mitch's gnarly lows

EvanTheInfamous

New Metal Member
Oct 16, 2007
San Diego
i know that fool doesnt inhale because inhaling is gay and SS is pretty much one of the farthest things from gay ever. but man live, them lows sound crazy. all the gnarly vocalists out there (perhaps even mitch himself?), care to discuss technique?

i think i discovered the secret yesterday but i refuse to share it. this knowledge i will take to the unholiest of metal graves. actually, holy. satan's a loser, bro.

yeah man, id have to agree. out of all the lows ever recorded ever, mitch has the gnarliest. im trying to figure it out. is he really special? does he record them a certain way (they sound different live)? what's the deal? i want mine to sound comparably gnar.

yeee allshallbow prove dat ish ritt nitty. you got samps or no? link it up, foo!!!

yeah man, id have to agree. out of all the lows ever recorded ever, mitch has the gnarliest. im trying to figure it out. is he really special? does he record them a certain way (they sound different live)? what's the deal? i want mine to sound comparably gnar.

yeee allshallbow prove dat ish ritt nitty. you got samps or no? link it up, foo!!!

he pulls off the same gnarly growls live

but i wouldnt call them the best ever recorded

Thanks for all the kind words...
And as for everyones Q's
I do not inhale, just from singing every day for months @ a time I'm just constantly learning new shit I can do. Just like practice makes perfect.
And about the diff. between the cd vocal sound and live sound is live I'm able to put the mic. up to my mouth. And during the recording of the record, I was a foot away not able to even get close to or touch the mic.
Hope that helps.

yeah when i record i have to cup my hands and get as close as possible to the mic which is not too close what with the spitcatcher and all that. its just odd how strikingly different you sound from cd to stage. a little proximity to the mic goes a looooooooong way i guess. thanks so much for your time man, this question has been bugging me ever since i saw you in suckramento. cant wait to get back to so-cal.

I definitely say that mitch's lows are low and brutal, but honestly, what makes a good vocalist to me is being able to at least moderately understand what they're saying. While his low's are really heavy and whatnot, it's difficult to understand him compared to his peers such as Job For a Cowboy, Black Dahlia Murder, etc.

It's not difficult to get that low. As a vocalist I know exactly what technique he's using to hit those lows and it fits the music well, but that's all I can say about it. Don't get me wrong, I think Mitch is a good vocalist, but I just don't think that looking up to someone's lows because of how low and indistinguishable they are is a good thing to do.

I definitely say that mitch's lows are low and brutal, but honestly, what makes a good vocalist to me is being able to at least moderately understand what they're saying. While his low's are really heavy and whatnot, it's difficult to understand him compared to his peers such as Job For a Cowboy, Black Dahlia Murder, etc.

It's not difficult to get that low. As a vocalist I know exactly what technique he's using to hit those lows and it fits the music well, but that's all I can say about it. Don't get me wrong, I think Mitch is a good vocalist, but I just don't think that looking up to someone's lows because of how low and indistinguishable they are is a good thing to do.

care to go further into technique, man? if you could explain like anatomically whats going on when you growl that low that would be chill.

and i like mitch's vox waaaaaaaaaaay better than blowjob for a cowboy or black dahlia. theirs arent that low, just grunty. i mean sure you can understand them but mitch has this gnarly resonance with his i dont hear very much at all these days.

i find it sounds better when i dont aim my vocals so low, you know? like still in my chest range, so the notes remain nice and full. the fundamental sound (my actual voice) is not that low at all, i let the overtone (the "scream") do the work for me and sound low.

and if i try and aim them too low they dont resonate and just sound shitty.

anyone agree/disagree have any opinions???

care to go further into technique, man? if you could explain like anatomically whats going on when you growl that low that would be chill.

Not that I DON'T want to, but I can't. I'm a vocalist, not a fucking anatomy major here.

and i like mitch's vox waaaaaaaaaaay better than blowjob for a cowboy or black dahlia. theirs arent that low, just grunty. i mean sure you can understand them but mitch has this gnarly resonance with his i dont hear very much at all these days.

What are you talking about? Theirs are probably lower as far as voice pitch goes as opposed to this "gruntiness" that you're talking about. There are plenty of grindhardmetaldeathcore bands that are doing the exact same thing Mitch is doing right now, he's not unique in that sense. Suicide Silence is just the most popular band doing those lows as of right now.

It's like when Slipknot first came out, I'm sure you would have sworn they invented death metal and that their singer was worthy of :worship:

i find it sounds better when i dont aim my vocals so low, you know? like still in my chest range, so the notes remain nice and full. the fundamental sound (my actual voice) is not that low at all, i let the overtone (the "scream") do the work for me and sound low.

and if i try and aim them too low they dont resonate and just sound shitty.

anyone agree/disagree have any opinions???

I have no idea what you're talking about. Not that I'm saying you're wrong in any way here, it's just hard to get a visual of all this when you're on a forum. In order for us to communicate on vocals effectively we'd have to be A) In front of each other vocally demonstrating our techniques, or B) Anatomy majors.