mixed a song yesterday, opinions?

prowlergrig

AnoThoR Fan
May 21, 2004
romania
www.audiostreet.net
worked the whole day long on it yesterday, wanted to get it done in just one day. my mixing skills are rusty at best, so i'd like to hear some suggestions

http://pandrea.rgc.ro/Mircea_cel_Batran_single.mp3 right click n save

it's mastered pretty silent, mainly cos by 1 AM my ears were fucked and i didn't want to ruin the song completely.

guitars are 2 tracks of revalver and 2 reamped by Shadow_Walker (thanks again dude!).
i'll do another final mix soon, i know i need to work on the vox, the solo and the overheads a bit - any other things i need to consider?

Downloaded your song, but haven't listened to it yet. But when I was looking at the file name "Mircea" I was thinking that sure sounded Romanian. :) What part of Romania? My wife is Romanian. Ce mai faci? I just had my 3rd visit to the country back in May. I love going there. Especially in spring and to have mici and beer in the park!

Liking the guitar tones. Revalver is making some pretty great sounds (still waiting on Gavin to post settings for his amazing sound), what was the reamping done with?

Just my opinion, but bring up the kick. Even with headphones on I can barely hear it. Maybe bring the vocals up a little also. The guitar solo is a little too up front sounding. I'd try EQ'ing it differently to thin it out some and more closely match the tonal sound of the vocals. But that's all maybe just a matter of personal preference. I tend to work more with Prog/Power metal, so maybe someone else will chime in here and give you better advice. There's people around here with a LOT better judgment than me. That's why I come here! :)
I'm definitely intrigued to hear more though. Always interested to hear any kind of metal coming out of Romania!

Bucharest eh? This last trip I took was the first time I've been able to actually spend time there and see the city. My wife's from Craiova, but I've also visited Sinaia, Busteni, Bran, Brasov, Herculane, and the Dobreta-Turnu Severin/Danube area. Beautiful country, great food! I miss it already. Don't forget sarmale!! Damn, I'm getting hungry! LOL

Some constructive critics: the mix overall is lacking hi end and is a bit muddy. Vocals are too low...I know they sound weird to people outside Romania but nevertheless :) Finally, the drummer's performance isn't very good or so it seems to me.

Sound is a matter of preference, though, so that's just my 2 cents :)

I think I have to go along with Shadow Walker's comments, but...this mix definitely sounds better. These headphones I have at work exagerate bass, and the mix doesn't sound bass heavy on them. I think it's because as stated above, the mix is a little muddy. But I like it much more than the first mix.

thanks for the comments guys. i'm aware that the hi end is low, and that's mainly because the drums were recorded under pretty bad conditions and i wanted to mask that as much as possible. also, as you've noticed, the drummer isn't exactly the best on the planet so i mixed the overheads lower than usual. i still think it's a cool sound overall if you listen to the whole album.

about the mud... i guess i'll have to keep working on that :) i definitely need a subwoofer, i'm mixing on krk V4s now - they have great clarity, but don't produce much low end, obviously