Military Service

I think Janne mentioned on the forum once that they always used to find some excuse, and that this year(probably last year or 2006) they needed to find some excuse cause the Military were expecting them to show up.

Fuck, reminds me that i need to come up with something for my compulsory military duty.. Fuck if im gonna be in the airforce pretending to shoot down planes, ive got better things to do for 1 year than run around there

Also, shouldnt this be in the quick/beginner question thread?

i've actually never heard this question come up anywhere or been answered anywhere so this doesn't seem like something to go in a beginner thread but yeah i never thought about that, if they all have to go in for 1 year wouldn't it just make sense to do it all at the same time and keep cob on break for a year so they don't have to go out and find some other person to fill a spot?

They expect a professional touring band to stop what they're doing, cut their hair and do military shit for a whole year? That's fucking bullshit.

I agree, I know Alexi was exempt from it, but that whole shit with Jani from Sonata really pissed me off. Probably seems crap to people who have to do it, but if England had military service, it'd instill some kind of discipline in people, and hopefully thin off the fucking population too.

Mandatory patriotism. Sounds lovely.

Although I can't help but be embarrassed for most of my country's activities.

Basically, Switzerland > everyone else. Neutrality FTW.

I must say that Finland's government definitely has a lot more to offer to its citizens than the republic of America. Social democracy for the win.

Alexi has been exempted from military service due to medical reasons that he has said himself. I don't know about other guys, but because Jaska and Janne turn 29 this year they must have dealt with it one way or another (military/civilian duty or exempt) otherwise they wouldn't have their passports (for my understanding guys' that haven't done their military/civilian service get passports that are valid only up to the end of that year they turn 28 ). Henkka still have time to end of this year, but it would have been stupid not to take care of it because they had long break and all. Actually I though in some point that maybe one reason for long break is that some of the guys are doing their civilian duty. I dunno it would be nice to know.

But I know lot of guys that have been exempted because of the medical reasons, some of them for valid reasons most of them... well not so valid reasons.

In my country if you have a certificate from the doctor saying you have a health problem, mentally retarded you get exempted from military service.

also you don;t have to go if you;re a homosexual...

In my country if you have a certificate from the doctor saying you have a health problem, mentally retarded you get exempted from military service.

also you don;t have to go if you;re a homosexual...

I would rather kill myself then doing the military service for china.

In germany homosexuality is not a reason for decommission!

South Korea actuall;y

and I can sign up to go as a translation infantry because I can speak english
I jsut need to take a test

My brother got in as a translation infantry this year. Lucky bastard

When i did the "exam" you have to pass to get into the army, it was mandatory, for men atleast, but i don't think it is anymore. Even though the exam is mandatory, you can just make up any excuse, or actually just say you're not interested, and you're free too go. Two of my closest friends are in the army now.

Does every man have to have their head shaved if they do it?

If you can shove all your hair under your helmet without anything showing I don't think youhave to cut it. But you then have to keep it that way for the whole fucking year, so it's better to just cut it.

EDIT but I'm only 16, I haven't been to the army yet so I'm not 100% sure of that...

Yes, every1 has to go to the army... If not, then a year in jail, and then afterwards you can ask president to let you go earlier off jail, which usually works and it's usually 6 months by then. The time that you have to do the service is 6, 9 or 12 months, depenging which kind of soldier ur trained to be. And if you do social service which means no weapons or anything army things, that's going to be 13 months. But I personally think that there the hair just would get on your way, I can imagine how you have just couple mins(or less) to do the showering, and if you have long hair, of course it takes bit longer than for others.. So I'm afraid that I just have to cut my hair too :erk:

Alexi would be full of rage if he was made to cut his hair. He's probably prefer to wear a shower cap the whole time or go to jail for a year.

I don't want to cut mine but if I had to, I wouldn't mind because I'd like to start again.