza...

However, the only bands I'd like to ever see with Opeth would be Agalloch, Novembre, or Extol.

Agalloch and Opeth would probably be the greatest concert I've ever gone to

I'd probably have to bring a few changes of underwear

I agree. When I saw them in 2002, there were 3 bands playing before them. I missed one of them but I had to watch Tapping the Vein and Paradise Lost for at least 2 hours - if you count the wait - before Opeth set foot on stage. If I were seated I wouldn't mind as much. It just tires you before the Opeth set for which you need all your energy. As someone said before, 95 % of the crowd goes to the Opeth show to see Opeth. They should only hook up with one local band and play a longer set.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that they should start playing bigger venues. Bigger venues are usually more agreable venues for the fans. I just hate those basements !