The Wolfe Amplification Hellfire is DONEEEEEE

I'm going to be getting it over to Schigel sometime here soon, I may even build one for him to use for a few months to let bands try out as they roll through.

Hopefully that can get me a bit of exposure, I think he is still working with some top dogs in the music world.

By the way Wolfe if you really want to test it out you can bring it to Vegas, Hell you can crash at my place for a few days and we can record some shit with it .... hahahaha

Shit I could re-amp the feared stuff then Ola can mix it and just shoot vid for it and we can overdub the audio ;)

I've decided to make some changes to the Hellfire already. After careful thought and input from potential buyers, I have decided to omit some features that are cool to have but unnecessarily increase the price. For instance, I have white LEDs lighting up the inside of the head-shell. Looks kinda cool, but totally pointless, and a pain to wire up. Ditch those and I free up space due to not needing a resistor/diode/cap/extra turrets. Also, I have a hole extra power transformer for the heaters. This allowed tubes like KT88's to be used. I'm going to ditch that. It will still be able to handle EL-34s if you don't like 6L6's. The per tube bias controls are great in theory, but everyone buys matched sets anyway, so I'm going to switch it to a more user friendly pair bias. That also cuts down on user error. There are a few other things I went overboard on circuitry wise that I can ditch(won't change the sound of the amp at all). I'm going to have my FX loops PCB based, since a person I know can make them. This cuts down on a whole bunch of turrets which saves a ton of money.

All of this should drop about $500 from the price tag.

So I just need to redo the layout with the changes and rig up a new board and drop it in the current ones place. Shouldn't take to long to get it up and running again. Also I have done the layout for the 10 watter, should be a neat little amp. Just have to order the transformers for it and get a test board set up.

Edit- Almost forgot, I'm also going to be replacing some components that weren't Rohs compliant. So now I'll be able to ship overseas with no worries.

This might be the ultimate hardcore amp. Not that much chugga chugga but I see a lot of Born From Pain and Hatebreed style bands using these

I'm curious how it'll sound with a TS in front.
From what I heard it lacks a bit of attack.
I like the sound of it, awesome job!

Also keep in mind that you have to be able to give some product 'service' like a repair service and such, definitely work that out very good before you start selling your amps, and test the hell out of it to assure it REALLY works well.

Wolfe, why the extra xformer for the KT88s? Don't EL34s and KT88 have the same current needs (1.5A IIRC) ?

Btw, that led thing lighting up the headshell is REALLY a PITA. I tried that on my amp and it was a mess. Much easier with those led strips fed from a 12v supply.

Jang, depends on the brand of tube. Some KT88's pull a few hundred more miliamps than the EL-34's depending on brand. The PT I'm using had just enough to be safe with most EL-34's, so I didn't want to push the limit. By adding the other transformer strictly for filaments I was able to do a bit different routing for stuff since it could feed the power tubes and preamp tubes separate. But as you can see, it was highly unnecessary. I couldn't find another transformer from the company I use that has higher specs either, and getting them custom made would add way more to the cost than I would like. I think it would be safer just to tell customers only to use 6L6 and EL34.

Yeah the LED's are a PITA. especially with trying to keep the wiring looking nice. Just adds way too much clutter, and in this amp it really took away from the 'aura' of the tubes natural glow.

Yeah, and with good KT88s running $100-something a pair, it is really not worth it. You could add a KT88 optional mod for an additional fee, if the client really wants that.

I would humbly suggest not taking away the option of KT88s (or other tubes). If I were to guess, with amp sims becoming better and better in the years to come, real amps will have to offer as much versatility/features as possible.
Of course, it all depends what kind of buyers you're looking to get.

I would humbly suggest not taking away the option of KT88s (or other tubes). If I were to guess, with amp sims becoming better and better in the years to come, real amps will have to offer as much versatility/features as possible.
Of course, it all depends what kind of buyers you're looking to get.

That's the problem I'm running into, is that anyone currently that would buy one doesn't need that feature, and would like the price to be cheaper. So I'll save the idea for a bigger amp down the road.

Ship the prototype to one of the reamp gurus, and have Ola make some brand new awesome DI's to send to said reamp guru. Send the track to someone else to mix, and someone to master, and put up the most awesome amp demo ever.

Also...give all the sneapsters (involved) a nice discount on the first batch