morbid angel appreciation

deliverance

ecnareviled
Aug 12, 2003
NJ, usa
www.audioscrobbler.com
i love this band

alphabetically and chronological ordered albums, great songwriting, excellent live, unique guitar style, haven't released a bad record.
i also love the weird instrumental tracks that trey writes (doomsday celebration, nar mattaru, dreaming, etc...)
MA is essential for newcomers to the metal scene.

altars, blessed, covenant, domination..all incredible albums.

fff, gateways, heretic..not as good, and decreasing quality from release to release, but STILL great stuff.

discuss

They're pretty cool. I'm most familiar with Heretic, and still I've only heard a few songs from it, so I can't claim to know the band that well; however the songs I heard from Heretic were good, and the drum test track was pretty funny.

they are great, they really got me into death metal. trey is a guitar god...pete...huhhuh, fucking great. i liked vincent's vocals better...but, i think that gateways and formulas are their best two albums. that is where they really seemed to go off and do their own thing. domination is probably number three for me. i'm not really a big fan of heretic though, something seems to be missing in it. hopefully they will do a new album with vincent.

undeniably so, morbid angel is one of the founding fathers of death metal, and certainly a cut above the rest. altars of madness, covenant, domination, etc...all classic albums, all cutting edge for their time, and all absolutely essential for anyone into metal.

Morbid Angel are great, I just wish the guitar tone was not as weak sounding on a couple albums. Covenant is the first that comes to mind where the tone was so muddy and weak that I could barely stand it.

deliverance said:
same here, and i agree they were amazing.

same here also...except the there were a lot of technical problems. first, vincent's bass cut out, for a total of about 3 songs...he flipped shit and poured everything into his vocals...which was brutal...the rest of the band seemed un-phased...then, his bass came in and his vocals stopped working...he started yelling at the sound guys...absolutely flipping shit...which was funny, but a bit childish. It was understandable why they were upset though. everything finally worked for the last two songs, and the place went nuts. fucking great show!!!

.....thanks for reading my story.

They nailed the heavy groove style on Domination or possibly those few songs on Covenant. Gateways is huge and complex, and I love individual songs, but the album feels aimless to me. Heretic is strange, but I think the songs are better structured than G and it has this weird catchiness that makes me love it. So far it's the only one I own.

I don't know A, B, or F much, but I'll get to them some time.

I have their all albums.(Abomination of Desolation too.)Morbid Angel is fucking great band.Their all albums have this evil atmosphere and Trey Azaghtroth is very talented musician i love his guitar playing and songwriting , David Vincent has influenced me with his vocals.He is the master of the brutal vocal sytle:).But Steve Tucker did a great job too.So MA is an incredible band\m/

The band is resposible for getting me really interested in death metal. Just as hookladen as the mighty Death. Every album of theirs has something special about it and something that makes it equally as important as the others. Unlike other death metal bands, this band has had a more "evil" sound instead of "brutal" imo. One of the only death metal bands who achieved the evil sound in their music, wasn't that the point of death metal in the first place? Most groups just saught out being heavier and more brutal, but the package imo was complete. Those bands didn't have a real darkside. Morbid Angel's melodic playing is more original than any other band in death metal...it has it's own style and theme, kinda majestic. I feel like I'm in the kingdom of satan awating a dreadful bludgeoning. Just listen to the title track "blessed are the sick" and you'll hear what I mean, even watch the music video...dave vincent is great in that. Likewise with what people in this thread have said, the first 4 Morbid Angel albums are absolutely essential, not just for death metal fans but for metalheads in general. Go see MA live...I've seen them with Tucker, Anderson and Vincent and I gotta say the last show I went to (Vincent) was by far the best. Vincent was born to do those vocals, Peter is better live than on record and Trey just has this steve vai-like stage presence...very sweet. Hail Morbid Angel, our kings.

well this sucks:

MORBID ANGEL Guitarist Goes Missing - June 20, 2005
MORBID ANGEL bassist/vocalist David Vincent and GENITORTURERS frontwoman Gen have issued the following plea for help in the case of missing MORBID ANGEL guitarist Tony Norman (ex-MONSTROSITY):

"MORBID ANGEL are scheduled to fly to Portugal this Wednesday for a huge festival. As of today, no one has seen or heard from Tony Norman, MORBID ANGEL's rhythm guitarist, who also used to play in the band MONSTROSITY.

"He was last seen by us at our friends wedding when him and his girlfriend were seated at our table. This was well over a month ago and no one has had contact with him since that we can determine.

"We have contacted many of his friends, parents etc... no one has heard from him We think that he has recently moved within Tampa to a new place… No one seems to know where and none of his phone numbers are working…. so no one at this point is able to reach him.

"At this point David and the rest of the MORBID ANGEL crew are really worried about him as it is not like him to be out of touch. A missing person's report has been filed.

"If you know him or anyone that has contact with him… please help us contact anyone you know who might also know him or his girlfriend."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=38285