MINETHORN - "Junk Jive Noir" - reviews

http://www.metalteamuk.net/may09reviews/cdreviews-minethorn.htm

It’s no coincidence that this piece of Black Industrial ambiance from Minethorn is reminiscent of The Axis of Perdition, as they share two band members and a record label. I don’t know if it’s me but the style which The Axis of Perdition, Aborym and co. purvey seems to be less prominent these days, having reverted to its natural underground home. Here it makes a welcome return, but Minethorn’s contribution is less brain-twisting. Nevertheless my impression of ‘Junk Hive Noir’ was of a grey day and piles of dead bodies, with the only light coming from the furnace amid the mass of machinery operating to capacity. If you’ve ever been to Appleby Frodingham steelworks in Scunthorpe, you’ll have a picture.

This album isn’t monophase at all, nor is it monotonous. It’s clinical, for which read ‘well produced’, and this is a plus point but it’s far more than an exercise in the reproduction of an industrial wasteland. Each track has an identifiable rhythm which makes it easier to hang on to than The Axis of Perdition. The environment is not lost on account of the ‘melody’. The basis of the soundscape is the real world in all its harshness.

The first two tracks are dark and sinister. Sirens sound. The delivery is forceful in a similar way to Red Harvest. It slows down on ‘Consumer’, a doomy and apocalyptic track which recalls early Cult of Luna. ‘Detrivore’ comes crashing down, again like a Cult of Luna epic. The beat is steady, the bass pounds ominously. There’s a background wall of sound. The track ends with an industrial explosion and the crashing of hammers. ‘Compactor’ signals a change of direction. It has a fast beat with twists. There’s a chaotic air, but it’s well strung together. The sound of a car alarm serves as background to another doomy track. The distant anger and despair again recall Red Harvest. ‘Reign’ features a punishing, yet rich and catchy riff, sandwiching a sinister doom section. The vocals have the air of Lee Dorrian but in an Extreme Metal context. A dark and classical synth-driven end leads us into the magnificent ‘Voivox’. This is utterly dark and apocalyptic. The synthesiser whistles, the drum rolls menacingly, while the guitar tone is slow and strident. It’s despairing and sad. The vocal distortion just adds to the nightmare. Finally, ‘Transmission Ends’ has a sort of ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’ feel about it. Kraftwerk would have revelled in this one. It comes from the heart of the factory with its complete range of mechanical sounds. The job is done.

‘Junk Hive Noir’ captures a particularly sinister mood but is all the more appealing for its twists and variety. A lot of thought has gone into this. It’s a dark and at times nasty journey but one which is well worth experiencing.

http://www.myspace.com/minethorn
http://www.code666.net

Andrew Doherty

Minethorn - Junk Hive Noir

69%

Although Minethorn labels itself as an industrial metal band, I reckon it would better be described as a black metal band with some prominent death metal influences and maybe some industrial twists. This British band is a side-project of guitarist Brooke Johnson and Junk Hive Noir is their debut album.

Junk Hive Noir has a very raw edge, although the production is pretty clean. It’s always good to hear a band maintaining their rough attitude, but yet put a lot of effort in the quality of the release. When listening to the album, I recognize that Minethorn gently shifts from a sinister kind of black metal, via a more doom like sound during 'Consumer' towards a more and more death metal orientated 'Volvox'.

The album is surprisingly varied, yet I don’t seem to get into the flow. It might just be because of the death metal aggressiveness, because overall Junk Hive Noir has some nice aspects with the addition of the synthesizer. I guess if you like the combination of Red Harvest and Kraftwerk, this is the album for you and you should definitely check it out.

http://www.imperiumi.net/index.php?act=albums&id=9069

Mine[thorn]
Junkhive Noir
CD
[ Code666 ]

( 6½ )
01. Density
02. Leftover
03. Consumer
04. Detrivore / Conversion
05. Compactor
06. Reign
07. Communion
08. Volvox
09. Transmission Ends

Kesto: 44:04

Mine[thorn] on äärettömästi ääretöntä teknoapokalypsia teknologisesti lähestyvä tumma industrial metal -bändi, jolle todellisuus on loputon jono ykkösiä ja nollia. Junkhive Noirin maisemat valottuvat negatiiveina, pikselisinä ja pirstaleisina, mutta jokaisesta kuvasta henkii silti selkeä sanoma ihmisen itsensä päälle levittämästä vääjäämättömästä tuhosta. Samaa viestiä kantaa myös levyn nimi Junkhive Noir.

