Modded DS-1 is fantastic!

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
I ordered this mod online:

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#DS1DRectifier

What it did:

Gives 3 different flavers of gain (all really nice too)
Gives this pedal some fucking balls (body if you will)
Clears up the honkyness
Tone knob is more even
Brigter clear green LED (although thats just something nice to make it stand out)

This pedal is now usable. I will post clips and pics soon! :headbang:

Yeah, DS-1s can be pretty badass if you show them a little love and learn how they work. If you want to get into modding and see what else can be done just get one of those and a TS-7, find mod pages online, and start playing around with stuff.

Jeff

Yeah, DS-1s can be pretty badass if you show them a little love and learn how they work. If you want to get into modding and see what else can be done just get one of those and a TS-7, find mod pages online, and start playing around with stuff.

Jeff

Yeah dude I have a feeling this is going to become an addiction. Thinking about building a pedal from scratch next go around. o_O

Not hard, but you might like the SD-1 changes better. The SD-1 has asymmetrical clipping (changes harmonic content, a lot of people think it sounds more 'tube-like' to have that kind of clipping) and some other changes. You can mod a TS-7 to 808 specs - it's a TS-9 with a different sticker and clicky knobs.

For a first build, try Aron Nelson's Smash Drive - interesting smash-the-fuck-out-of-an-op-amp circuit and it's easy enough to get you used to the way things work but good-sounding enough to be on your pedal board for a while if you like goofy smashed distortion. Link is at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/smashdrive_lo.gif for a PCB, you can just use wires and perfboard to get the same stuff done if you don't want to get into PCB etching.

You'll also be interested in guitar preamps - whether you're going for gain or a lower impedance for driving pedals, you can find something neat that'll fit in some cavity somewhere. Hell, Matt Bellamy has fuzz boxes built into his guitars, give it all a try. Preamps are also good ways to figure out how simple circuits work, the intro project at diystompboxes.com/smfforum is a basic preamp that'll help you get started if the Smash Drive is too much at first.

The most helpful thing to do if you don't want to jump into building from scratch is to start taking out resistors and putting pots in their place - granted, with a DS-1 or an SD-1 you'll want to know which ones do what before soldering in twenty potentiometers, but doing that can tell you a lot about what does what in a circuit.

If you have any questions, PM me and I'll start throwing around links - be careful, though, it's addictive as crack on crack.

Jeff

Yeah, some quick searching and you'll wind up with amazing stuff for cheap. There's something floating around called the 'giant-killing $5 mic preamp' that's based on a TI op-amp (that they literally give away as samples if you ask the right way) and that sounds absolutely amazing. All of this stuff is great fun to play with.

Jeff

You can mod a TS-7 to 808 specs - it's a TS-9 with a different sticker and clicky knobs.

Jeff

Sorry to hijack GuitarGodgt.
I was going to post a new topic regarding this till JBroll mentioned it. My vocalist, who stopped playing guitar, just gave me his old TS-7 and I'm wanting to do "the brown mod" on it. Do you know of any site with instructions (for schematic beginners) on modding the TS-7? I know i need these parts. But i don't want to take the risk in guessing where to add/replace these parts.
I've googled my ass off and all i could find was this site, with step by step pics but it doesn't really help me without any written explanation.

...would i have to buy the instructions?

Lots of things are called the 'Brown Mod', I don't know exactly which one you're referring to. For the components, you won't need the op amp or the socket (you can put in a socket if you want to rapidly switch out op amps, but few people really care about that) but you'll have a bitch of a time trying to figure out what those are or where they go.

Let me know what you want out of that pedal and I'll see if I can figure out what needs to go where. I wouldn't buy the instructions just yet, but if you can find me a schematic this'll be a little easier.

EDIT: Nevermind then.

Jeff

...ssshit! i was looking the wrong F*@king instructions.

Anyway i meant modding the TS-7 to sound like the 808. If i don't need those components, then what should be on the list?

TS-7 schematic

Aah, that was the page i thought was the wrong instructions. Because of the difference in board size and model, i thought it would be a different setup. thanks alot for the tips though. :)