Mixing is fucking hard

@ermz yeah you can call me that :)
Ok, i dont know if there is a client base for me either because somehow many bands out there dont want to pay up to get a professional product, its all to suppose to be free... sigh* but thats another issue.

But do you have atleast a vocal both?? You can get a good small room to record vocals and guitars for a resonable price. And of course its mainly in the hands of the operator, but it helps to have good equipment good room etc, agree?? ;)

But we still have to have some faith, dont we?? jens bogren (and many others, off course) made it and hes quite young, so there is always people who succeed, becoming pro's :)

I honestly don't feel I need gear or rooms to 'take it to another level'. It's all in the operator, so it's my own skillset and ear that needs to improve to take it anywhere. Ok well that's a slight lie, I do have a few compressor clones coming, but mixing with outboard is a lot more fun...

I'm pretty sure a decent sized and well-treated mixing room would do miracles for you ;)

@ermz yeah you can call me that :)
Ok, i dont know if there is a client base for me either because somehow many bands out there dont want to pay up to get a professional product, its all to suppose to be free... sigh* but thats another issue.

But do you have atleast a vocal both?? You can get a good small room to record vocals and guitars for a resonable price. And of course its mainly in the hands of the operator, but it helps to have good equipment good room etc, agree?? ;)

But we still have to have some faith, dont we?? jens bogren (and many others, off course) made it and hes quite young, so there is always people who succeed, becoming pro's :)

I agree man, but you have to understand that things are different in Australia. We're a secluded sector on the world's ass end. Bands here have virtually no prospect for success, so there is no incentive to pay for professional products.

My only prospects for any relatively measurable level of success are to get work from abroad and mix, mix, mix, and hope that one day I make enough money to move back to Europe and live there, then start this whole process of building my way up from nothing again. The very ideal endgame scenario is the CLA thing - to just mix day in and out.

You are somewhere that you can actually buckle down and start a studio. I understand - and more power to you for doing it. It's a gamble, no matter where you do it. I hope you have success.

crillemannen, I just listened to your samples and I must say they sound excellent! Awesome work :headbang:

I agree with you, but I still wanna add:

Mixing is fucking fun

:)

I think it's one of the most addictive things in life. Whenever I start a mix, I just can't stop because I just have so much fun.

Btw Ermz, I think your work isn't at same level than lot of sneapers (me inclu). Now you can see a world I hope see after many years of hard work:lol:

Like most people said, I think editing is way worse than mixing. It's more ''mechanic'' and no creativity is used during the editing process. My fun during mixing is that I have the feeling to create something. Tbh, I still enjoy composing more than recording/mixing, but the more I discover tricks and techniques the more I enjoy mixing. You just can't believe how much I have fun putting reverb/delays automation on vocals soloed, and then listening with the whole mix how they sound.

most enyojing to most boring

mixing>micing stuff>recording>editing

sometimes recording and editing switch the places.

Yeah I'm familiar with all those cliches. Many here have already heard this, crillemannen, but to shed some perspective of where I'm at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Music/Untruth - Drones.mp3

I think the drums are definitely loud enough, on my equipment I'd like to bump up the bass a tiny bit though.

That being said you are probably the most underrated mixer here by far, and one if not the best IMHO. People are always constantly sucking some people's (one guy comes to mind) dick but your mixes (compared to his, IMHO) each have something original to them, drums always have that good sense of space and fatness and every detail that makes a mix crushing IMO.

I think the drums are definitely loud enough, on my equipment I'd like to bump up the bass a tiny bit though.

That being said you are probably the most underrated mixer here by far, and one if not the best IMHO. People are always constantly sucking some people's (one guy comes to mind) dick but your mixes (compared to his, IMHO) each have something original to them, drums always have that good sense of space and fatness and every detail that makes a mix crushing IMO.

I completely agree with you, I personally think Ermz, Lasse and Murphy are the three best mixer on this board. At least, the best mixes I heard here were from these 3 guys.

but your mixes...each have something original to them

Thanks man. That means so much to me, you don't even know.

It's always possible to play it safe after you've developed your 'sound' and just template it all across to every artist you work with. That just makes you a production line - another safe bet for the labels to exploit. The true artistry in this profession is finding a band's unique sound and bringing it out. This is where trying to get a high caliber mix can be so frustrating... it's like reinventing the wheel each time. Wouldn't have it any other way though - it's one of the most painful and yet rewarding processes in my life.

@crill: I may just take you up on that one day when I go down to beg Plec for an assistant position :lol:

PS. Love some editing from time to time. Doing that mechanical process over and over can be really soothing, though it heavily depends on the quality of the original takes. Trying to reconstruct a botched performance from the ground up.... not so cool.

Is fucking time taken. If i start to mix two bands tomorrow i will lose two weeks of life. For some guys mixing is like gambling, it's a very fun thing to do while the life is passing by.