Vaikka levyn herättämät mielikuvat ovat selkeän voimakkaita, ei itse lätyn musiikki ole aivan yhtä voimallista. Se on jo totutun kaltaista, black/death metal -vaikutteista ja tunnelmallista industrial metalia, jota mm. The Axis of Perditionilta on saatu kuulla. Itse asiassa Mine[thorn] jakaakin sekä nykyisiä että entisiä jäseniä tuon kyseisen yhtyeen kanssa. Kenties Mine[thorn] jyrää Junkhive Noirilla hieman TAoP:ia death metal -henkisemmillä ja painavammilla riffeillä. Mine[thorn] onkin debyytillään yleisesti ottaen varsin metallinen ilmestys, eikä se lähde kollegoidensa tavoin luotaamaan dark ambient -polkua kokonaisten kappaleiden ajaksi. Toki bändin kokonaissoundissa on paljonkin ambient-sävyjä, mutta särökitarat säilyvät silti pääosassa läpi levyn.

Osittain tästä syystä Junkhive Noir onkin hivenen yksipuolinen albumi, eikä se pääsekään yllättämään oikeastaan missään vaiheessa. Levyn soundi on kuitenkin kiitettävän kokonaisvaltainen, ja myös laulu toimii mainiosti osana äänimaisemaa, eikä niinkään erillisenä julistavana ulottuvuutena. Junkhive Noirilla on siis paljon hyviä elementtejä, joista sen linjakkuus on hieman paradoksaalisestikin yksi tärkeimmistä. Uskoisin kuitenkin, että Mine[thorn]:illa on varaa kehittyä nykyistenkin kehystensä puitteissa, kuten melodisuuden kanssa flirttaileva Volvox osoittaa. Äänikuvaa on mahdollista tehdä vielä syvemmäksi, ja samalla voidaan karsia pois niitä kaikkein ilmeisimpiä ratkaisuja etenkin kitarariffien tasolla.

http://metal.de/cdreviews.php4?was=review&id=12733

Black Metal mit Industrial-Einschlag – wer mich ein wenig kennt, wird wissen, dass ich bei solchen Ankündigungen ähnlich einem Pawlow’schen Hund in unwillkürliches Sabbern verfalle. Die Ähnlichkeit beschränkt sich dabei nicht nur auf die Konditionierung, einen Reiz (eben genanntes Genre) mit der Befriedigung eines Bedürfnisses (dem nach guter, spannender Musik) zu verknüpfen, sondern geht so weit, dass ich – genau wie der Hund in freudiger Erwartung – leicht enttäuscht werden kann.

Genau das muss ich leider über das MINE[THORN]-Debut "Junk Hive Noir" sagen, dessen Titel, Artwork und Label (Code666) sehr vielversprechend auf mich wirk(t)en. Im Grunde ist auch alles da, was ich von einem Industrial Black Metal-Album erwarte: Dissonante (in diesem Fall sehr tief gestimmte, wenn nicht gar siebensaitige) Gitarrenwände, steriles Drumming, das eher an eine Maschine denn an ein organisches Gefüge erinnert, verzweifelte Vocals und: abgefahrene Elektronik. Alles da – aber warum können die fünf Engländer, von denen zwei auch bei AXIS OF PERDITION tätig sind, mich dann nicht in ungezügelte Begeisterung versetzen?

