Morbid Angel - Domination is the greatest death metal album EVER.

I think the Cynic album gets praised excessively (I think it lives up to its reputation myself) because of the technical aspect and because merging prog with death metal was a radical idea at the time...and it still sounds very fresh today.

I've been considering going to see Morbid Angel and Suffocation and so I was obviously prompted to go and listen to the two albums by Suffocation I had. I've had Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced from Within for a good while and never got around listening to them, so the other day I put in Effigy of the Forgotten and it just rules. If Pierced from Within is any better, I won't know what to do. I'd definately suggest Effigy of the Forgotten along with Decapitated's Winds of Creation if you don't have it yet.

Pierced is just as brutal, only more clarity in everything.

As far as Cynic and "Focus", they were incredibly groundbreaking at the time.

And I'm sorry, Individual Thought Patterns was a step down from Human. The production is terribly thin, Gene Hoglan's kickdrums sound like typewriters... one of Burns' worst production jobs... I remember Trey from Morbid reviewing it in Guitar World at the time and expressing how it was all method and no feeling. Now, I don't necessarily completely agree with that, as I think all of Schuldiner's music was FULL of feeling, but when compared to Human or Spiritual Healing, it's not even close.

Paul Masvidal > Andy LaRocque

And Morbid Angel's Abominations of Desolation had Mike Browning on drums. Weak compared to the "Commando" Pete Sandoval.

Christ on a crutch, Demonspell changed his avatar! As long as Bush still resides in your signature, we'll be okay. :D

Oh yeah, and I fucking hate the production on Individual Thought Patterns, way too thin. Music owns though.

I'm a big Entombed fan . . . from the begining to present. But nobody has the balls that I do. 'To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth!' is a highly underated modern classic, and 2003's 'Inferno' was excellent.

Nate The Great said:
I'm a big Entombed fan . . . from the begining to present. But nobody has the balls that I do. 'To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth!' is a highly underated modern classic, and 2003's 'Inferno' was excellent.
I will have to agree with you for the most part; I thought I was the only one who enjoyed Entombed's Death-n-Roll mid-90s stuff.

Bump. I have gift certificates to spend and a will to listen to a lot of death metal. Plan on picking up some Suffocation and Godflesh.

Looking for epic stuff in the vein of Nile, not the more straightforward stuff like Death and Pestilence (enjoy them and their ilk, but have enough for now). Melechesh? Amon Amarth? Bueller?

Pick up Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten, much better than Pierced From Within.

Epic death metal ala Amon Amarth and peers isn't really my cuppa (although I do enjoy Nile, and have got all their full-lengths), but I suppose you could call Incantation - Diabolical Conquest epic (it's even got a 16 minute kick-ass song, a perfect climax for a close to perfect record). Immolation, too, can be called epic, I guess. Get Close To A World Below or Unholy Cult. Behemoth's latest offerings have been pretty epic too; check out Demigod, Zos Kia Cultus or Satanica if you're interested.

I would also recommend Decapitated - Nihility, Spawn Of Possession - Cabinet, Incantation - Onwards To Golgatha and Decimate Christendom, and Insision's "Revealed And Worshipped". Pretty brutal, but not quite as intense as Sepsism, Inveracity, Liturgy, Brodequin and the likes

Melechesh, for the love of Jehova.

Or what J. said, but I think you already have Aeternus no? Rudra is Indian folk music mixed with anthems of war - totally unique. It's like Bolt Thrower meets Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, played from the chambers of Kali Ma in the Temple of Doom under Pankot Palace.

But if you want to venture into something you haven't heard yet, Melechesh is the solution to your woes. Start with "Sphynx" - I have a CD-R of their second, "Djinn", from Doomcifer but have yet to hear it. Some people say "Djinn" is even better, but that says a lot since "Sphynx" is one of the best epic DM albums I've ever heard!