Mix feedback wanted. Rusty as hell and need help balancing this mix to get it louder.

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Updated mix:

The last one I did was way too bass heavy which was making everything muddy. Now I feel like the guitar is a bit too treble-y, and maybe I need to reduce the mids more on the sim also? And bring the bass up maybe? Anytime I try to bring the bass up it seems to overtake the entire track, and figuring out how to clip stuff like kick and snare properly so it doesn't destroy the headroom is hard :/

This mix is pretty bass lite IMO. Almost nothing has any energy below 200Hz or so it would seem, also have to struggle to hear the kick and bass. You may have a monitoring issue causing you to not hear accurately what is happening in the mix. Compression makes the low stuff behave and sit better.

This mix is pretty bass lite IMO. Almost nothing has any energy below 200Hz or so it would seem, also have to struggle to hear the kick and bass. You may have a monitoring issue causing you to not hear accurately what is happening in the mix. Compression makes the low stuff behave and sit better.
Thanks! The last mix I posted on here everyone said was too muddy and bass heavy, so I guess I went too far in the other direction. Aside from that how does it sound? I'll up the kick and bass

It's really bright and brittle. Reduce the harshness on the guitars at 5k. Snare is too trebly, I'd up some 200Hz to give it body. Reduce the verb on it.

I think the bass guitar could work like that if you let the kick take the sub 100Hz lows.

Some great free VST's for getting clean loudness are GVST GClip (use this first to clip the loudest peaks) and Vladg Limiter No. 6 (it looks a bit intimidating but you only need to turn on "ISP Fast" and turn the output up, no need to touch anything else if all you need is clean volume.