Mini-Review of Chico, CA [ May 20 ]

The Grayfox

Gravesinger
Feb 27, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I know it's late as hell now, but I kept forgetting to review this show here. Better late than never, right?

I went with my girlfriend, and a few friends up to Chico to catch these guys, along with Nevermore and In Flames. It was a great show first of all. It was my second time seeing Evergrey, the first being in San Francisco in '04.

Evergrey's setlist was pretty much the same as the rest of the tour:

Blinded
More Than Ever
She Speaks to the Dead
Monday Morning Apocalypse
Obidience
Still in the Water
A Touch of Blessing

It was awesome to hear the new songs, especially Still in the Water. Amazing live. Evergrey was of course dead on, and put on a very solid performance.

The main reason I'm writing this review is because after the show, I was able to meet the band, and talk with them for a little while. Usually I don't stick around after shows, but I figured why not this time. I'm glad I did.

I have to say that Tom is easily one of the nicest people I've ever met. My girlfriend and I approached him, and he was very friendly right away. Tom gave her a hug, and I shook his hand and told him that they were awesome on this night. He said thank you, and asked if I had ever seen the band before. I told him that I had, a few years back in San Francisco. He mentioned not liking the venue they played at, which was the Avalon. As he put it, the venue was "weird".

By this time, my buddy Eric joined in the conversation, and asked Tom some guitar-related questions. Tom said he had to go do something, but that he'd be right back. Tom went and grabbed a cigarette, and popped up, and exclaimed "I'm back!" - you know, a lot of people wouldn't have actually come back, but he did, and I thought that was very fucking cool. Tom introduced us to several people, including Henrik, Michael, Rikard, and Van Williams from Nevermore.

One funny thing to note: I shook Henrik's hand, and then he went to shake my girlfriend's hand, and Tom goes "This is a lady, give her a hug!" - pretty funny. Jonas was the only one I didn't meet, because he was busy with something. I wanted to talk to him about some drum-related stuff, but I'll save that for next time.

All in all, it was a really cool night, and Evergrey was the main reason for it. They were all extremely nice guys, and I appreciate them taking the time to talk to us. A very classy band. Tom mentioned that Evergrey would probably be back in the states around the Fall. I'll be there for that.

To the Evergrey guys - thanks for making my night. :headbang:

cool stuff....

yeah, the EG guys are all class acts and quite approachable... I'm sure they're having a blast on tour meeting so many people