Monitors

Hair_of_the_Dog

New Metal Member
Apr 1, 2006
Hey James,

Did you get these: Behringer TRUTH B2030A
or these: Behringer TRUTH B2031A?

Also what do you think of the ones you have? I'm thinking of picking up a 2nd pair just so I can have a few different references.

-Jeremy

What quirks did you find? I'm trying to get more references. Did you check out the B2031A @ a store? I'm trying to figure out if there is a compelling reason to buy or not to buy the B2031A set.

I should get Jeff to go with me and listen to some different ones.

I'm looking for a full on review of different monitors around the $200-$600 range. Anyone have any experience doing this?

What quirks did you find? I'm trying to get more references. Did you check out the B2031A @ a store? I'm trying to figure out if there is a compelling reason to buy or not to buy the B2031A set.

I should get Jeff to go with me and listen to some different ones.

I'm looking for a full on review of different monitors around the $200-$600 range. Anyone have any experience doing this?
The low end wasn't consistent enough. Part of that is the room, too, though.

Well, the biggest reason is the 2031 didn't exist when I got mine. :) The specs on the 2031 look good so if you're looking for something in that price range then they are not a bad option.

As to what monitors are good in that price range: You could ask this same question on the Sneap forum but if you mention the 'B' word people will likely freak. ;)

I've been looking at the Yamaha HS80M along with the HS10W - Powered Subwoofer. They are suppose to be similar to the NS10 which by many accounts was the reference monitor to use. I went to GC yesterday and just looked around. I didn't have any reference CDs to play, but I plan to go back tonight, with Jeff hopefully, to check them out more. The thing I noticed when I was @ GC was that they made noise when not in use. {shrug} I guess that could be a lot of things causing that. Based on reviews I've read they seem like a good choice because of the price point and how well they translate to other systems (car, home, boom box, etc). The M-Audio BX5a monitors that I currently have don't do that very well. I know that room makes a big difference, but it would be good to have a starting point I can trust and then make adjustments to the room.

I found a pretty sweet deal on the pair and sub for ~$900.

I ended up getting a pair of Yamaha HS80M monitors.
316821.jpg

They were on sale @ GC for $275 each. That is the cheapest I could find them. They sounded pretty true to me. They made Grimoire of Ruin sound pretty good. The wall proximity @ GC prolly had an impact on the bass response, but I expect that @ home as well. I checked out Opeth's Ghost Reveries and Symphony X's Paradise Lost and was pleased with how even and dry they sounded.

I'm planning on getting a desk as well. I have a 20U rack already so I think I'm going to get this one.
279821.jpg