Mike's new blog...

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6003119 said:
Hi guys!

Well, he has the right to think it's going to suck or whatever, and to be honest if he lingers on those two records (MR and MAYH) he probably will think the new stuff sucks regardless of what we do. In those days I didn't really have a forum in which to keep in touch with the people who liked our music and was never given the chance to say what the new stuff "sounded like". If I could have I'd said the whole of the MR album was created because I was listening to Steeleye span, Mellow candle, Wes Montgomery, Folque, Kebnekajse. Judas Priest, Scorpions, Bathory and At the gates. MAYH was created on a healthy dose of Bathory (always, fucking always), Robin Trower, Porcupine tree, Alphonse Mouzon, King Diamond, Pink Floyd and Morbid Angel.

I can't help it. I listen to music all the time and it influence me to that extent that the only references I have is from other bands. I can't say "That new part" and "The other new part"...I always find a reference in other bands or a mishmash of bands. It certainly doesn't mean that I write something that sounds exactly like...Bathory. It's just a reference that sometimes can be based on one chord, one note, one beat, one pause...something, anything, nothing. Most of you will never hear why I called it "that" in the first place! You can be calm, it won't be more of a rip off album or uninspired shit than any of the other records we've done. But I can't guarantee you'll like it or deem it "progressive" enough. I'll await judgement...

Cheers + hope you're all well, including the "non-believers"...
Mike
cheers :kickass:

sounds like the new album is gonna be awesome :)

Let's just lay it down now - if it isn't amazing, people will say it is nonetheless. Same thing if Cradle of Filth actually put out something amazing - people will still say it sucks. Some people just can't think for themselves.

What the fuck?! Are you retarded or just plain old fucked up? NO! If Cradle released something amazing, i would bloody well say so! Damnation And A Day was flat out amazing, But Thornography, is to my taste, pure shite. Now I think that Blackwater Park is amazing, and GR will never be as good, but that's just my opinion! Why the hell would people have been bagging out GR all of the time?

ftlog stop being such an attention seeker already

Well that's the thing - it's all down to personal taste. I don't find it a particularly creative approach, and Opeth have succeeded in the past and shown they don't have to resort to that. The trend is that the more a band gets on in years the more effort is needed to keep creative, even though the possibilities are greater. Don't you find it funny that most bands fail to capitalise on that and get worse as they go on? I feel Opeth could benefit from a more "top-down" approach given their talent. Would be a waste to have something sounding like a bunch of other bands with the "opeth touch" (which was never about a talent for combining different things anyway - there was definitely a spark there no other band had). Anyway, there's no hope of me influencing Mike and as I said, it's a personal thing.

I hate to burst your bubble man, but music is all about ripping off other musicians before them.. early folk music societies have shown that musicians keep tradition alive by "borrowing" or recreating the music made by others. People passed on oral traditions long before music was written down, so therefore gl finding ANY band out there that doesn't borrow elements of music from other bands/musicians.. Every once in a while you'll find a band that sounds really original, and you'll say wow ive never heard this before, but sure enough if you dig deep enough you are gonna find roots of music somewhere. The difference with Mikael is that he admits where he gets his influences. At least he's paying a little bit of tribute to those bands he apparantly "rips off".

What the fuck?! Are you retarded or just plain old fucked up? NO! If Cradle released something amazing, i would bloody well say so! Damnation And A Day was flat out amazing, But Thornography, is to my taste, pure shite. Now I think that Blackwater Park is amazing, and GR will never be as good, but that's just my opinion! Why the hell would people have been bagging out GR all of the time?

ftlog stop being such an attention seeker already

Well, he's actually right about people slamming a hypothetical good Cradle of Filth album. I can definitely see that happening. People tend to be set in their opinions. And I'm sure that even if, God forbid, Opeth did put out a bad record, a lot of people would still deny that they thought it was bad and try to force themselves to like it. Which, if you think about it, is sort of a good thing to be able to, at least in terms of relationships with people....and now I'm just rambling.

What? You mean he's taking his music personal? What a guy!
Sorry about that, Anarkissed, don't take it personal.

Although I kinda agree, what's the point of posting that you don't like something? I mean, you have the right to do it, but, what's the big idea?

It's kinda like the comic book guy in Simpsons. "Now I have to go on tha internet and use my duty as a fan to say that was the worst episode e-v-e-r."

Hi guys!

Well, he has the right to think it's going to suck or whatever, and to be honest if he lingers on those two records (MR and MAYH) he probably will think the new stuff sucks regardless of what we do. In those days I didn't really have a forum in which to keep in touch with the people who liked our music and was never given the chance to say what the new stuff "sounded like". If I could have I'd said the whole of the MR album was created because I was listening to Steeleye span, Mellow candle, Wes Montgomery, Folque, Kebnekajse. Judas Priest, Scorpions, Bathory and At the gates. MAYH was created on a healthy dose of Bathory (always, fucking always), Robin Trower, Porcupine tree, Alphonse Mouzon, King Diamond, Pink Floyd and Morbid Angel.

I can't help it. I listen to music all the time and it influence me to that extent that the only references I have is from other bands. I can't say "That new part" and "The other new part"...I always find a reference in other bands or a mishmash of bands. It certainly doesn't mean that I write something that sounds exactly like...Bathory. It's just a reference that sometimes can be based on one chord, one note, one beat, one pause...something, anything, nothing. Most of you will never hear why I called it "that" in the first place! You can be calm, it won't be more of a rip off album or uninspired shit than any of the other records we've done. But I can't guarantee you'll like it or deem it "progressive" enough. I'll await judgement...

Cheers + hope you're all well, including the "non-believers"...
Mike

mike is teh pwnage. great to see the album is going so well. :):)

i'm his biggest fanboi, nobody touches me fyi

wrong. i am opeth and mikes biggest fanboy.

While I don't necessarly agree with hibernal_dream assessment of Mike's blog, I do have to give it up to him for stating his case. Music is very subjective, duh, we all have our likes and dislikes, and want our music to sound a certain way, at least he can put together a paragraph as opposed to those that incessantly resort to the catty one liner responses which usually go something like...you're clueless or you suck..personally I don't hold much creedence for that kind of mindless drivle...it just make this forum a waste of time and perpetuates itself into more posts in this vein..
If I had to pick an Opeth song that epitomizes what I hope the new album is like it would be "Dirge for Noverber". It has everything that makes Opeth cool to me....acoustic guitar, clean electric solos, heavy riffs, a slight progressive feel to it, clean vox, and when the growls come in, it turns to brutal intensity...and that classic Opeth riff at 5:35...tell me anyone else that sounds like but Opeth?

When Beethoven was writing his 5th did he write in his blog "oh i'll just combine a little Bach, some Scarlatti chops and a touch of Mozart, I think my fans will be really impressed" No! There's a difference between drawing on influences to create an original work (MAYH), and defining a work solely by reference to those influences (~100% of modern music). Music is not a recipe with a certain number of ingredients, the ratio of which conditions its quality.

Yes, but automaticly, without knowing, you are influanced and based upon other music.

Mozart to, was influenced, some prehistoric man discovering the drum was influenced by something. Every music is based on other music, not conciously always, but yes.

and BOOM this thread jumps 10 pages over night. haha

yes, mike is def very down to earth. How many band leaders at the height of where mike is right now would continue to post on a fan message board filled with as many morons that plague this message board.

1, mike akerfeldt. Loyal guy to his fans! Personally, musicaly (he doesn't make bad music :p ), and gigally (he does so many gigs! O: )

But the credit goes to the other band members to, not only mike. Though mainly mike, seeing he writes the music and stuff :p Wow I talk to much