Monitor Help (M-Audio)

Old Man Doom

Dec 9, 2012
oldmandoom.bandcamp.com
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my new M-Audio AV40s. I've searched this forum but can't find any threads with answers, so I need to start one.

At lower volumes the the left monitor (the one with the amp) is noticeably quieter than the right passive monitor. From my research, this seems like a more or less common issue with this particular monitor pair, so it's not an individual defect in my pair. The only thing I can think that causes this is M-Audio's low quality pot, which is unavoidable due to the cost-to-qaulity ratio (I understand the argument for better, more expensive monitors but I need these now and I don't have the funds for Equators or higher quality ones).

All-in-all, this doesn't present a "huge" problem, as I'll be using these mainly for my record player and for mix referencing, but I'm wondering: is there any way to work around the issue? At higher volumes the difference between right and left is not really apparent, so I have an idea that I could just turn the output of my interface/computer/record player down and just turn the volume on the monitors up to compensate, but how will this affect the overall sound? I'll mostly be having these at medium levels, but I do need the lower volume to work on mixing.