Monitoring with Plugins and VST's

I know but you've always been part of the conversations that have helped me. For instance when i first started learning the "basics" Your comments where there. And when i started getting more advanced....i could find your comments. Your always part of the discussion that i wanted to be in on....if that makes any sense.

Cool! Well thanks for that.

I hope you're happy with Cubase 4 though, but I definately think you could've given REAPER a chance.

reapers coded extremely lightly, and is very "lite" in nature, but all the power and functionality of a big named DAW is there in a much faster, tighter, more compact/stable package. i've been from cubase sx3, to reaper, to PT 7.4 LE, back to reaper, and i still feel most at home in reaper. there's nothing i can't do, in my most recent project i recorder a drummer without a click, tempo mapped the entire project, warped off beat parts to grid (ala elastic audio) and then converted the drum hits to MIDI and sent to superior2.0, blended the MIDI with overheads/room mics, and then had four instances of BTE TS > nick crow amps > boogex going at once, not a single crash, not to mention countless busses/sends routing madness sending MIDI here and there and vocal busses and yaddayadda. there was not a single piece of functionality that i used in cubase sx that i didn't find atleast matched or better in reaper. In protools, there's beat detective/elastic audio, but reaper comes DAMN close to matching both with equal transparency and a few extra clicks.

once you really delve into the meat&potatoes of reaper you find yourself repeatedly impressed with the powerful algorithms going on in the background.

point #2: one of the regulars on here (i forget who, sorry!) maybe audiogeekzine?? ran a side-by-side with reaper against protools and posted some stats, such as latency, start up time, CPU usage, etc., and reaper absolutely slaughtered in every category, but that's to be expected purely because of its sole size/efficiency. case in point, it makes absolutely no sense that cubase would have less latency than reaper with the same number of tracks/plugin chains.

point #3: ALWAYS UPDATE DRIVERS! make sure you're using the latest presonus ASIO drivers from their website and do a firmware update. this can sometimes shave off a few milliseconds, as the developers iron out kinks and streamline their coding a little all the time.

in my most recent project i recorder a drummer without a click, tempo mapped the entire project, warped off beat parts to grid (ala elastic audio) and then converted the drum hits to MIDI and sent to superior2.0

Oh man, I really need to learn how to do this in REAPER! Tempo mapping and "warping" ... I remember it's easy as piss in Ableton Live to warp audio but I haven't found an equal way of doing it in REAPER, but maybe it's just a different approach.

Oh man, I really need to learn how to do this in REAPER! Tempo mapping and "warping" ... I remember it's easy as piss in Ableton Live to warp audio but I haven't found an equal way of doing it in REAPER, but maybe it's just a different approach.

Ye needn't seek any further than the very first stickied link at the top of the Reaper forum! haha:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=14737

From there, warping is as simple as making a split at every tempo marker (you can automate this process) and then setting timebase to time (or ticks in protools land) and deleting or moving the automation points on the tempo track accordingly. it's actually almost the exact same process as in protools.

there's another tutorial by bevoss on the reaper forum that shows in explicit detail (screenshots and all) how to warp to grid once you've tempo mapped.

and then since we're on grid now and all, poke a little further and you'll find beat detective clone tutorials. these basically entail using reapers dynamic split at transients feature, followed by quantizing the regions to grid, and then automatically stretching all the crossfades back 5-10ms. some really neat shart.

Ye needn't seek any further than the very first stickied link at the top of the Reaper forum! haha:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=14737

From there, warping is as simple as making a split at every tempo marker (you can automate this process) and then setting timebase to time (or ticks in protools land) and deleting or moving the automation points on the tempo track accordingly. it's actually almost the exact same process as in protools.

there's another tutorial by bevoss on the reaper forum that shows in explicit detail (screenshots and all) how to warp to grid once you've tempo mapped.

and then since we're on grid now and all, poke a little further and you'll find beat detective clone tutorials. these basically entail using reapers dynamic split at transients feature, followed by quantizing the regions to grid, and then automatically stretching all the crossfades back 5-10ms. some really neat shart.

Freakin' awesome, thanks for giving me some stuff to study :) Cheers man.

Hey I'm using Cubase Le at the moment.....I highly want to stress AT THE MOMENT. hehehe. Anyway. I was wondering.....is their anyway to Monitor Live feed with Plugins, VST's, EQ's, whatever in real time. I am using a presonus Firepod to record In and Monitor out.....So their is absolutely NO latency.

To answer teh original post: Click that yellow speaker

ballseq-cubase.png

Not as famous as the OP seems to get be getting around these parts in the last 2 days:lol:

You dont understand that this forum is like jesus to me. I had no idea it existed. All other kids in high school wanted to be in a band. I wanted to record. I never knew a resource like this was available. It's different here. I think it's that people aren't shitty.

Oh my god... I haven't really used Cubase much before so I haven't thought much about what it looks like, but that looks like a pile of shit! Goddamn, it looks like a fuckin' ATM's software. Can I withdraw 100$ bills in Cubase? Do they come out of my printer? Thanks. :)

I lol'ed.

After using Cubum for years, I honestly still don't give a shit how it looks, personally.

Oh my god... I haven't really used Cubase much before so I haven't thought much about what it looks like, but that looks like a pile of shit! Goddamn, it looks like a fuckin' ATM's software. Can I withdraw 100$ bills in Cubase? Do they come out of my printer? Thanks. :)

you can actually change a lot of the colors in the preferences menu. mine is a lot milder looking. more lighter colors, light blues, grays etc... you can also adjust the contrast of the grid, or even make your meters whatever colors you want. I find adjusting the colors to lighter ones really brings out the the highs in the mix and makes the mix sound super clean and clear!

....:rolleyes: