MIXING TIME, SONG3: Complete Feared song inside

Perhaps people should post more descriptions of what they actually did with their mix...

All off the top of my head but

Guitars were re-amped through maxon od 808 => mesa dual rec => Mesa os 4x12 => sm 57 and i5 fredman style micing => saffire pro 24 mic pre's

They were then hp/lp and bussed and a little eq applied to add some high's and cut some low mid mud and also some multi band comp on the low mids

Bass was duplicated one for the lows one for the high's i eqed out some string noise on the high track and added some distortion then bussed them together and did some more eq and a lot of compression with a limiter on the end to really pin it.

Drums were S2.0 the kick replaced with sneap/slate sample blend and snare had some slate blended in but not much mostly s 2.0 snare sound. Reverb on the snare and toms was stillwell plugin i cant remember the name. I also have a lot of paralell comp on my drum sound for kick snare toms and drum bus.

Vocals already sounded great i just did some standard eqing, compression and some automation to sit them right and sends going on for some plate verb and stereo delay

Master was my standard quick fix job hp set at 20hz 18 db roll off stero buss compressor for glue doing about 2-3 db reduction 2 clippers back to back each with about 2 db of gain and a limitor on the back to give you the extra bit of rms lol mine was not as loud as some of the mixes here but for a good reason it compromised the mix to much when i pushed it to match the others its still pretty loud though.

All off the top of my head but

Guitars were re-amped through maxon od 808 => mesa dual rec => Mesa os 4x12 => sm 57 and i5 fredman style micing => saffire pro 24 mic pre's

They were then hp/lp and bussed and a little eq applied to add some high's and cut some low mid mud and also some multi band comp on the low mids

Bass was duplicated one for the lows one for the high's i eqed out some string noise on the high track and added some distortion then bussed them together and did some more eq and a lot of compression with a limiter on the end to really pin it.

Drums were S2.0 the kick replaced with sneap/slate sample blend and snare had some slate blended in but not much mostly s 2.0 snare sound. Reverb on the snare and toms was stillwell plugin i cant remember the name. I also have a lot of paralell comp on my drum sound for kick snare toms and drum bus.

Vocals already sounded great i just did some standard eqing, compression and some automation to sit them right and sends going on for some plate verb and stereo delay

Master was my standard quick fix job hp set at 20hz 18 db roll off stero buss compressor for glue doing about 2-3 db reduction 2 clippers back to back each with about 2 db of gain and a limitor on the back to give you the extra bit of rms lol mine was not as loud as some of the mixes here but for a good reason it compromised the mix to much when i pushed it to match the others its still pretty loud though.

Cheers for the info James. Just wondering, what stereo delay are you using?

Ok here's my real mix from the real beginning (not like my previous one with the Elevator Music) and a run down of what used.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4040966/GG LRA mix 03.mp3

Guitars: Ran the DI's out of my 003rack at about -30.3db into a Radial ProDI then straight to the Triamp mkII. For each of the Rhythm DI's I recorded 2 mics in the Fredman Tech positions with 2 SM57. Cab used is a Randall ISO cab with a C30 speaker. Rhythm tracks are panned 100 on both sides. On the solos I just used 1 mic and a Tubescreamer plus some delay from a GMajor (also recorded another solo track just dry to use later if neccessary). The Extra guitar tracks I just left in the middle to fill that gap up. I bussed the rhythm tracks to a Aux input where i put some verb and EQ, boosted 200hz by 3db, took out some 500hz -3db, and boosted 5khz by 3db.

Bass: Used the SansAmp plugin, a compressor just to even out the sound, and some EQ to Cutoff anything 90hz or below and to raise up 137 hz by 3 db.

Drums: Used SD2.0 Avatar kit, found tweaking this kit was better than Metal Foundry, but I'm still trying to get a good sound still from Foundry.

Vocals were just right, only had to adjust their levels and group them up in PT if i had to adjust them all at once, just used a bit of Verb on the bussed vocal track.

I plan on doing the rhythm tracks again with a 421D mic next week.

Well still a work in progress, so critique away!

Updated mix with backing solo track

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2658737/Feared-LRA4-Syns.mp3

Kick = DFH Sonor (1st version) + Pultec
Snare Top = Pultec + LA2A + Gclip + Voxengo Curveeq

Rhythm Guitars = Amplitube3 (Lead Metal V + Catharsis Impulses + C4 sneap)
Lead,Solo,Extra Guitars = TSE 1.6 + Catharsis Impulses + HPF/LPF)

Bass = SSL Echannel + LA2A (LPF 4k, Boost 2k)

Vocal = 1176 + LexVintagePlate (no eq)

Master Bus = FATSO + Manley Massive Passive + LinMB + Eventhorizon + L2