morbid angel appreciation

I saw MA w/ Pantera and a bunch of other shitty bands at the Denver Coliseum a few years ago, and seeing them was worth sitting through all the terrible acts before them. Nice to see them at a large venue, too.

Covenant, Altars, and Gateways are three of my favorite death metal albums. When someone not into metal wants to understand the difference between metal subgenres, I always pick Covenant as the DM rep.

Also, I once had a dog named Azagthoth.

BLESSED are the SICK is one of those few albums I consider classic: Albums I never tire of, which remain consistently good.
MORBID ANGEL is a very unique band within the genre, although I feel quality has declined per album since 'Blessed'.
I believe 'Formulas..' is a great album, but I have never taken the time to truly listen to it.
IA SAKKATH

I'm all about death metal, but something in the band irritates me a great deal. I've tried to listen to Morbid Angel a lot, it being one of the most important bands in the DM scene, but somehow I never manage the get the hang of it. In my opinion it sucks. By saying that I don't deny their achievements and value in DM.

Looking for a Job said:
i've heard an album or two of theirs. needless to say, they blow

Hopefully you get a job at Burger King you bitch.

I haven't listed to a lot of MA but the stuff I have heard was really good... I could tell Opeth likes them a lot. However, one problem I had was that the production value was so insanely muddy and poor... are all their albums like this??? Are there any that are better than others in terms of production and mixing??? I'd like to check them out but I must say the poor production defenitly ruins it a little for me...

deliverance said:
well this sucks:

MORBID ANGEL Guitarist Goes Missing - June 20, 2005
MORBID ANGEL bassist/vocalist David Vincent and GENITORTURERS frontwoman Gen have issued the following plea for help in the case of missing MORBID ANGEL guitarist Tony Norman (ex-MONSTROSITY):

"MORBID ANGEL are scheduled to fly to Portugal this Wednesday for a huge festival. As of today, no one has seen or heard from Tony Norman, MORBID ANGEL's rhythm guitarist, who also used to play in the band MONSTROSITY.

"He was last seen by us at our friends wedding when him and his girlfriend were seated at our table. This was well over a month ago and no one has had contact with him since that we can determine.

"We have contacted many of his friends, parents etc... no one has heard from him We think that he has recently moved within Tampa to a new place… No one seems to know where and none of his phone numbers are working…. so no one at this point is able to reach him.

"At this point David and the rest of the MORBID ANGEL crew are really worried about him as it is not like him to be out of touch. A missing person's report has been filed.

"If you know him or anyone that has contact with him… please help us contact anyone you know who might also know him or his girlfriend."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=38285

Yeah, that sucks man. Must be pretty serious if they filed a missing persons report. o_O

No contact with anyone for a fucking month? That's strange! Hope they find the dude safe.

maybe the best death metal band ever. Trey Azagthoth is a superior guitarist who deserves more guitar recognition from mainstream guitarists, not only one the best metal bands ever, bust one the best bands ever in general. ive seen them 6 times and wow, they are one the best live acts. i use to be more crazed into them then i am now, but still this band has stood the test of time

I work at a small used music store and my buddy who works with me ordered some morbid angel since metal is pretty expensive at major retail stores. He put it on during really slow parts of the day when noone was in the store - so I actually don't know which album I was hearing. Is there a certain Morbid Angel album thats well known for having "better" production value than the others???

Has anyone here checked out the band ALAS (absolute purity)... I believe the guitarist from MA is the mastermind behind all that... needless to say the band is fuckin crazy, with some interesting female vocals...