Mixing is fucking hard

The true artistry in this profession is finding a band's unique sound and bringing it out. This is where trying to get a high caliber mix can be so frustrating... it's like reinventing the wheel each time. Wouldn't have it any other way though - it's one of the most painful and yet rewarding processes in my life.

+1
This is why I love Daniel Bergstrand.

Thanks man. That means so much to me, you don't even know.

It's always possible to play it safe after you've developed your 'sound' and just template it all across to every artist you work with. That just makes you a production line - another safe bet for the labels to exploit. The true artistry in this profession is finding a band's unique sound and bringing it out. This is where trying to get a high caliber mix can be so frustrating... it's like reinventing the wheel each time. Wouldn't have it any other way though - it's one of the most painful and yet rewarding processes in my life.

He's right man. So many people on this board take this bullshit production line approach to mixing rather than trying to mix it up with each different project.
I don't think enough good can be said about your work and you far from get the respect you deserve.

</dick sucking>

He's right man. So many people on this board take this bullshit production line approach to mixing rather than trying to mix it up with each different project.
I don't think enough good can be said about your work and you far from get the respect you deserve.

</dick sucking>

Hahaha, but Ermz, your mixes are fucking awesome dude, some of the best I have heard on this website:headbang::headbang:

i'm just doing all the recording stuff 4 my own band, and there's just times were its a huge PITA. like somedays i feel like i dont even know what i'm doing, other days i run around with a big grin just because i discovered something new.
like the EQ some years ago :D

i think the most painfull part is to hear the same songs/or troubling parts over and over again...especially if it is ur own stuff.

but most of the time its fun, and when u have a final result that is satisfying, it was worth the whole lotta work.
but anyway, reading ur frst post Ermz makes me feel even more like a musician than engeneer-something ;)

Thanks man. That means so much to me, you don't even know.

It's always possible to play it safe after you've developed your 'sound' and just template it all across to every artist you work with. That just makes you a production line - another safe bet for the labels to exploit. The true artistry in this profession is finding a band's unique sound and bringing it out. This is where trying to get a high caliber mix can be so frustrating... it's like reinventing the wheel each time. Wouldn't have it any other way though - it's one of the most painful and yet rewarding processes in my life.

@crill: I may just take you up on that one day when I go down to beg Plec for an assistant position :lol:

PS. Love some editing from time to time. Doing that mechanical process over and over can be really soothing, though it heavily depends on the quality of the original takes. Trying to reconstruct a botched performance from the ground up.... not so cool.

Have you read Mixerman? Great book, and it goes over a lot of what you're talking about.

Nah, more rock. Electro is mostly all done in-house. Composed, arranged, mixed etc. by the same person. I considered pop, but baby steps... its much easier to stomach Paramore and Nickelback than Kesha and Lady Gaga. ugh.

Lady Gaga fucking owns, end of story.

Ugh. I like Ke$ha but Lady Gaga seems to have a real problem with consonants. It sounds like she has her mouth permanently wide open while she's singing. Plus every song has some fucking nonsense repetition.

Not to derail the thread.

But yeah I like rock. I think out of all the genres it probably has the best ratio of wannabes:can-actually-play. Metal is just too hard for most people (who don't put in the time to practice) and everyone seems to think pop is a piece of cake, when it's not at all.

Ermz, stop thinking, start mixing.

You're talented, you have experience (how exactly did you get to intern with Nordstrom again? Wowzers.), and you just need to stick with this all and have some faith in yourself as well. You obviously have a knack for music, so it's just a matter of refining your skills.

Those Untruth mixes were pretty astounding. If you want some advice from a fellow engineer, if you care to consider it, one thing you can do to improve your mixes is back down on teh loudness factor and concentrate on avoiding clipping. Professional work should not have audible clipping on it and more recent mixes I've heard from you have. All you need to do is keep raising the bar for yourself, as you said. Trust yourself as well. Sometimes you can make mistakes that end up teaching you a lot; other times you will stumble upon something magical.

I suppose I feel the way I do about guitar tones the same way you feel about mixing; every step along the way, I try to make an improvement that requires less work in the long run. I have been doing VERY minimal, if any eq at all on any of the recent projects I've worked on. I used to have to do a billion things to make the guitars to sound good. I know what I have to do now, and nitpick myself until I'm making my clients happy and myself happy. Hopefully, I will strive for something more and keep shooting at it.

I have the same approach, maybe a year or two back i also used to have a shit load of stuff going on eq, etc when i was mixing, nowdays for every mix i seem to use less and less EQ, but with that my micing skills, and my ears are getting better and better noticing what sounds good.

And a good mix starts out with great recording, and yeah Ermz cheer up it's only music :)

and btw i was the intern @ studio fredman ;)