Da gibt es gleich mehrere Gründe: Zum einen wäre da der Klang der Gitarren, der für meinen Geschmack einfach zu stumpf und zahnlos ist – natürlich will ich keine Staubsauger-Gitarren hören, aber ein paar Höhen mehr dürften es schon sein. Die Riffs sind dabei gar nicht von schlechten Eltern und zeigen die kreative Kraft die hinter MINE[THORN]. Gleiches gilt für die Elektronik, die abgefahren, kühl und damit eine echte Bereicherung ist. Daran habe ich (ausnahmsweise) auch gar nichts zu meckern. Das kann ich wiederum von den Vocals nicht behaupten – diese grenzen sich zwar deutlich von Black Metal-typischer Intonation ab (sprich: Sänger Gez Romano ist eine ganze Ecke tiefer unterwegs), wirken auf Albumlänge aber zu eintönig.

Was mich – und das habe ich schon im Review zur DAMNED SPIRITS‘ DANCE-Scheibe geschrieben – aber am meisten "stört" (das ist eigentlich das falsche Wort, es müsste heißen "was mich am wenigsten begeistert"), ist das fehlende Feeling, das "Junk Hive Noir" vermittelt. Die neun Stücke sind allesamt ganz nett, sowohl in Kreativität und technischer Umsetzung - aber eben nicht mehr. Ich will von Industrial Black Metal in Beklemmung versetzt werden, ich will Endzeit-Stimmung (total ausgelutschter Begriff, aber ihr wisst schon, was ich meine...)! Bekomme ich leider beides nicht.

Ich muss, bevor ich zur Punktevergabe komme, relativierend hinzufügen, dass ich 1. erfahrungsgemäß gerade im Industrial Black Metal nur schwer zu beeindrucken bin und 2. offensichtlich irgendeine geschmackliche Diskrepanz zur den Verantwortlichen hinter Code666 aufweise, denn "Junk Hive Noir" ist nicht die erste Platte aus diesem Hause, die mich nüchtern betrachtet total vom Hocker hauen müsste, es aber einfach nicht tut. Allen, die zum Beispiel auch ABORYM total geil finden, sei ausdrücklich empfohlen, die Platte mal anzutesten.

http://www.heavy-metal.it/recensioni/album_templ.php?id=2808

4/5

I Minethorn sono un side project di Brooke Johnson e Ian Fenwick degli Axis Of Perdition, ed in effetti i legami con la band "madre" si sentono. "Junk Hive Noir" è un macigno black industrial dalle intenzioni ambient, un ammasso di sonorità capaci di ricreare nell'ascoltatore una sensazione di "postapocalittico sporco" (quando durante l'ascolto si pensa a futuristici macchinari biomeccanici viene più in mente la ruggine che lo scintillio delle cromature) e di desolazione. La cosa veramente interessante è che tuttavia l'album non risulta monotono, i Minethorn riescono infatti ad essere piuttosto vari (per quanto permesso dal genere) e la produzione è veramente adatta alle sonorità proposte: l'ascolto scorre così abbastanza bene, anche se il genere non è esattamente "easy listening".

"Junk Hive Noir" si può quindi considerare un album riuscito, sicuramente non per tutti, ma probabilmente in grado di dare delle soddisfazioni alla maggior parte delle persone che apprezzano le sonorità che offre (sebbene infatti i Minethorn non si inventino nulla di nuovo, quello che fanno lo fanno davvero bene).

www.live4metal.com/reviews-765.htm
Minethorn - Junk Hive Noir (Code 666) Review by Steve Green
minethorn-r765.jpg
Minethorn are from the North East of England and feature a couple of members of the Axis Of Perdition, so, as you might expect, there is a certain level of dark ambience to be found here. The core is a twisted take on an old school Industrial one, which is very bleak and not particularly welcoming, and I'm not really sure what to make of it.
Having (presumably) lost the biog that came with the cd, I did a bit of digging around online and I kept reading about the albums clean production. I must be listening to a different album as I find the production extremely claustrophobic and it feels as if there's a molten mass of extreme metal fighting to free itself from the suffocating cocoon that drags
this album down. To me, this sounds like Red Harvest or Killing Joke on half speed, whilst they are kept captive in the dirtiest and darkest of prison cells. In a word, sinister. www.myspace.com/minethorn

From avantgarde-metal.com:

This time, and maybe only this time, I took the "Avantgenre" labelling from the official promo sheet instead of inventing something. "Biomechanical Disturbance metal" - that is how the band calls their music and it is fitting so well I just have to leave it at that.

