Mix my bands album for fun!

I just found this thread and have been wanting to practice so thank you haha. I did the first song B-Vera which I really like. Let me know what you think of my mix. I havent been doing this for very long so feedback is appreciated :D

I didnt use your songs as a reference I just went with what I wanted it to sound like.

I would say that it needs a little more low end and some more reverb on the snare as it's a little too tight! But nice job as a beginner man! Keep it up!!!

Behold my 4am laptop speaker mix of B-Vera! Nice one for uploading the files, man.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4132580/B-Vera .mp3

Sorry for leaving out the final minute or so, I haven't sorted the levels or panning because I'm too damn tired.

Not a problem at all buddy! Thank you for mixing it at 4am hahaha :D

sounds like it was mixed on laptop speakers (a little thin) but other than vocals being a little too quiet imo it seems balanced! So nice job!

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is really tasty man! Nice job!!!

Thanks for the kinds words good sir! Appreciate it :) The tracks are a blast to work with (when i have the time to work it)

Cooking up a fresh mix from Darker Days as we speak :)

Edit :

And here it is :) Pretty much the same as my other one, used another snare on this one. Vocals do need some work automation wise but you'll get the idea.
Only thing i did different (which makes a huge difference) is that i tried out the SSL Duende pack, i used the Bus Compressor on this mix and boy does that sound different from the Waves SSL Compressor! Definitely gonna buy that one someday, the whole mix comes to life. Makes it sound way smoother/organic and less static then what i'm used too

I would say that it needs a little more low end and some more reverb on the snare as it's a little too tight! But nice job as a beginner man! Keep it up!!!

Thanks man. I tried messing with another one of your songs, did the drums a bit different, well... everything just a little different and I hope its better than the other, so let me know. I probably still need more low end because im still figuring it out. I did add more reverb to the snare but I dont know if it is too different just trying not to overdo it haha.

Thanks for the kinds words good sir! Appreciate it :) The tracks are a blast to work with (when i have the time to work it)

NP problem buddy! Thanks for the efforts! The remix of DDays was nice! Kick could do with a little more thump but it works nicely! Great job!

Really diggin' that snare/kick combo man.

I had a go at Ignorance:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4132580/IgnoranceMixMaster2.mp3

This one sounded a little too far back for me. Almost like the mix was behind a wall. So REALLY up that treble man! But it sounds like it has a shit tonne of potential! Excited to hear an update on this :D

Thanks man. I tried messing with another one of your songs, did the drums a bit different, well... everything just a little different and I hope its better than the other, so let me know. I probably still need more low end because im still figuring it out. I did add more reverb to the snare but I dont know if it is too different just trying not to overdo it haha.

This sounds REALLY aggressive and in your face man it's great! BUT on a whole it is a little too thin sounding. If you can up the phatness of the whole mix I think you may be onto something here!

Had another go at this to try and nail the Lamb of God guitar sound.
Got pretty close I think.
Mesa MK4 to Recto cab to 57 & 421.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/Karhu-B_Vera.mp3

This sounds REALLY good man! The kicks are REALLY meaty, sounds like slapping a piece of steak on a wooden board :D The snare verb is VERY LOG perhaps a little too present int he mix for me. Reminds me of the Sacrament snare.

The clean vocals also have a verb that's too loud I think! If it's any help we've always mixed both vocals pretty much the same other than EQ.

here is a first attempt. let me know what you guys think.
http://soundcloud.com/tomrip/darker-days-test-mix-for-a

As a first attempt it's not bad man, but there are a few instant things I noticed. firstly the mix sounds like it's in mono so that might be worth a fix :D

The guitars could also do with a little more gain!

Keep going though man you'll get it ;)

This sounds REALLY aggressive and in your face man it's great! BUT on a whole it is a little too thin sounding. If you can up the phatness of the whole mix I think you may be onto something here!

Hmm... Any tips on what I might be able to do to make it a bit more thick? I can think of a couple things to try, but Im still kinda new to this so I want to know as many tricks as is possible haha.

Hmm... Any tips on what I might be able to do to make it a bit more thick? I can think of a couple things to try, but Im still kinda new to this so I want to know as many tricks as is possible haha.

Easoest way is to start over from scratch, with the mentality of focusing on low end being there. Then you'll probably overshoot it, so then redo it again with that in mind and hey presto there ya go! You can keep rebuilding from the start with a newer updated vision and it'll get better each time :D

heres another attempt
https://soundcloud.com/tomrip/darker-days-yet-another-try

Please tell me whats good and whats bad. i would really appreciate it. thanks

https://soundcloud.com/zacharyalexander/b-vera-karhu-zach-alexander

The mix is on the thinner side, with the kick having very little low end. But it all sits nicely together and the kick is very in your face! All I would say is try fixing / focusing on the low end more and see where you end up! Cheers for taking part brother!

That is my attempt on B-Vera, Really really groove to it in my opinion! Great work guys on writing this song, will try get my attempt on the others done soon as well as giving everyone elses a listen and my opinions on it soon.

Hey man! I think there are a lot of drum cymbals missing on this? Like when it kicks in there is no china etc. Mix wise it's a little thin / dry but it's hard to say without the full set of instruments in there. Cheers man!

Mixed and mastered by studio x50
i hope you like it

Music is fucking DOPE m/

Thanks so much for the compliment man! Like the ones above I feel like the mix is a little on the thinner side, but the mix also sits together well and is balanced. Perhaps low end is a preference of mine since so many of you guys mix without it being as dominant as I personally would enjoy?

But either way, great job and thanks for sharing your time and effort with us man!