Mike, please don't pull a Swano

The amount of fail on this board has risen to a new level of fail, if the magicelf is to be taken seriously.

Thats how my friends who play WoW talk, followed by some 1337 and something about pwnage, confuses the hell out of me. Think people have raised some valid points, though pretty sure everyones just gonna have to wait and see what happens, Mike is always full of suprises

The music is evolving, so why not the vocals ?? It just seems natural to me.
I do hope all future Opeth albums will contain some growling, but I don't need a majority of it to be happy.
As long as the music remains great, I don't care about the vox. Besides his clean voice is really good.

The music is evolving, so why not the vocals ?? It just seems natural to me.
I do hope all future Opeth albums will contain some growling, but I don't need a majority of it to be happy.
As long as the music remains great, I don't care about the vox. Besides his clean voice is really good.

There's a certain new raspiness in places which make me feel bad for doubting he could even pull off Would?

His clean vocals are up there with the best, as well as his growls is what I think personally.

Please don't ever stop growling. I'm worried new album seems like you are going in that direction. :zombie::zombie::zombie:
I don't see how that works. Dan stopped cause his technique damaged his throat. I don't think Mike's does. So there's no real reason other than if Mike decided he didn't want to any more.

The new album is really kind of bland to me honestly. I love both sides of Opeth ,but I really dont care for the direction they are heading with. Its almost like the band doesnt put both elements together very much anymore. Ever since they stripped down to either heavy/mellow for Deliverance and Damnation....it just hasnt been as exciting. A few good tracks ,but not really as Epic as past offerings.

I do agree with you. The heavy stuff just seems a bit half-hearted; and lacks the conviction and rawness of previous stuff imo (I hate to compare, but it's just unavoidable). It just isn't all that seamless and naturally flowing to my ears.

The amount of fail on this board has risen to a new level of fail, if the magicelf is to be taken seriously.

damn i thought this forum is clean of people like this guy
this is why some people view metal of any sort as nerd music:oops:

Don't get me wrong. I love Dan Swano's work in Nightingale, but sometimes it's depressing to listen to some of his Growl's in Edge of Sanity, knowing he will probably never do them again because, like fanboy Tumn pointed out, it effects his clean singing.

I also enjoy Opeth's lighter side. I think Mike has a magnificent voice, but after listening to the new stuff, bitching as it may be, I noticed a distinct lack of ball crushing death vox (Heir Apparent has some good ones but the effects kind of ruin it). To paraphrase Mike himself, Opeth is and always will be a Death Metal band. But what is a Death Metal band without some great growls? We know from the new Bloodbath that Mike is a fucking monster. Creatively branching out is always good for a band, but just because you are a fan of the band doesn't mean you have to think every new shift in direction is amazing, as I've said many times before, stop jocking the bands dicks at any mention of negative feedback. God knows Opeth are amazing musicians and Watershed shits on 90% of the music today, but when compared to their back catalog, some parts are weaker than others.

PS- Rofl at the fanboy tears :lol::lol:

I think Mikael's cleans are now becoming better than his growls, which is something that hasn't really happened before in Opeth yet (at least in my opinion). He just knows how damn good of a singer he is now and doesn't mind showing it to everyone.

Plus the singing on the new stuff certainly fits the song type that he wrote. Growling just for the sake of sounding brutal sounds kinda dumb if you ask me. Sure, it's not as heavy as it used to be back in the Ghost Reveries and Deliverance days, but that doesn't make it bad by any means.

Don't get me wrong. I love Dan Swano's work in Nightingale, but sometimes it's depressing to listen to some of his Growl's in Edge of Sanity, knowing he will probably never do them again because, like fanboy Tumn pointed out, it effects his clean singing.

He's doing Moontower II as well, that will involve growls.

I, for one, don't think that more growl = better. His clean voice is becoming better and better, and I think that few, more powerful growls can kick constant growling's ass anyday. That being said, I don't want Mike to drop growling completely, absolutely not! Just, I don't think less growls is a bad thing.

While I agree with you, I feel like the clean vocals are a little...over the top now...