Tribute to Mike's Clean voice

all_sins_undone said:
mike would have to be my favorite vocalist. probably and mostly because of the emotional value opeth has for me, but he really has an undeniably beautiful voice. he may not be the best vocalist in technical terms, but he really knows how to pour his heart and soul into his music, and also has the gift to make the listener feel what he feels.

I agree with everything you just mentioned. And the best clean singing would have to be around the 5min mark in BTPISIO

all_sins_undone said:
mike would have to be my favorite vocalist. probably and mostly because of the emotional value opeth has for me, but he really has an undeniably beautiful voice. he may not be the best vocalist in technical terms, but he really knows how to pour his heart and soul into his music, and also has the gift to make the listener feel what he feels.

That's one of the best posts I've seen of yours. I agree with every single word.:kickass:

I agree with almost everything being said in this thread, I've never heard anyone who's better then mike :)

biggsy said:
dirge for november, the beginning is incredible. heaps of people juts laugh coz you can hear him breathing through his nostrils but the voice has SO much emotion in it.

No doubt about it. The beginning of that song, is amongst my favorite Opeth moments.

The production work on BWP is top notch.

One of my favourite singers, his voice is very smooth and unique...he is fantastic but still not my top 1. Jonas Renkse, Jeff Buckley, Morrissey, Jeremy Enigk, Scott Walker, Nick Drake, David Sylvian, Akerfeldt, Steve Wilson, Geddy Lee, Mark Hollis and Tom Waits are my favourite vocalists...in that order.

He's got a good voice, and definately good placement where his vocals are concerned (the simple line "...To find my way back home" on When actually kinda brings tears to my eyes), but the only gripe I have is that his range seems a bit limited. Other than that, I enjoy his vocals.

FRUGiHOYi said:
To Bid You Farewell.

We walked into the night
Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear is shed
Is for you?

that part sealed the deal for me...!!!....i was asked to cover the song....and I had never heard of them...adn tehn I heard this song...and I was like.....where the hell have I been ....why did I miss such a great band...!!!......PEAC EOUT

waz416c said:
We walked into the night
Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear is shed
Is for you?

that part sealed the deal for me...!!!....i was asked to cover the song....and I had never heard of them...adn tehn I heard this song...and I was like.....where the hell have I been ....why did I miss such a great band...!!!......PEAC EOUT
Exactly. So did you ever cover it? I covered just that outro, I can send it to you if you wanna hear (posted it here before). It's not as good as the original though.

FRUGiHOYi said:
Exactly. So did you ever cover it? I covered just that outro, I can send it to you if you wanna hear (posted it here before). It's not as good as the original though.

I heard ures and commented in the thread when u posted it....heres my cover....well I only sand.... http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=376557&T=370261 .....also this was way back...when I knew nothign about recording and singing...hahhaa.......PEAC EOUT

ok... so i read all the posts. people talking about mike's being part of the best five singers and so on... for me, mike's voice is the best voice i've ever heard!
i started listening to opeth about a year ago (or more). the first song was Harvest. it was then when i caught by mike's voice and since then i couldn't listen to any other band/singer.
mike's voice gave (and still gives) me a lot of inspiration to my both playing and singing... i no doubtly can say that in my opinion mike's work is absolutly genius. he's the best composer/player/singer.:kickass:

love u Mike!
cheers

waz416c said:
We walked...!!!... into the night... ! .!
Am I.... to bid you.... farewell?!!!!...!!!

Why can't you ...see that I try...!!!...
When every tear...!!!... is shed...!..!
.... .....Is for you?!!? ...!!!... PEAC EOUT

fix'd

Bierbommetje said:

heck u didnt even try...that was teh alziest attempt at Wazifying a post...!!!....fail...!!!.....hahaha........PEAC EOUT

I read somewhere that Mikael did the vocals for "Hours of Wealth" in one take.That, to me is incredible. Still my favorite "clean" song by Opeth is "Benighted". The vocals come in with the acoustic guitar playing, is one of the most beautiful moments of recorded music I've ever heard.

i aint play this said:
One of my favourite singers, his voice is very smooth and unique...he is fantastic but still not my top 1. Jonas Renkse, Jeff Buckley, Morrissey, Jeremy Enigk, Scott Walker, Nick Drake, David Sylvian, Akerfeldt, Steve Wilson, Geddy Lee, Mark Hollis and Tom Waits are my favourite vocalists...in that order.

Ahhh... Jonas Renske... pure bliss:kickass:

BloodSword said:
I read somewhere that Mikael did the vocals for "Hours of Wealth" in one take.That, to me is incredible. Still my favorite "clean" song by Opeth is "Benighted". The vocals come in with the acoustic guitar playing, is one of the most beautiful moments of recorded music I've ever heard.

Hours of Wealth has to rate as one of my top 5 vocal performances ever. I love the song too, but the vocals are just oozing emotion.

opeth8 said:
No doubt about it. The beginning of that song, is amongst my favorite Opeth moments.
Me too.

To me it's not necessarily that Mike's voice is so incredible, but just that the melodies he writes are so amazing.

Jude said:
but just that the melodies he writes are so amazing.

AMEN...!!!...that man knows his melodies...!!!....thats somethign I think he got from listenin to all that beatles....hahha....!!!!....he def. has sa gift for beautiful vocal melodies...!!!....sometiems I wish I could jsut come up with cool melodies liek his u know....they have a certain medeival feel to tehm...almost...!!!....really nice emotive voice too.......PEAC EOUT