MINE[THORN] features member Brooke of AXIS OF PERDITION, and while their latest effort "Urfe" (a kind of "audio book" with ambient background) just was not for me, MINETHORN actually features music, and not that bad either. In fact, it is rather good, and this is where the "Biomechanical Disturbance Metal" comes in. To get an overall picture, one could draw comparisons to HAVOC UNIT, THE AMENTA or RED HARVEST – MINE[THORN] play the same kind of menacing Industrial Metal, and they have done their homework well. Heavy riffing on a brutal Death Metal basis, nicely implemented industrial sound effects and omnipresent, but subliminal synths do justice to their labelling and invoke pictures of barren, factorial landscapes of iron, rust and mechanical junk. In the promo sheet it is stated that "MINE[THORN] simply wish to create music that is both crushingly heavy and rich with visual identity". No exaggeration of the label here, they succeeded with that intention.

There are a few downsides as well. First, I let MINE[THORN] slip into the Avantgarde-pool only because to my best knowledge there are still not that many bands of this style around. Where it not for the other bands I mentioned above, they would appear more innovative, but as it is they still need to step out of the shadows of these bands.

Second (and this is my main problem) - the drums. Sure, the drummer has great and interesting ideas. Yet, either he lacks the skills to execute these ideas with the needed exactness or the triggers have been maladjusted – to cut it short, the drums (namely the base drum) are much too unprecise, it sounds as if the drummer is trying to keep up with the tempo or as if he can't transpose what he wants to do. The drum sound in addition is crystal clear so this strikes even more. And this takes much of the impact which MINE[THORN]'s music does indeed transport - compare to the drums of for example THE AMENTA (I am sure they did some tweaking in the studio afterwards though); this is what this kind of music needs, exactness and brutality with the drums and this is something MINE[THORN] lacks.

Despite that, I am sure that MINE[THORN], should they record another album, do have the potential to erase these flaws. "Junk Hive Noir" is, as it is, still a definite recommendation for fans of this genre and aforementioned bands.

Tentakel P.

From Terrorizer.
Since they now seem to be on a mission to distance themselves from anything off centre (and generally nose dive into turd) anything remotley outre is reveiwed and placed online so this is from the blog.
Its also worth noting that I wrote in to avant gardemetal.com and explained the druming issues where down to my technical ineptitude with an (at the time) new recording process and they where kind enough to anotate the reveiw for us to that effect and even provide some technical recomendations for avoiding the problem in future.

MINETHORN
'Junk Hive Noir'
CODE 666
Of course, Axis Of Perdition’s ‘Urfe’ has been the most startling and unflinchingly ambitious record of the year, but there are moments when such an unrelenting barrage of abject insanity becomes hard to handle, and who better than Minethorn for such times. An Axis alter ego featuring three members of the Middlesbrough troupe, Minethorn takes a similar, techno-dystopian aesthetic, yet injects it with a good deal more heads-down riffage and (comparatively) straight-ahead metallic shapes, in that manner clearly directly descended from the likes of Fear Factory and Strapping Young Lad, yet hurled more into a mire of disorientating dread not unlike fellow cyborg-fanciers Red Harvest. In a sense, however, the atmospherics here are more cinematic, bringing to mind nightmarish future wastelands with their grimy grandeur like some hallucinogenically-fried Ridley Scott. What’s more, Minethorn’s palpable intensity and singularity of vision holds the poor doomed eavesdropper rapt throughout. Strange and unearthly hi-jinks are clearly afoot in Teeside these days. [7] JIM MARTIN

It's strange, the moment I took out a whopping great 2 year subscription with Tez, they started excluding the more abstract styles of extreme music and putting pop-death bands on the cover. Oh well, what can I do (apart from not renew when it comes around)?
Still, 7/10 is pretty decent. Surely decent enough to make it into the mag.

I'm still irate about a measly quarter-page The Axis... interview earlier this year. You release your most interesting and massive piece of work and they give you quarter of a page to (not) talk about it after giving it 9/10! Unbelieveable!