MIXING TIME, SONG3: Complete Feared song inside

Here's my mix.
http://stashbox.org/881286/Feared-Mix1.mp3

Guitars: TSE X30 with Ryan's impulses -> gate -> HP/LP -> compressor (light)
Middle Guitar has chorus and delay (during intro etc.)
Bass: Ampeg SVX -> EQ -> Compressor and blended with EQ'd DI track.
Vox have quite a bit of compression + light verb & delay. Minimal EQ.
Drums: Superior 2.0 blended with samples from Erkan's sample pack download. Kick is a blend of samples, some pitch shifted to suit. Parallel compression on kick and snare. Sample replaced snare was EQ'd before some light reverb, then heavily compressed.
Overheads: HP and very light compression.

Mixed on poor earbuds, but sounding okay. Opinions are most welcome!

Edit: Updated mix with some slight modifications.
http://stashbox.org/881552/Feared-Mix2.mp3

Seems that people want opinions. Authorities and wiseguys usually talk or "teach" too much without giving actual clips or examples. Why should I try then...don't know, but here's some common observations and conclusions I have made:

1. Imo, every mix posted here is far away from what people relate "pro" recordings. This obviously includes my mixes too, even I'm a bit happier with them these days.

2. Whatever, I still think best way to learn is trying to clone other guys mix, preferably some appreciated recording. We should practise with those as long as it takes and we definitely should make more cover sessions, I'll even donate every good one I'll find.

3. Bass/low end seems just overwhelming in many mixes...never heard so much in commercial recordings.

edit: last mixes & tests always linked from my latest post.

Batch1_example_1. A short period from your clip and then mine. Of course this is also subjective shit and it seems my master was a bit louder but I guess you see my preferences.

I think the first one sounds a lot better tbh. the 2nd one isnt very balanced at all.

Do I have (rights) to post similar examples of other peoples clips?
Cheers..

I think you can do whatever you want dude.

I think you can do whatever you want dude.

Thats what you say, not sure about others. Btw, I'm trying to figure out why I can get very close to recorded reference tones with one way but that very same "system" fails (a LOT more) when I'm trying to reproduce mixes posted here. That's what confuses right now...gotta do some more tests tonight.

I think the first one sounds a lot better tbh. the 2nd one isnt very balanced at all.

Btw, I could be wrong (because there was no info about mastering plugs) but I guess there could be some kind of plugin which creates bass harmonics and my "cloning" methods don't quite track it. Then again, I haven't met similar low ends in commercial records. So I guess we are then really talking about tastes - personally I don't like overwhelming low end response (..untight and muddy like resonance/depth on 10 in guitar amps :puke:) in metal mixes, perhaps in slower dance/rap music.

About this particular clip: it's all technical interest here, no better-worse controversy.

Btw, I could be wrong (because there was no info about mastering plugs) but I guess there could be some kind of plugin which creates bass harmonics and my "cloning" methods don't quite track it. Then again, I haven't met similar low ends in commercial records. So I guess we are then really talking about tastes - personally I don't like overwhelming low end response (..untight and muddy like resonance/depth on 10 in guitar amps :puke:) in metal mixes, perhaps in slower dance/rap music.

About this particular clip: it's all technical interest here, no better-worse controversy.

Well, maybe I just dont see were you wanted to go with that clip...because it didnt sound very similar to me...but as you said, it seems you don't manage that yet...

About the low end: listening to my clip again I feel like I overpowered the low end a bit :lol: should have backed off the bass but anyway....
I also dont like overwhelming low end response, but I also feel like some of the commercial records could use some more low end.
But low end is a PITA on my system/in my room anway....

I dont know what you mean with "some kind of plugin which creates bass harmonics", i'd use a multibandcompressor the raise the bass on the masterbus, or just raise the bass, or fix it with some eq.
cheers

Well, maybe I just dont see were you wanted to go with that clip...because it didnt sound very similar to me...but as you said, it seems you don't manage that yet...

About the low end: listening to my clip again I feel like I overpowered the low end a bit :lol: should have backed off the bass but anyway....
I also dont like overwhelming low end response, but I also feel like some of the commercial records could use some more low end.
But low end is a PITA on my system/in my room anway....

I dont know what you mean with "some kind of plugin which creates bass harmonics", i'd use a multibandcompressor the raise the bass on the masterbus, or just raise the bass, or fix it with some eq.
cheers

Ah yes, cheers!

But while we're on it and you said you overpowered "a bit"? :lol:

I tried to get close to yours. I mean frequency-wise. Mine is this time first one and quieter master too.

I mean how teh FUUUU...some of you guys manage your low end these days?? :OMG:

...and then the next guy feels always kinda castrated if not having similar amount...

2nd one sounds better...first one sounds thin is hell.. wouldn´t buy an album that sounds like that..never.. go to a part where vocals get in..how does it sound?

Ah yes, cheers!

But while we're on it and you said you overpowered "a bit"? :lol:

I tried to get close to yours. I mean frequency-wise. Mine is this time first one and quieter master too.

I mean how teh FUUUU...some of you guys manage your low end these days?? :OMG:

...and then the next guy feels always kinda castrated if not having similar amount...

hehe, yeah, bass could go easily down some...but the song got so much BALLS, the mix need sit too lolz
if hadnt done it for fun and spend some more time with it I'm quite sure I'd lower the bass, but not as much as you do in your comparisions...
do you try to do that by ear or with freq analysis? I still dont know what you're after ^^

"...and then the next guy feels always kinda castrated if not having similar amount..." lol sorry dude, I wasn't after your balls anyway :lol:

I haven't listened to Mikko's comparisons yet (on my iPhone at the moment) but it sounds to me that Mikko's trusting frequency analyzers etc. more so than his own ears.
Eager to hear the comparison between my mix and Mikko's mix for sure.

do you try to do that by ear or with freq analysis? I still dont know what you're after ^^

"...and then the next guy feels always kinda castrated if not having similar amount..." lol sorry dude, I wasn't after your balls anyway :lol:

First: Deleuze-Guattarians can't be castrated, only infected (like vampire bites do), haha!

What I'm after is trying to create guitar tone inside the mix, not beforehand as usually...I know, weird-o. Lets see what happens with later examples.

Off-topic: One thing which annoys me this time is that the guitar in my clips sounds kinda "sampled" or continuously cutted. There could be some phase issues involved which affected my tone. If you normalize 1 sek at the start of Ola's rhythm track there is really annoying hum and noise which I tried to remove after impulses and other stuff.

Here's my latest mix of the song and some info on what I did differently

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4040966/GG LRA mix 7 TS9_421D.mp3

Thanks to the advice of a friend who's an Engineer, I reamped just the Rhythm guitars same setup but this time with a Tube Screamer in the signal line. Setting were Drive=0, Tone=1 o'clock, and Level 1'oclock. Doing this gave it some more punch which in my previous mix had a lack of, one part of the song where just rhythm guitar is happening you can hear it kind of meh during the harmonic palm muting type notes. This mix is much better even though it could use a bit more... Also different is that I used a Sennheiser 421D mic for the center. From there on is pretty much mix everything else where you can hopefully hear everything, cept for bass, that's just not in front....

On the master try I did add some 8 khz just to bring up the high end of the mix...