Mixing practice (full song, real drums)

This is badass, thanks for the track! Has a definite old-school black metal vibe to it. I'm also reminded of Borknagar's Empiricism album. Awesome work!

Thanx for sharing the tracks, reineisgod. Great song and nice recording. Who's that band and what's the name of the song?

@fin: You have very good balances and the drums sound quite punchy. But you seem to have a dip in the lower midrange that takes away the authority and boldness of the song. The vocals could stand out a bit more.

@reneisgod: The replaced drums do not really sound like one instrument. That clicky, machine gun kick is a bit too much for my taste. The vocals are buried in the mix and get covered by the keyboards, but they sound really good and you seemed to have gotten the sibilance under control. The keys need some serious EQing to just bring out the frequencies that they belong to and ruthlessly cut away everything that fights with other tracks, especially the vocals and guitars.

Here's my mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2134101/sneapforum/reneisgod%20-%20Bannockburn%20%28RiF%202%2C%202011-09-23%29.mp3

The vocals went through a cranked BAE1073 (reamped so to speak) and a Distressor in Dist2-mode to add a shitload of distortion and compression. The 2bus carries my hardware GSSL compressor, Waves MPX and IK clipper and brickwall limiter. The drums do not have any sample-replacement and get parallel compressed with a Waves CLA-76 in all-buttons mode, which really squashes the stuff. I used that Big Room track during on the up-beat of the break where just the guitars play to make the drums really huge. Other than that, not much automation going on here. The synth tracks really occupy a lot of space, more than there's room for. Therefore I really cut away a lot of low end and low mids on them (HPF up to around 500 Hz) and tried to boost just the frequencies that make up the important part of their sound.

I appreciate any comments.

Thanx for sharing the tracks, reineisgod. Great song and nice recording. Who's that band and what's the name of the song?

@fin: You have very good balances and the drums sound quite punchy. But you seem to have a dip in the lower midrange that takes away the authority and boldness of the song. The vocals could stand out a bit more.

@reneisgod: The replaced drums do not really sound like one instrument. That clicky, machine gun kick is a bit too much for my taste. The vocals are buried in the mix and get covered by the keyboards, but they sound really good and you seemed to have gotten the sibilance under control. The keys need some serious EQing to just bring out the frequencies that they belong to and ruthlessly cut away everything that fights with other tracks, especially the vocals and guitars.

Here's my mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2134101/sneapforum/reneisgod%20-%20Bannockburn%20%28RiF%202%2C%202011-09-23%29.mp3

The vocals went through a cranked BAE1073 (reamped so to speak) and a Distressor in Dist2-mode to add a shitload of distortion and compression. The 2bus carries my hardware GSSL compressor, Waves MPX and IK clipper and brickwall limiter. The drums do not have any sample-replacement and get parallel compressed with a Waves CLA-76 in all-buttons mode, which really squashes the stuff. I used that Big Room track during on the up-beat of the break where just the guitars play to make the drums really huge. Other than that, not much automation going on here. The synth tracks really occupy a lot of space, more than there's room for. Therefore I really cut away a lot of low end and low mids on them (HPF up to around 500 Hz) and tried to boost just the frequencies that make up the important part of their sound.

I appreciate any comments.

The only thing I don't like with your mix is the snare. But then again, older black metal always had shitty sounding instruments. lol. Everything else sounds pretty good!

The only thing I don't like with your mix is the snare. But then again, older black metal always had shitty sounding instruments. lol. Everything else sounds pretty good!
Thanx for the comment. Yes, I might have used a bit too much of that bottom snare to make it cut through the mix enough.

Love the song as im a big fan of black metal ! :)
So really good job on the whole thing !

I gave the mix a go here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1709665/MeloBlackSrene.mp3
I went in a different direction then some of the others here, I wanted to give it a more raw-ish "black metal" sound than "modern metal".. think wolves in the throne room-ish (big fan of the production of their cds) hehe.

No automation and still need to tweak some stuff.. but the base-mix should be down heh

Thanks for the opportunity! Really enjoyed this one.

Pretty darn satisfied with my try, first draft so there might be some changes frequency wise. It's a little different then what i normally do mixing wise, but i like the outcome and i think it suits the style.

You might wanna turn up the volume, there's nothing on the masterbus except for a little bit of compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill be uploading another full track soon this time with reamps
provided by (Scott Aitkens @ Grindstone studios) Cradle of Filth, Behemoth, Gama Bomb......

The reamps are going through the exact same rig as used for Cradles
''darkly darkly venus aversa''

Should have a full track uploaded for you guys to mix next week sometime.

We will likely be looking for someone to mix the whole album by this point.
But ill make a seperate post on that when the time comes.

Ill be uploading another full track soon this time with reamps
provided by (Scott Aitkens @ Grindstone studios) Cradle of Filth, Behemoth, Gama Bomb......

The reamps are going through the exact same rig as used for Cradles
''darkly darkly venus aversa''

Should have a full track uploaded for you guys to mix next week sometime.

We will likely be looking for someone to mix the whole album by this point.
But ill make a seperate post on that when the time comes.

Ah cool! PM me if you ever need any orchestrations/keys done with eastwest samples. I did some on the latest Sarah Jezebel Deva album.