Monster Cable suing rampage

I'm not a trademark law expert, but I do believe that if you are licensing a trademark to another company, the scope of that company's business falls under your trademark's "sphere of influence". What this would mean is that "Monster Cable" can pressure "Monster Bait and Tackle" to pay for the use of "Monster". If they accept the deal, and start paying Monster Cable for the use of the trademark, then Monster Cable can claim to have business in the sporting goods industry. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that this is how it works. So, in fact, Monster Cable can be a 500-employee business but have their tentacles wrapped around the industries represented by their licensees.

Sorry smy1 and others, Jeff may be a contentious bitch who doesn't know when to let things go, but never once have I disagreed with him, and I salute him for the pwnage I wish I could dish out :D

I read this board long enough to know his way of posting, so I pretty much expected a post like that and am not butthurt. Especially because I have essentially the same opinion, I only disagreed with his argumentation. Btw, I didn't see a pwnage anywhere.

I'll be honest. I don't care about this whole Monster-hate deal. I get their cables for 1/2 off - and I've never had a problem with them in terms of quality of reliability. The one time I broke a cable (it didn't go bad, it was due to me being an idiot) - it was swapped out that day. All my cables are either Monster or Mogami and I can't tell a difference :zombie:

Wait, so just because their product works for you, you don't care about how they go indiscriminately filing irreverent patent lawsuits against smaller companies, essentially extorting them into licensing their own name off Monster Cables Inc? I would hope for a slightly more active social conscience. No matter how big things are, this industry - our industry - is still, at its core, a word of mouth one. We rely on each other to weed out all the bad apples and keep things nice and smooth. I personally don't care about the quality of their cables, in light of their despicable crusade to extort everyone they can.

Wait, so just because their product works for you, you don't care about how they go indiscriminately filing irreverent patent lawsuits against smaller companies, essentially extorting them into licensing their own name off Monster Cables Inc? I would hope for a slightly more active social conscience. No matter how big things are, this industry - our industry - is still, at its core, a word of mouth one. We rely on each other to weed out all the bad apples and keep things nice and smooth. I personally don't care about the quality of their cables, in light of their despicable crusade to extort everyone they can.
Honestly, I've read over this whole thing and I really don't care about it. Obviously they made a smart move and got the name Monster on their side. Yeah, sucks for any company that wants to use the word Monster - but as they stated their products go far beyond musical products. If they simply were only making cables - I'm sure it would be a different story.

It may not be "cool" - but it's legal and by the book. Does that make me a bad guy for not supporting the underdog? Sure, but honestly I'm buying them based off their product and that alone.

I am bumping this thread because apparently the issue got resolved. Here is a link...

Last edited by a moderator: