mike's fastest solo

White Cluster....maybe not that fast compared to others but there power brutality and speed all contribute to this solo kicking you right up your ass.

All of the good arguments have been given, so I'm just gonna go ahead and state a fact: Xanthas=FUCKING IDIOT!

Good arguments eh?
All we've had thus far is a buttload of ad hom and "Lennon wasnt fast so Mike doesnt have to either".

My point is, that was in a whole other environment, with different role models and lower standards, electric guitar was still a relatively new instrument and its capabilities were far from taken anywhere near to their limits.

Whereas now, its a mature instrument, and a self-respecting musician would be expected to at least be somewhat proficient at it.

With all those metal role models Mikael had in his youth, how could he not reach anywhere near their technical capabilities?

Good arguments eh?
All we've had thus far is a buttload of ad hom and "Lennon wasnt fast so Mike doesnt have to either".

My point is, that was in a whole other environment, with different role models and lower standards, electric guitar was still a relatively new instrument and its capabilities were far from taken anywhere near to their limits.

Whereas now, its a mature instrument, and a self-respecting musician would be expected to at least be somewhat proficient at it.

With all those metal role models Mikael had in his youth, how could he not reach anywhere near their technical capabilities?

Maybe he's not interested in shredding. Ever thought of that?
Metal is fucking stupid when it comes to some of its fans.

What about all those shredders who can't write interesting music?
Why not complain about that? People can't be 100% at everything.

Xarthaz: I think you have never touched a guitar before. Shredding needs practice of shredding. Even if you play the guitar 24/7 you won't hit those 200 BPM's if all you play is slow solos or chord progressions. Good thing that, if all you play is slow solos or chord progressions, you don't need shredding.

BTW, I think Mike is a great guitar player, he plays in such a confident manner.

Good arguments eh?

some people just get nothing out of technical skills, you have to understand that people have different visions in music...if mike wanted to practise hours every day for several years just to become a fast guitarist he would have done that.

aside from the fact that this is claerly someone trying to wind everyone up on a forum and get a reaction....

role models of akerfeldts youth = ritchie blackmore. i can see the similarities here in proficiency, technicality, feel and style.

thank godness for ritchie blackmore.

I'm going to go ahead and back up Xarthaz here since the rest of you seem to be biased, stubborn and quite honestly obnoxious. Xarthaz makes a good point, Mike could be a much better technical guitar player yet he is not. Does he just not practice for whatever reason, or is he comfortable with his current ability, I don't know. But all of you ardently defending Mike and attacking Xarthaz need a reality check.

^Yea we need a reality check :)
Mike writes good music, they can play it live, you guys like it, they like it...what more do you want?
It's not like he doesn't get practise playing those long ass tours, playing solidly machinewise is not as easy as people think.
Alexi, Herman li and some other guys sure can wank, but they are sloppy as hell.

I'm going to go ahead and back up Xarthaz here since the rest of you seem to be biased, stubborn and quite honestly obnoxious. Xarthaz makes a good point, Mike could be a much better technical guitar player yet he is not. Does he just not practice for whatever reason, or is he comfortable with his current ability, I don't know. But all of you ardently defending Mike and attacking Xarthaz need a reality check.

Reality check? Did we say he was a shredder?
No!

He is not as fast as Fredrik.
So what?

I don't get the whole fast=good, idea. Most shredders totally overplay and don't seem to have a clue about anything musical whatsoever. I love a good solo but it certainly don't have to be fast, in fact I prefer the long notes that shows feel, something you have to have in order to touch someone with your musicality. None of my fave guitarplayers are shredders apart from Yngwie (old stuff) and Fred (of course, but he's a "soul" player too) and EVH (who I barely consider a "shredder" anyways)

So to your question, no I don't practise, if you wonder if I practise scales. But I play guitar everyday, I try to be versatile. I play lots of acoustic guitar too, and my fingerpicking is pretty good I have to say. So as a team, me and Fred covers a lot of ground. I mean together we smoke most of the other dudes haha! Just kidding...

Now put the shredder dudes up against Blackmore, Gilmour, Latimer, Tommy Emanuel, Bert Jansch, Jerry Donahue...well it is painfully obvious who the real artists are I think. Well, for my taste that is.

Maybe it's a growing up thing, I don't know...

Cheers
Mike

Yes and I'm happy with the way Opeth is now, but playing fast solos isn't such a horrible thing especially for Opeth as you have a lot of fast parts, some on which a super fast shredding solo would fit perfectly. I think you're a very confident playing guitar player and could easily shred if you took some months to do it. But doesn't matter much now as you have Fred in your band.

Hmm, I don't really see the big deal about speed, I remember when I foolishly thought Dragonforce were amazing simply because it was really fast, then I realised it's actually pretty boring because thats all they do, play mediocre stuff quickly, when it comes to speed, I think some is good, but I prefer to have a fast drummer with some nice chunky guitars over it (but not especially fast). Personally I've never been particularly bothered about solos, I don't really notice them because I just listen to a song as a whole, although now I've started trying to play guitar I've been more aware of the solos for songs I plan on learning whereas before I didn't really think 'oh there is a solo' I just thought of solos as another part of the music.

I think I'll try listening to some Opeth sped up just for a laugh.

Hmmm, I just thought, surely playing guitar everyday kinda counts as practising it?

Hmm... it really depends wether it's a fast and complex song or not. I do appreciate fast and technical guitarists to some extent (Al DiMeola, Allan Holdsworth etc.) as I often find myself playing or trying to play fast but if it's a slow song (take any of Malmsteen's ballads) and the guitarist overplays over it, it sucks. Otherwise it's okay.

Just as I thought, speeding it up just sounds messed up, I played it at 1.4x and it sounded really cheesy XD

Also, something I forgot to mention in my previous post, I love the bit towards the end of BP where the drums speed up or something at about 10:10 :) but that is completely irrelevant to guitar solos :S

I don't get the whole fast=good, idea. Most shredders totally overplay and don't seem to have a clue about anything musical whatsoever. I love a good solo but it certainly don't have to be fast, in fact I prefer the long notes that shows feel, something you have to have in order to touch someone with your musicality. None of my fave guitarplayers are shredders apart from Yngwie (old stuff) and Fred (of course, but he's a "soul" player too) and EVH (who I barely consider a "shredder" anyways)

So to your question, no I don't practise, if you wonder if I practise scales. But I play guitar everyday, I try to be versatile. I play lots of acoustic guitar too, and my fingerpicking is pretty godly I have to say. So as a team, me and Fred covers a lot of ground. I mean together we smoke most of the other dudes haha! Just kidding...

Now put the shredder dudes up against Blackmore, Gilmour, Latimer, Tommy Emanuel, Bert Jansch, Jerry Donahue...well it is painfully obvious who the real artists are I think. Well, for my taste that is.

Maybe it's a growing up thing, I don't know...

Cheers
Mike

Fixed!