MMA

everyone watch VS tonight to see some WEC action.
Mike Brown is fighting Jose Aldo. It will probably be awesome.

Will do...good call. WEC has featured some great entertaining guys as well. Uriah Faber lb for lb is one of the best I've ever seen. Brown (great as well) has defeated Faber 2x's...In one of these fights Faber busted up his hand early on, basically fought with one hand...and amazingly went the distance. For some reason though I find it easier to root for a guy like Brown instead of Faber.

Hey, does anyone here actually practice a martial art?
I think I've mentioned it a few times before, but I practiced Aikido during my last year at college. I still go back every once in a while to practice, and also to help out since the senpai has designated me as the "assistant instructor," since I graduated. I'm not exceptionally talented or anything, we just weren't sure if alumni were allowed to participate in student clubs without having some kind of essential role and apparently I'm experienced enough to be useful :)

Aikido for the most part isn't something that's going to be particularly useful from an MMA perspective (it's not intended to be), but for self defense I think it's more than adequte. Anyway, here's a video that we made earlier this year. I'm the kvlt looking one :kickass:

We just recently had a demonstration on campus and there's a video of me shrugging off a much bigger guy, but it's not on the internet yet. I'll post the link when it becomes available.
I've been thinking about taking up Wing Chun since it seems pretty accessible and popular, and if I ever try living in Hong Kong for a while it might help me make friends among the locals. Anyone have other suggestions?
I've been watching Fight Quest lately and they went to Hong Kong for the Wing Chun episode, so I'm guessing it's fairly popular there. In my experience, martial arts clubs are a great place to meet people and most of my current friends are people who I met through Aikido.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, from what I've read Wing Chun is pretty big in Hong Kong - presumably thanks to Bruce Lee in large part. But yeah, it seems like a good choice in terms of practicality and for the large community of participants. There's a Wing Chun school here in Richmond too, so I may take it up pretty soon.

Will do...good call. WEC has featured some great entertaining guys as well. Uriah Faber lb for lb is one of the best I've ever seen. Brown (great as well) has defeated Faber 2x's...In one of these fights Faber busted up his hand early on, basically fought with one hand...and amazingly went the distance. For some reason though I find it easier to root for a guy like Brown instead of Faber.
Faber is awesome!
I like the guy because he isnt a douchebag like alot of dudes. and he is just a badass.
the Brown vs Aldo fight didnt end how I wanted :(
Aldo is fast as fuck. Insane.

Faber is awesome!
I like the guy because he isnt a douchebag like alot of dudes. and he is just a badass.
the Brown vs Aldo fight didnt end how I wanted :(
Aldo is fast as fuck. Insane.

Yeah...I looked up the Brown WEC profile the other nite and not knowing, saw that he lost to Aldo...it was already posted as a loss on his record...oh well. I didn't want to mention it as a possible spoiler? I didn't even get a chance to see the Brown / Aldo fight...fill me in if you will?

I agree with you on Faber. He does kinda come of a little cocky but you can live with it...because he also shows alot of class and is so fuckin good and impressive he is hard not to like?

yes. very very fast.
have you seen any of his other fights?
He beats a guy in 8 seconds with a gigantic flying knee. It's nuts

I don't remember seeing him before..but I'm gonna look up his fights for sure. He seems like the real deal.

In Jan. Faber will take on Assuncao. I assume the winner will get a shot at Aldo?

I think I've mentioned it a few times before, but I practiced Aikido during my last year at college. I still go back every once in a while to practice, and also to help out since the senpai has designated me as the "assistant instructor," since I graduated. I'm not exceptionally talented or anything, we just weren't sure if alumni were allowed to participate in student clubs without having some kind of essential role and apparently I'm experienced enough to be useful :)

Aikido for the most part isn't something that's going to be particularly useful from an MMA perspective (it's not intended to be), but for self defense I think it's more than adequte. Anyway, here's a video that we made earlier this year. I'm the kvlt looking one :kickass:

You sound knowledgeable enough to ask so...

when you first started did you have difficulty adapting?

I just started Muay Thai 4 months ago and i'm having trouble with balance and center.

Keep in mind I have only had 21 lessons and practice mostly alone.

any suggestions would be appreciated man.

bot... Machida is such a clean fighter. I love how effortless and smooth he is http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhta2_rich-franklin-vs-lyoto-machida_extreme

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound knowledgeable enough to ask so...

when you first started did you have difficulty adapting?

I just started Muay Thai 4 months ago and i'm having trouble with balance and center.

Keep in mind I have only had 21 lessons and practice mostly alone.

any suggestions would be appreciated man.

bot... Machida is such a clean fighter. I love how effortless and smooth he is http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhta2_rich-franklin-vs-lyoto-machida_extreme
I can't really make any specific comparisons between Muay Thai and Aikido, because they're almost polar opposites on the martial arts spectrum and also because I've never practiced Muay Thai. However, I think the first few months of any martial art will always be the hardest, especially if you've never done anything like it before.

When I first started doing Aikido, my only previous experience was in high school wrestling, so there were a few biases that I had to overcome. First of all, wrestling is mostly about overpowering your opponent and there is a lot of struggling for a dominant position. In Aikido, there shouldn't be any struggling and you should never try to overpower anything. Rather, you either encourage your opponent to generate their own force so you can exploit their momentum, or you move around their force and take advantage of a weak area (such as a pressure point, or a joint manipulation). Fortunately, I wasn't a particularly good wrestler, so it was fairly easy to "forget" it :)

Aikido is a very "balanced" art though and the founder went to great lengths to minimize the effort needed to perform any technique. There are no exotic forms or superfluous movements and it's based around the idea of maximum efficiency with minimum effort. That's not to say that every practitioner is perfectly balanced, but establishing balance in Aikido is probably easier than in most arts simply because the founder had the foresight to exclude the more dangerous and unsteady techniques from the curriculum.

Anyway, as far as adaptation goes, while most new people are able to perform the techniques superficially, they do still have trouble getting used to the subtleties of each technique and, while they're not falling down all over the place, they do generally put themselves into positions that would allow them to be overtaken by a more experienced fighter.

I'm not familiar with the Muay Thai curriculum at all, but I'm guessing that these subtleties are what you're talking about. Without knowing exactly though, I really can't give you any good suggestions, so my only advice would be to continue your practice with a qualified instructor and senior students.

congragulations, krigloch, I knew you were going to win. I wish you continued success and hope you become more than just a gatekeeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgCkRoOy-uU#t=5m50s

roy_nelson_3.jpg

Glad to see Roy win personally. Despite his appearance, his conditioning was better than most of the contestants on the show and he had some incredibly solid punches. Maybe the win against Kimbo Slice wasn't a total fluke. Plus, Brendan Schaub and James McSweeney were a couple of cocksmokers and I would've never watched UFC if they won.