Mike's Hoarse Voice

Benighted Joe

Opethian
Oct 21, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
www.myspace.com
I've had Watershed Special Edition for some time now, but I finally got around
to listen to the bonus material.

Damn what is it with Mike's voice? Everything he does sound magnificient to me!

I really dig that hoarse thing he does at high notes in songs like "Burden" and the
cover "Bridge of Sighs"! It doesn't really sound strained or quite like his natural
voice either. I know he could sing it clear if he wanted. Anyhow, I simply love it.
I first heard his hoarse voice in the first release of the cover "Soldier of Fortune".
Unfortunately, in the official re-recording of that particular song Mike sings it
clean. It's a pity really!

I completely agree, he really does bust out some killer "'Ol Mans Rock" vocals.
I wonder how they would work if he used them in other songs? Probably not too well I guess, burden and the bridge of sighs cover have a much different feel compared to other songs, so the hoarse vocals work excellently in them. :worship:

Yep, his vox in Bridge of Sighs really shows a new aspect of his vox. I hope next cd is even more varied so he truly gets to open up.

It all comes down to Mike getting to the point of doing it better than anyone currently out there. Seriously, how much better can he get? He's got absolutely amazing clean vocals (as well as incorporating the newer hoarse vox), insanely face-melting death growls (can't think of anyone who can do it better), and his guitar playing is border-line phenominal!

Funny thing is, I don't think he's even at his peak yet. He will just continue to improve until Opeth's song and sound becomes an illicit substance. I sometimes notice myself putting a CD in the player, listening to a song or 2, then taking it back out to put some :worship:Opeth on. I'm a little scared.o_O

It all comes down to Mike getting to the point of doing it better than anyone currently out there. Seriously, how much better can he get? He's got absolutely amazing clean vocals (as well as incorporating the newer hoarse vox), insanely face-melting death growls (can't think of anyone who can do it better), and his guitar playing is border-line phenominal!

Funny thing is, I don't think he's even at his peak yet. He will just continue to improve until Opeth's song and sound becomes an illicit substance. I sometimes notice myself putting a CD in the player, listening to a song or 2, then taking it back out to put some :worship:Opeth on. I'm a little scared.o_O

Liquid is in your throat....o_O addictive o_O

Mikael Akerfeldt..... at a higher level? The very idea sends shivers down my spine! He has already become one who has some what tapped into his music and has let it become part of him. And the hoarse vocals, as I was noticing, just shows how he can use his voice. He can manipulate it into a magnificent clean voice or give it that sort of coarse sound that just, to me, is so indescribable.

How great that you all agree with me on this. However, I don't want him to resort only to cockrock just yet. However, in the future, why not?
It would be a great thing if - I said if - Opeth eventually breaks up, that he continues with another project. Old man's rock :)