Mix i'm working on.

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Local band from Ohio i did a quick 2 song demo for over a weekend. We used real amps on this one as well. Was a fun project, let me know what you guys think of the mix so far.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610605/Bullshit/Dispirit.mp3

New room, new mastering. Just got in my new studio and did a quick master on this old mix. I used my Yammy hs80m as i do not have my Opals here yet and or any room treatment. I can tell you what though, a bigger mixing room helps you hear things you don't hear in a small room. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

I did not even tweak mix at all and only the mastering. Kinda smashed as well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610605/Bullshit/New Room Beast.mp3

Fuck my face.. This is amazing! Your guitars are the best I've heard here. Literally.

Yea the last thing i did was a 1db guitar up mix (this mix). I love loud guitars but I think i might pull them back down and let the drums come back into play.

holy shit josh. Lovin this man.. Guitars are creamy. You do anything anything different with these vocals than your usual routine?

holy shit josh. Lovin this man.. Guitars are creamy. You do anything anything different with these vocals than your usual routine?

Yea, I sent the vocals to a buss and put the cla-2a on them to top it off. Also i triple tracked all the vocals just to do something different. This is 3x the work for a screamer so be careful if you are on a deadline. Trust me i just had a different singer blow his voice on the last day doing this and I had no open dates for months and they had to finish in a different studio. Which sucks cause i would have like to have it all the same with the same mic and pre.

By the way, around 40 seconds or so, there seems to be something really weird going on, on the left? It may just be me, I'm not sure.

EDIT: It's more like 20-25 seconds, I believe. My player doesn't show the time in the song, so I can't be sure.

It sounds like the two snare samples were blended together and they aren't quite lined up. I can hear this weird "almost flam" noise at some parts. Kinda bugs me:(

Huh, I wonder if its the original snare mic doing this (I kept all the drum mics in the mix) or even the tom mics. I have a gate on it and might be firing weired or something. I tried side chaining the gate from trigger but i lost all the attack on the snare and toms when i did this. I even tried sliding the trigger tracks early with no luck.

I checked all the samples originally and they seemed spot on. Guess its time to check it again.

The only thing i would say is the snare is maybe a db too loud over here and the kick isnt very present in the mix, maybe bring up the clickiness or bring kick up in general. As far as the leads go man, wow. Would you care to share you chain for your leads? Any post? Thanks man! Sounds good!

joshua - is there a bass in this?....
its really empty and hollow sounding.
there seems to be a huge hole in the mix in the lower mids esp. at 120hz.
just pointing that out, hopeits of any help to you.
also i can really say i like the guitars... i liked your podfarm stuff more. and i honestly thought it was podfarm the first time i heard it.

just being honest here , because your stuff is usually top notch!